British And American Intercourse.

by Englishman 59 Replies latest jw friends

• Stealth
    Stealth

In America we: Park in the DRIVEway
    and Drive on the PARKway

Also in America "shagging" is a baseball term.

Shag: to chase after; and return a ball hit usually out of play.

• Amazing
    Amazing

Hi Englishman: My Mum in-law was from Swindon, and my own heritage is British. One day, when I worked in San Francisco, a Brit engineer in our group was standing outside with us as we enjoyed coffee. He asked where he could suck a fag. I was shocked at first, but someone explained he wanted to puff a smoke. I then explained to the Brit that in San Francisco, sucking a fag has other connotations than smoking a cigarette. - Amazing

• joelbear
    joelbear

have you ever watched those airings of the British parliament. if not, you should, man they are wild over there.

here here

cheerio

• bboyneko
    bboyneko

Has anyone made any obvious jokes about alternate meaning to the title of this posting yet?
    -Dan

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

Bboy,

Me and Mrs Thirdson enjoy a bit of the British and American...

It's interesting what phrases I had to adapt to and what to give up. However, at home I can revert to more Brit speak and humor. Mrs Thirdson knows what I mean about the frustration of running out of "bog-roll" when sat on the "bog". At work recently I requested a PC be installed for testing and development in the manufacturing area and I requested a "bog-standard" PC, nothing fancy. I had to explain my British term. (I have heard "box-standard" is the correct terminology but having grown up in Birmingham based engineering companies "bog-standard" is what I heard which I always thought related to the toilet bowl manufacturer's name on many British toilets being "Standard {Vitrified Products}" and hence as common and ordinary as toilet bowls.)

Another Brit favorite food derived from Italy is "Spag-bog"

Mrs Thirdson (like me) spent some time in Australia as a kid and her mom still uses ozzie terms. Them pesky biting insects are "mozzies", sunglasses are "sunnies" are some I can recall.

My son is thoroughly Anglo-American. Despite living in the US for nearly half his short life (he's 13) he still has a noticeably English accent except when in England when he has a noticeably American accent...but he sounds the same to me where ever he is!

Thirdson

'To avoid criticism, say nothing, do nothing, be nothing'

• Hojon
    Hojon
    The majority of those quotes were came from the mouth of Al Gore. I'm looking for the link I need right now.

Argh. This is what the internet has done, it's hard to "prove" much of where this stuff comes from and when it gets printed on several different web pages by several different people it makes it even more difficult. Most of them were originally said by Dan Quayle. They have since been attributed to both Al Gore and George Bush, but the fact is that they were originally said by Quayle.

There are several books that were printed with his quotes back when he was still the VP. I have one, and it has many of those quotes in it. The dates have changed- they were mostly said back in the late 80s - but the rest is the same.

• drloss
    drloss

"They have since been attributed to both Al Gore and George Bush, but the fact is that
    they were originally said by Quayle."

Whoever it was, they illustrate what yanks have done for the development of the english language!!!![8>]

• slipnslidemaster
    slipnslidemaster

Inserting gasoline on fire .......................here:

But we American's still rule the world!

Slipnslidemaster: "I don't know why we are here, but I'm pretty sure that it is not in order to enjoy ourselves."
    - Ludwig Wittgenstein

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

American : 'Quayle' - A large grey man with very few distinguishing features, though possessing the strange ability of giving the appearance of being dead while camouflaging himself as a brass door knocker.

England : 'Quail' - a small brown game bird best served after lengthy marination and eaten on the bone. A well known poison to British JW's who have been heard to exclaim on being served the dish, 'this bloody fing ain't bled'.

HS

• Englishman
    Englishman

"But we American's still rule the world!"

Yup, your media keeps telling you that. 'Course, the one in six of Americans who will actually set foot outside the States in their lifetime tend to return with different stories. All very 75-ish eh?

Englishman

..... fanaticism masquerading beneath a cloak of reasoned logic.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit