D.U.M.B.O.

by feelinsketchy 27 Replies latest jw friends

• feelinsketchy
    feelinsketchy

For those outside NYC that stands for Down Under the Manhattan Bridge Overpass.

It's an up and coming area in which the Society pulled building permits for 4 twenty story residence buildings with a connecting atrium and underground parking. The permits were pulled last year about this time (much to the annoyance of the locals) and when inquiries were made of local Bethelites the word on the street became "the governing body hasn't decided whether or not to go through with the project." (we don't have the money)

With the Society directing that all checks for hurricane relief be directed to the worldwide work and the Awake being printed monthly, all of the sudden there is the first of 4 twenty story towers going up. All with no mention of the project to the R&F. While the bros in Africa are meeting in grass huts, the elite are building townhouses for themselves with million dollar views of lower Manhattan. Interestingly another building in the area is advertising 1 bedroom condos for 650,000

Vow of poverty indeed.

• Big Dog
    Big Dog

First, welcome to the forum, second great info, got more?

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

very interesting indeed

• JAVA
    JAVA

Welcome to the JWD -- and thank you for the information. Very interesting!

• garybuss
    garybuss

With the printing all in Wallkill and the education facility in Patterson, what the heck are they doing in Brooklyn?

• feelinsketchy
    feelinsketchy

I confess to lurking for quite awhile. Sorry. But my ardor finally arose and I had to write. Living in the area served by Bethelites, it is most annoying to see how these with special privileges of service look down on the average Joe. With the one bedroom apartments, air conditioned and heated that is. Cook, housekeeper, massage therapist, private mechanic, full health benefits, discount gasoline, discount dry cleaning, discount groceries, indoor tennis, basketball and swimming pools. Sorry for the run on sentence. With all of this they better have their WT underlined on Sunday.

I remember the time having served at "The Trough" as we call it locally, when it was three guys in a room with a porcelain sink.

Remember if you want the same lifestyle for your family, you are a materialistic S.O.B. (is that allowed here?)

• Big Dog
    Big Dog

Yeah Sketch you can say S.O.B., sometimes we get away with even worse. Sort of Orwellian, all pigs are equal, but some pigs are more equal than others.

• serendipity
    serendipity

hi feelinsketchy,

Welcome to the forum!

• feelinsketchy
    feelinsketchy

Garybuss,

Who knows? It was speculated that they were deserting the city after 9/11. Especially after the sale of Furman St. My guess is that they are building the new residences so that no one has to go outside anymore, as they will all be connected by tunnel/ elevated walkway to 25 Columbia Heights and to the remaining Sands Bldg. Then perhaps they will sell off the other residences.

• juni
    juni

Welcome Sketchy!

Very interesting information. Now if a family wanted to put an addition on their house because they needed the room, in some cong., they would be viewed as materialistic.

This info sends shivers up my spine. I truly feel that they are doing this in the D.U.M.B.O area for future selling for a profit. BIG BUCKS.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit