I confess - Please help

by Lady Lee 38 Replies latest jw friends

• wombat
    wombat

Damn..I still have my Christmas tree up from last year. Truely. It's a potted fig tree covered in Hindu garlands, baubles, Santas, etc. It looks so good that I just never got around to taking it down.

• siegswife
    siegswife

Phew! I thought I was the only one with that problem! LOL

Don't despair LadyLee, the symptoms can become less severe over time. Last year I think everything on our tree ended up at a different location by the time Christmas rolled around. This year, however, I've only switched 4 or 5 ornaments and some candy canes, fixed the garland and changed the setting on the blinking lights 3 times in the past week. I'm happy with the tree at this time, so I doubt that it will be tampered with much more.

Maybe next year I won't change anything. I can always hope.

Lea

• jstalin
    jstalin

Come to the light.... walk in to the light...

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Panda

LL: My solution is to put up several trees; one for last years decorations, one for this years new stuff (or the stuff you bought on sale after christmas last year) and one tree for the cat to climb in
    egads. Then I would have three times the problem I have now. And yes I buy them all during the after holiday sales. That way when the next xmas arrives I trick myself into believing I have all new ornaments

I have so enjoyed decorating for the holidays. And being mezmerized by tree lights and ornaments is just one of thos manic feel good rites of the holiday.

That's it. I'm mezmerized. Wonder if that is anything like demonized. I bet all JWs would say yes to that question!

katiekitten

Thank you for highlighting this important and undiagnosed disease.

I think I have a mild version. Every year the tree doesnt look 'quite' right. I have limited myself to an annual rearrangement, but its not quite enough. First year - WAY too many ornaments. Second year - tinsel wrong but most gaudy offensive ornaments disguarded. This year - no tinsel, most gaudy ornaments disguarded - but its still not right. Somehow they are not shiny enough...

oh wow I'm not alone. You know this misery too. Shiny Yes that's it. I want shiny. Very shiny. I want glow in the dark shiny. I started years ago with white and silver. Over the years it has turned into white and blue and silver. Now I just want glass and chrome. The blues are gone. I just want anything that reflects light instaed of absorbing it.I won't tell you about the year I went all purple. That was just so hideous even I couldn't stand it. I've never tried tinsel because I had cats and they love to eat the tinsel which is extremely dnagerous to them So I have glass or shiny acrylic ornaments that take the place of the tinsel.

Satanus

Obsessive compulsion of some kind. Possibly a regression hypnotherapist could help you find the cause, finding the cause could go a long way to controling it. 'Course, the regression could open the can of worms. Booze, meditation, or medication are my suggestions.
    Hang on here. You want me to what? For a person who has no control you want me to give up my control to a hypnotist. No No No. I can't give it up. It's mine mine All mine. And lord knows what it would uncover!!!There's demunz in there!
    wednesday
    So you do this at other times of the year? or is it just christmas? Might try putting the tree someplace besidess where you sleep. there are a number of herbal concations that will help you sleep and forget about that tree. OCD relates to control , having control of some aspcet of your life.
    Yup only at xmas. It's that darned tree I tell ya. It's the tree. Now I wonder what would happen if I put the darned thing IN the bedroom? Ooooo Every time I rolled over I can see myself wanting to get out of bed to reorganize. No I think it's better to leave it in the living room.
    wombat
    Damn..I still have my Christmas tree up from last year. Truely. It's a potted fig tree covered in Hindu garlands, baubles, Santas, etc. It looks so good that I just never got around to taking it down
    I put one UP one year sometimes in July adn left it there until xmas. .Hmmm I should have known that was a sign of what was to come.
    seigswife
    I thought I was the only one with that problem! LOL

Ah yes another person with ornamentitis. Welcome to the club. Well not welcome just glad I'm not alone Phew.

Don't despair LadyLee, the symptoms can become less severe over time. Last year I think everything on our tree ended up at a different location by the time Christmas rolled around. This year, however, I've only switched 4 or 5 ornaments and some candy canes, fixed the garland and changed the setting on the blinking lights 3 times in the past week. I'm happy with the tree at this time, so I doubt that it will be tampered with much more.
    If only I could believe. Now that I live alone the compulsion is even stronger. I have no one to help me reign in my ornamentitis. I'm so bad that more than one I have taken everything off and then put them all back on. I tell ya I got one bad case of this. Those thoughts are floating around in m y head now. I can't I can't. Help me be strong

Maybe next year I won't change anything. I can always hope.
    Hope that's it! I hope! I can always rely on hope!
    jstalin
    Come to the light.... walk in to the light...
    Oh no someone else knows how this works. It's all in the lights!!!
  • kittyeatzjdubs
    kittyeatzjdubs

poor LL...i'll start taking up donations for your treatment. (((LL)))

luv, jojo

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Can you make the fund raising big enough for me to travel down south? - someplace where it is warm please.

• Why Georgia
    Why Georgia

Lady Lee,

You crack me up!

Our Christmas tree is quite sad...the other night the dog chased the cat into the christmas tree breaking the base and knocking the tree to the ground. (It's artificial by the way).

Then my darling husband decided to fix it. He made a wood stand to hold it up because I said...we'll just get a real tree next year! So now the tree is leaning off to one side like the leaning tower of piza....

And...

Since we have a 17 month old I felt that I didn't want any glass ornaments on the tree this year or any of my family heirloom ornaments because I can't replace them. So we put up the non-breakable ones. These turned out to be some ugly ones that my mother gave me - paper mache eggs with wierd christmas pictures on them.

So we have garland, we have lights, we have paper rings that my 5 year old and I made...and some wierd eggs. The eggs have an alternate use of being great bowling or soccer balls for the kids. One of the cats keeps pulling them off too at 2am and batting them around the wood floors.

So my tree is definately not perfect.....in fact I think it rivals Charlie Browns tree!

Chrystal

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I was watching TV the other day and saw someone had placed a fence around their tree. - looked like a little picket fence

You know you WILL have to take a picture of it to save for those years when you want to tell this story to your little one as he gets older.

• Effervescent
    Effervescent

I think others suffer from the same obsessive compulsive holiday disorder you do... In fact I just watched a program about it last night.

It was on HGTV, and they related "symptoms" such as spending over $200K on decorations, collecting over 2000 Santas (enough to fill an entire family room year round), filling yards and houses to every last square inch with lights and displays. Although the symptoms may be different than yours, I think the malady is the same. My advice? Roll with it! These people seemed very happy in their mania, but they embraced it!

Instead of redarranging the tree, maybe you should add other decorating around the house. You need a creative outlet.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee
    Instead of redarranging the tree, maybe you should add other decorating around the house. You need a creative outlet.

oh my that could be so dangerous. Good thing I don't have the money - or a credit card

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit