The turning point of the apostate movement?

by undercover 26 Replies latest jw friends

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

"So much for my satire." ..... Hey, I thought you must have been kidding.

• undercover
    undercover

It was sort of a joke...satire, whatever you want to call it.

I got all excited about the "big news" and was somewhat dissappointed. I've tried to see the impact that it can cause, and I hope it does, but at the same time, when I think about it realistically, I know that in the long run, it will probably fizzle out. But if it can work, I'm all for for it.

So, I tried to be take a light hearted approach with it and have some fun. I guess it didn't work too well. Now I'll have to endure minimus' ridicule.

• FreeWilly
    FreeWilly

I just think people don't like getting their "chain jerked".

This was billed as news "bigger than Dateline, BBC, CBC, etc" which stirred no little anticipation. By that measure you'd expect to be important enough to make the evening news. A published legal essay, IMHO, will not rise to that level at all. Let's face it, the aforementioned programs devote air-time, money and research to items they feel will be significant to the general public. Will this rise to that level? We shall see, but I suspect it will not get near the attention the child abuse scandal did. I doubt we will be seeing this featured on any primetime news program. Nor do I suspect, will the average JW be impacted by this essay.

It is an interesting development.

It could lead to greater developments in the future.

But "Big News" it is not.

I do appreciate the efforts involved none-the-less.

-FW

• Satanus
    Satanus

I appreciate the satire. Seriously though, i don't see a split happening. All that will happen, imo, is that the activist types have something to run w. Those of us who are nonactivist will continue to sit in our comfy chairs smoking what we smoke, drinking what we drink, saying what we say, and cheering when we feel like it.

S

• Maryjane
    Maryjane

it is just as I tell my wife... There is no Evil Slave Class, plotting evil things against the WTS . It is not like Star Trek vs the Klingons, because there is no unified resistance . This board is the closest I have found to us having something in common - and look how differnt we all are..

We are just a whole load of disparate individuals, most of whom have been hurt to some degree or another by the WTS .and want to help others that are in the same boat - that's all.

Well put Blues Brother! I'm dealing with a Jehovah-bot on another board and I counter her constant bible-thumping from time to time with valid information about the WTBTS (mostly for the other people on the board who aren't JW's). Once I addressed her specifically and she arrogantly proclaimed "Just for the record, I NEVER read any of your posts, I just scroll past them...your efforts are in vain!" As if I'm the Evil Emperor Ming trying to foil her! They are WAY too caught up in the good vs. evil thing. .

• Carmel
    Carmel

Try cutting melted butter in two!

carmel

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

Undercover..I thought this was quite a clever question actually, satire or no.

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

I think you have to allow for a growing realist faction that would very much like to see big things happen but after years of dashed hopes in the society doesnt want to pin all their dreams on one breaking point either. I firmly believe there is no magic bullet and this is going to be a long war in the trenches.

• avishai
    avishai

Mysterious, thsi si'nt a personal attack on you, I admire the hell outta you

It always HAS been a long war in the trenches!!! Legal action usually takes YEARS!! Even with the Child molestation scandal, most of the cases started 4 years ago are still ongoing. Anything worthwhile takes time, but in the grand scheme of things, it's very little. There has NEVER and likely never will be a magic bullet.

Change takes fortitude, abiding will, and effort, not just sitting around waiting for stuff to happen, in almost ANYTHING!!!

The "realist" faction has always understood this. It's the armchair quarterback faction that does'nt. You know, the kind of person that switches favorite teams every six mo. when their team does'nt "appear to be winning". But when their team DOES come back, they say "SEE? I was wtith them all along."

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard
    We're much more like guerillas - much more effective than an army.

me

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit