I have a couple of questions about the bible..Please help! Elders got upset

by DavidChristopher 34 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Star Moore
    Star Moore

Hi..David, I started asking questions about 1 year or so ago. Nobody had anything but blank stares..so I found alot different from the bible, especially about prophesies... so I left in Aug. I don't believe the same except for the basics...(no trinity, hellfire, God's name , etc. ) Best wishes.

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul
    I am confused how I am doing anthing wrong? Should I wait for the next Watchtower? Please help me, is searching the scriptures wrong?

You aren't doing ANYTHING wrong.

(((DavidChristopher))) ,

The only problem you have is that you are finding out that you are under the thumb of a particularly controlling organization of men who claim to speak for God. Now that you are finding questions for yourself, you are beginning to know they do not. Of course they want you to wait until the next Watchtower, the Pharisees were also made uncomfortable and angry by questions that they could not answer.

Keep asking. Keep digging. The Bible promises it will be given to you.

AuldSoul

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

The Bible is the moral guide for our lives. Within its pages are many things that teach us WHAT WE OURSELVES must do. Personal choice and conscience are main factors in a Christians life. There are no hard fast rules (remember all things are lawful, but not all things are adventageous?). Those who tried to make hard fast rules becames the ones to kill Gods son. Every circumstance is differant and we are in no position to judge anybody. Instead we must encourage all to come to Christ, and assist them to personally make it their resolve to serve God. I suggest you read "In search of Christian Freedom" by Ramond Franz. It will be able to answer many of your questions.

• rebel8
    rebel8

Asking questions is very much in line with the WTS teachings, so the elders are wrong to be giving you a hard time for it. Perhaps share with them this article, from Awake! 2000 June 22, "Do Not Be a Victim of Propaganda!" . I believe it is also posted on www.watchtower.org right now.

We need to scrutinize whatever is presented to us, deciding what to accept and what to reject.

However, we do not want to be so narrow that we refuse to consider facts that can improve our thinking. How can we find the right balance? By adopting a standard with which to measure new information. Here a Christian has a source of great wisdom. He has the Bible as a sure guide for his thinking. On the one hand, his mind is open, that is, receptive to new information. He properly weighs such new information against the Bible standard and fits what is true into his pattern of thinking. On the other hand, his mind sees the danger of information that is entirely inconsistent with his Bible-based values.

Discernment enables you to discard irrelevant or misleading information

Use discernment: Discernment is "acuteness of judgment." It is "the power or faculty of the mind by which it distinguishes one thing from another." A person with discernment perceives subtleties of ideas or things and has good judgment.

Using discernment, we will be able to recognize those who are merely using "smooth talk and complimentary speech" in order to "seduce the hearts of guileless ones." (Romans 16:18) Discernment enables you to discard irrelevant information or misleading facts and distinguish the substance of a matter. But how can you discern when something is misleading?

Test whatever you are reading or watching, to see if it is truthful

Put information to the test: "Beloved ones," said John, a first-century Christian teacher, "do not believe every inspired expression, but test the inspired expressions." (1 John 4:1) Some people today are like sponges; they soak up whatever they come across. It is all too easy to absorb whatever is around us.

• jstalin
    jstalin
    Why did I get into trouble asking questions about things I read in the bible?; Are we not bible students?

David,

Asking questions worries them because much of the Watchtower doctrine is not Bible-based. When you ask questions, you start demanding critical thinking, and critical thinking is discouraged at every level by the Watchtower.

You should be careful about asking questions - make sure you want to deal with the consequences of using your brain. There is a lot of freedom to be had by utilizing your God-given ability to reason, but those who despise critical thinking in favor of conformity for the sake of maintaining an organization, will reject you.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

If bad associations spoil useful habits, Why did Jesus do it?

Welcome to the board - because it was the Apostle Paul who wrote it and not the Gospel writers

• Jourles
    Jourles
    If bad associations spoil useful habits, Why did Jesus do it?

Friends, I believe we just found the next Year's Text.

• mouthy
    mouthy

This means everlasting life their taking in knowledge of You, the only true God."

Havent read all the post so if someone said this I am sorry It reads THIS MEANS EVERLASTING LIFE THEIR KNOWING YOU>Jesus Christ. A Big differance in taking in knowledge about some one & KNOWING them

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

Welcome DavidChristopher.

Asking questions is not wrong. I am a teacher, and I can honestly say that asking ANY question is NOT WRONG. Refusing to answer it, or being unable to answer it is wrong. However, if someone is unable to answer the question it is WAY easier to transfer the blame onto the person who has asked the question, rather than admit that they cant answer the question.

The answer is to find some place that can answer the question.

I think you have come to the right place.

Best of luck in your search for truth.

• A Paduan
    A Paduan
    Why did I get into trouble asking questions about things I read in the bible?

And this is the judgment.........every one who does evil hates the light, and does not come to the light, lest his deeds should be exposed.

I am afraid I am going to be barred, and my friends and family are not going to speak to me anymore.

Perhaps, but it isn't your fault, you are who you are - nor should your fear go any further than that - it isn't the Lord who will shun you for being truthful.

paduan

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit