British And American Intercourse.

by Englishman 59 Replies latest jw friends

• cosmo
    cosmo

Expatbrit:

Either French, Spanish (most likely) or Portuguese.

• JanH
    JanH

cosmo,

Not to start anything but if it wasn't for Americans, wouldn't you be speaking German right now?

Russian perhaps.

But if it weren't for the British, you'd be surely speaking German or French now! (or, possibly, Spanish)

But if it weren't for all those pretty French women in Normandie, you'd ALL be speaking Norwegian now

- Jan
    --
    "People are apprehensive when they meet me. They think I'm going to eat
    them. But underneath it all, I'm quite shy." - Freddie Mercury

• Bgurltryal
    Bgurltryal

my boyfriend and i have british and american intercourse.
    There bboyneko. Happy?:)

• Bgurltryal
    Bgurltryal

ok...I'm English but i came to America at the age of 16 to go to highschool (dad is USian). One of the first things i did in class was go up to a teacher and ask for a rubber. He looked so put out. I then quickly corrected myself but his face was pricless:)

• Mulan
    Mulan

Fanny?

In America, your rear end.
    In England, just the opposite.

Too funny, when traveling in Britain. I really shocked some young teens with that word, in 1996.

Imagine "fanny pack"? In America, it's a purse, you fasten around the waist.

Marilyn (a.k.a. Mulan)

• slipnslidemaster
    slipnslidemaster

I think that we would be speaking French right now if not English. The French had much wider control of America until they lost most of it to the British. The Spanish just had a relative foothold in the southwest.

Slipnslidemaster: "I don't know why we are here, but I'm pretty sure that it is not in order to enjoy ourselves."
    - Ludwig Wittgenstein

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

Personally I think we should all speak whatever language it was that has "Kirap!" as the translation of "Awake!". Those guys obviously have a bright future.

And Mulan, I remember being shocked a fanny when I first emigrated. "A pat on the fanny". Aaarrrgghhhh!!!!

Expatbrit

• qwerty
    qwerty

Brits = Ketchup
    Yanks = Catsup (might have spelt it wrong)

LOL Catsup!

qwerty

• JW83
    JW83

I like how Yanks say "We're rootin' for you", which can raise eyebrows in Oz! [;I]

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

I know that South African English for a traffic light is 'robot'! LOL!

And trainers are 'tackies'.

But, best of all, a valance is a 'night frill' ROFLMAO!!

CPiolo; the story about BBC English being an artificial accent is false. BBC English is just what is variously called 'Queen's English' or 'RP', for 'Received Pronounciation'.

It is the accent of the upper classes and public schools.

If you listen to BBC World Service today you will find that the BBC now accepts presenters with all sorts of regional accents, although you do still have the occasional plummy-vowled RP speaker.

I used to come accross these often while teaching English in South America where the students were taught British English with a BBC accent, which, from what I understand, is an artificial accent developed for broadcast and doesn’t reflect a particular class.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit