Anybody on a diet?

by MsMcDucket 26 Replies latest jw friends

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

I'm on a diet and so far I've been hanging in there. I have a minimal goal weight and a maximum goal weight. If you are on a diet, what do you do to keep yourself motivated to staying on the diet.

It's really hard to stick to a diet around this time of year! Cake, candy, drinks, nuts, and food abound!

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Yes. I am on a very strict see-food diet...if I see it...

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket
    Yes. I am on a very strict see-food diet...if I see it...

Sounds like you're one of those people with a great metabolism. I wish I could be like you!

• CountryGuy
    CountryGuy

I've been on the Weight Watchers flex points plan since September. I haven't had any trouble staying on plan until this past week. Within the last seven days, we had my company Christmas party, my department's Christmas potluck, and the "12 Goody Days of Christmas" where everyone brings in snacks at work.

Things that I am doing to try to keep from giving in to the temptations are:

-Keep a snack that I can have on hand: carrots, celery, cauliflower, pickles

-Make a goody, but make it more healthy so you can have some without wrecking your diet: I make red velvet cake with Diet Cherry Vanilla Dr. Pepper instead of milk and eggs.

-Put it off until later: I tell myself that I'll come back in an hour and if the goody is still there, then I'll get one.

-Portion size: Even if the cake or pie is already cut, cut yourself a smaller piece.

-If you do have a bad day, don't give up, get back on plan as quick as possible.

Good Luck, MsMcD!

CountryGuy

• fairchild
    fairchild

Indeed, this might be the worst time of year to be on a diet.

Although I have never been on a diet myself (I'm real skinny), I used to work in a health food store and one of my tasks was to help people with their diets and offer advice.

Whatever you do, do NOT go on a low carb diet, unless you are willing to stick to it for ever and ever.

Sometimes it is not about what we eat, but it is about how much we eat and when we eat it. Eat small meals several times a day rather than one or two big meals a day. Find some low calorie items you like. If possible, don't eat out. Nearly all restaurants use way too much butter and other fattening stuff. Have enough exercise. The more you move around, the more calories you burn. When you see a piece of pie, endulge, but only eat half of what you would usually eat. That way you still get to eat the pie, but you will only get half of the calories. If you take your coffee with sugar, only put half the amount of sugar in it. It will taste different for a few days but you would be amazed at how quickly you get used to the taste. After a while you won't even be able to drink coffee anymore with the amount of sugar you used to put in there. Avoid pasta, it is an incredible source of calories. You don't need chips, they have lots of calories and cholesterol. Eat carrot sticks instead, or a low calorie cookie. Don't tell yourself that there are things you will never be able to eat again because they have too many calories, telling yourself this will only produce a craving for such things. The stricter you make your diet, the more chance you have that it will fail. Don't deny yourself everything all at once, leave some room for cheating, it is not a sin.

Just always remember that you need to burn the calories you take in. When you eat late at night and then go to bed, your body will store the calories as fat cells, no matter how strict your diet was duting the day.

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

I was one of those MsMcDucket, lo these many years ago. Now I am one of those with not-so-great-metabolism, but I make up for it in girth. (<-- this picture doesn't show my shaggy beard that hides my backup chin)

AuldSoul

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

Fairchild what was the favorite item that everyone bought at the store for their diet? Was it vitamins, metabolism boosters, protein shakes... what?

• fairchild
    fairchild

I hate to say it, but most people bought low carb products. After hearing some horror stories about people going off their low carb diets with disastrous results, I always wanted people to convince to kick the low carb diet. But that was not my job. Everyone needs to do what they feel is best for them and it is not up to me to convince them otherwise.

Yes, we sold quite some shakes and protein bars as well. The problem with the shakes and with the protein bars is that you will be hungry again after an hour and you will eat something, ending up with just more calories. I think that the best way to diet is to eat everything in moderation, give your body plenty of opportunities to burn the calories (exercise, etc..) and try to avoid things that are really high in calories.

• Lilycurly
    Lilycurly
    I am currently on a `blood group` diet. Anyone know about it? It`s supposedly good to get to your ideal weight, AND excellent for your health, because many illnesses are related to our blood type. Like, I`m A+, I should almost be a vegetarian, some fish here and there, lots of veggies, rice, etc. Some fruits are very benefic, like Pinapple and Grapefruit, but some are harmful, like banana, sadly.;P For every group it`s different, type O are the hunters, they must eat a lot of meat to function correctly. Atkins works for them.:P It`s all goindg pretty well, but got to admit I`m a cheater, especially this time of year...veggie-turkey isn`t something I want to eat at christmas.

• ballistic
    ballistic

Forget stupid fad diets. In fact, don't go on a diet. Change yourself. Change the way you view food. This way I lost 5 stone and have never put the weight back on.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit