BeepBeep Needs to Know About 1975!!!

by SWALKER 43 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Beep,beep,

You may have heard that many were disillusioned when the end did not come close on the heels of 1975, because these had sold their property in expectation of coming events. I include the following for your thoughtful consideration and reply. Please feel free to PM me if you like, I would like to know your thoughts on these 4 points. This KM is on the 2003 WT Library CD-ROM, if you would like to peruse the entire article in answering.

*** km 5/74 pp. 3-6 How Are You Using Your Life? ***

IS IT not apparent that most of mankind are living their lives for themselves? They are using their lives as they see fit, without concern for others. But what about us? The apostle Paul wrote to fellow servants of Jehovah, saying: “None of us, in fact, lives with regard to himself only, and no one dies with regard to himself only; for both if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. Therefore both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah.”—Rom. 14:7, 8.

This is something for all of us to give serious thought to: It would be entirely inappropriate for us, while professing to be Jehovah’s people, to try to live our lives with regard to ourselves only. As the apostle Paul wrote: “You do not belong to yourselves, for you were bought with a price. By all means, glorify God.”—1 Cor. 6:19, 20.

Are we not thankful that Jehovah God has purchased us and that we now belong to Him? He has bought us with the life of his own dear Son so that eternal death does not have to be our lot, but we have before us the opportunity to enjoy everlasting life. (John 3:16, 36) How are you affected by this loving provision of God? Does it not cause you to want to show Jehovah your deep appreciation? The apostle Peter noted that if we have the proper mental disposition we will be moved to “live the remainder of [our] time in the flesh, no more for the desires of men, but for God’s will.”—1 Pet. 4:2.

Is that what you are doing? Are you living no longer simply to satisfy personal ambitions or desires, but to do God’s will? Are there ways in which you could share more fully in doing the will of God?

God’s Will for Us

Jehovah makes clear in his Word that his will for us today includes accomplishing a great work of Kingdom-preaching before the end of this system comes. (Matt. 24:14) Jesus Christ did a similar work. He said: “Also to other cities I must declare the good news of the kingdom of God, because for this I was sent forth.”—Luke 4:43.

Jesus did not hold back, but was whole-souled in his service to God. When we read the historical accounts of his ministry in the Gospels, how impressed we are with his energy and zeal in doing the Kingdom-preaching! Jesus knew that he had only a short time, and he did not spare himself in finishing his assignment. Should we not today be imitating his example, especially since we have such a short time left now in which to complete the Kingdom-preaching?

Yes, the end of this system is so very near! Is that not reason to increase our activity? In this regard we can learn something from a runner who puts on a final burst of speed near the finish of a race. Look at Jesus, who apparently stepped up his activity during his final days on earth. In fact, over 27 percent of the material in the Gospels is devoted to just the last week of Jesus’ earthly ministry!—Matt. 21:1–27:50; Mark 11:1–15:37; Luke 19:29–23:46; John 11:55–19:30.

By carefully and prayerfully examining our own circumstances, we also may find that we can spend more time and energy in preaching during this final period before the present system ends. Many of our brothers and sisters are doing just that. This is evident from the rapidly increasing number of pioneers.

Yes, since the summer of 1973 there have been new peaks in pioneers every month. Now there are 20,394 regular and special pioneers in the United States, an all-time peak. That is 5,190 more than there were in February 1973! A 34-percent increase! Does that not warm our hearts? Reports are heard of brothers selling their homes and property and planning to finish out the rest of their days in this old system in the pioneer service. Certainly this is a fine way to spend the short time remaining before the wicked world’s end.—1 John 2:17.

1 — Were Jehovah's Witnesses encouraged to sell their homes? Some say no. This was in the 1974 Kingdom Ministry, in May of 1974. What do you say the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society encouraged 31 years ago?

Circumstances such as poor health or responsibilities in connection with your family may limit what you can do in the field ministry. And yet, the pioneer ranks include many who have health limitations, as well as some persons with families. But these brothers and sisters are able to regulate their lives so that they can care for their responsibilities and still put in the 1,200 hours a year, an average of 100 hours a month in the field ministry, required of pioneers.

Therefore, do not be too quick to dismiss the possibility that you, too, may be able to pioneer. Give it careful and prayerful consideration. Perhaps an analysis will reveal that your life is encumbered with needless weights that can be put off so that you can pioneer. Particularly may this be the case if you are single, or are married but have no children.—Heb. 12:1.

2 — (a) Was a house and property a "needless weight" that "encumbered" some so that they were prevented from pioneering? (b) In article context, what is being encouraged here?

So, then, ask yourself: How am I using my life? Can I make adjustments that will enable me to pioneer? If I can, will failure to do so indicate to Jehovah that I am living to satisfy personal desires, rather than to do His will? Every one of us wants to be able to say, as did the apostle Paul, “Indeed, the life that I now live in flesh I live by the faith that is toward the Son of God, who loved me and handed himself over for me. I do not shove aside the undeserved kindness of God.” Gal. 2:20, 21.

3 — In article context, were Witnesses being asked to consider that Jehovah might view them as "living to satisfy personal desires, rather than to do his will" if they did not sell their home to pioneer? If not, what is being indicated by this article?

Real blessings await those who can adjust their affairs to pioneer. First, there is a certain added contentment in sharing full time in the preaching work that God purposes all his servants now to do. Pioneering enlarges your opportunity to “save” yet scattered prospective members of the “great crowd.” (1 Tim. 4:16; Rev. 7:9, 14) Also, there may open up to you the privilege of being sent as a special pioneer into territory that is not often worked. And for those pioneering, there is the possibility of the opportunity of training at Gilead School and then going on to foreign missionary service.

So do not delay in giving serious consideration to this matter of how you are using your life. See if you can arrange your affairs to pioneer. Why not discuss the matter with persons already pioneering or with elders in your congregation?

As you probably are aware, to qualify as a regular pioneer you should have been baptized for at least six months, and have participated in the field service each month for the past six months. Also, it is vital that you have a reputation for fine Christian conduct.

Encourage Others to Full-Time Service

Perhaps, though, you are not able to engage in the full-time service as a pioneer or at Bethel, because of having a family to support or due to old age and poor health. Why not, then, urge others, especially the younger ones, to seize hold of such special privileges? Help others to analyze their goals in life. Ask them what they are going to do when they graduate from school? Reason with them to see that the dying old world has nothing to offer. Help them to show Jehovah that they truly appreciate his undeserved kindness by volunteering to serve where his organization needs them the most, especially ‘in the days of their young manhood.’ Help those who now qualify for Bethel service to say, in effect, “Here I am! Send me,” by filling out and sending in their application. Eccl. 12:1; Isa. 6:8.

4 — Apparently, as history has shown, such ones will proceed to become 53 years old in this system. In article context, do you suppose that is what they were encouraged to think about when they graduated?

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• Beep,Beep
    Beep,Beep

""In other words they were LYING!!""

That REALLY addresses the questions ! Your answer is as persusive as "New Light".

What's the expression "Actions SPEAK louder than words" ? If the actions of Jehovah's Witnesses demonstrated a marked difference from what I'm being told was taught and believed, what do I look at ?

• AuldSoul
  • SWALKER
    SWALKER

BB--I'm not sure exactly what you are expecting to get from this thread other than the information that has already been posted. 1975 was not a taught doctrine. It was implied in talks at the KH, from CO's, and at assemblies. We were encouraged to give up material things, education, etc. and focus all of our attention on the preaching work. Many sold their homes and went to serve where the need was great. The PO in the hall I was in sold everything, moved to Mexico with his 3 children and when things didn't end in 1975, came back broke and disillusioned. His children left the org never to return...one ended up in prison. Several Bible studies that I had at the time quit...never to return. That's all we can really say...you just had to have been there and lived through it to understand how much emphasis was put on it all ending then. I was encouraged by everyone in the hall and the CO to quit school and start pioneering. I did for a while, then decided to go back!

Swalker

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Oh, wait! I may have been misunderstanding your wording. Are you saying they were behaving differently than would have been motivated by what you have been told they were saying, e.g. "Why would they sell homes and property to pioneer if there isn't any clear expectation of the end soon? Why would they be encouraged to do that? Why would such a stupid decision, 'warm our hearts?'"

If so, then you got it already. No need to answer the questions.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• Beep,Beep
    Beep,Beep

AuldSoul,

Respectfully how does that address the questions below ? These are the actions that I am talking about.

1. If it were truly taught that 1975 was going to be the end, why announce district conventions for 1976 at the 1975 ones ?

2. Knowing that a lot of long term work and planning is involved in making arrangements for district conventions, including making arrangements for the use of stadiums and coliseums, etc., why make them if you truly taught and believe the end was going to occur before you could use them ?

3. While I'm not sure of the exact number of magazines printed then, but if 1975 was being taught as the end why produce what would have to have been an overabundance considering the number of Witnesses then ? Why produce magazines for October, November, and December of 1975 since the governments were going to be gone and there would be no way to deliver them ?

4. If it was really being taught that the end was coming in 1975, why were so many congregations building new Kingdom Halls ? I check on this locally and within a 200 mile radius six congregations were planning, starting, or just finishing new halls.

5. Why start the next class of Gilead school since they wouldn't be needed if it was being taught that the end was coming in 1975. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe these groups graduate in the spring and the fall of the year, so in reality even the group that would have graduated in the spring really wouldn't have been needed.

Again, I'm not trying to be difficult, not trying to stir up painful memories, but these activities would seem to go contrary to the belief that 1975 was going to be the end. I don't think "C.Y.A." is a very satisfying answer. What were people thinking when all this activity was going on ? Wasn't there expansion work going on at that time as well, either at Brooklyn or the Farms ?

• Beep,Beep
    Beep,Beep

""BB--I'm not sure exactly what you are expecting to get from this thread other than the information that has already been posted. ; 1975 was not a taught doctrine.&nbsp""

If it wasn't a taught doctrine then why do so many claim exactly that ? I have been told repeatedly that it WAS taught, now you are saying something different. It's no wonder confusion abounds around this.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Hi BeepBeep,

I guess it is pretty clear you weren't a witness in the early 70s.

When were you associated? Are you still associated - that is, are you an active loyal, Witness in good standing?

I wonder what you think regarding the predictions of 1925. Did they not exist either?

• SWALKER
    SWALKER

BB..you are misunderstanding what we are saying. It wasn't doctrine. That doesn't mean that is wasn't promoted as being the beginning of Armageddon and the end of this system. They claimed that 1975 concluded 6000 yrs of man's existance on earth...follow the logic here. Christ's reign is supposed to last a thousand years...6000 + 1000 = 7000...Which is how many years they claimed each creative day was. So the thousand year reign of Christ had to fit in the 7th creative day...as the 8th day would start and the world had to be back a paradise by then. When that didn't happen, they had "new light" in which they said it must be that the creative days were much longer than 7000 yrs each. Then accused the R&F of misunderstanding. (How would we have known had they not promoted it?) Get it?

In 1914 when the group went out and stood on the Brooklyn Bridge expecting God to rapture them up to heaven, they had not stopped the facilities at Bethel or anywhere else in the world. They apparently kept everything going just in case they could be wrong, in other words CYA. Get it?

One thing about the WTS they always have Plan B (and probably xy&z)

Swalker

P.S. I don't know how to make it any plainer.

• yesidid
    yesidid

BeepBeep,

You are obviously going to believe what you want to believe about 1975, and that’s fine.

I would, however be grateful if you would not insult my intelligence and very clear memory of what was being promoted by the society at that time.

I WAS THERE. My husband had a responsible position at the time and we KNOW what happened.

I think your ignorance results from not knowing how the organization works.

There are two main departments running the organization; the writing department and the service department.

You read much of what comes from the writing department; Watchtowers, Awakes, books and tracts.

However the service department is the most powerful and you certainly don't get to see most of what emanates from that office.

The service dept looks after the branches and information sent to the district overseers and circuit overseers, as well as convention and assembly programs. They also compile the secret elders manual. You seem not to realize that much of what is absorbed by the publishers is not printed in the literature but is filtered through the DO’s, CO’s and letters to the elders from the branch.

As to why the Society disingenuously made plans for it’s own future, while encouraging the rank and file to sell everything

'and pioneer “in these few remaining months”, I suggest you write and ask them.

Then please let me know, I have often wondered about that blatant hypocrisy myself.

yesidid

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit