BeepBeep Needs to Know About 1975!!!

by SWALKER 43 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• SWALKER
    SWALKER

I know that many of you have the information discussing the Watchtower's view on this and why so many thought it was going to be the beginning of Armageddon and the mass exodus from the org when nothing happened. I remember it very well and my mom telling me not to get my hopes up because she had been looking for the ancient worthies to appear for years at the assemblies and that never happened. Then they changed their prophesy on that too!!!

Swalker

P.S. BB-- We really don't mind discussing this but the other thread was not the place to do it. Don't be surprised though, if you have posters that are still upset by this topic as it ruined a lot of lives and dashed a lot of hopes.

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

I remember 1975 very well. Was he looking for a 'personal perspective' history or more of a 'what can we prove that they actually said' history?

Jean

• minimus
    minimus

Quotes.Watchtower.ca is the site Little Bo Beep can check out. Type in 1975 and he/she can read it all. If that does not explain what the big deal is about '75, I stand by my earlier assertion.

• SWALKER
    SWALKER

This is what BB posted earlier:

""Too many lies. Too many secrets. Too many policies and teachings that are directly contrary to the Bible. It just isn't possible that God is with them.""

Really ? Would you care to explain this comment ? What policies and teachings do you see as contrary to the Bible ? What secrets ? What lies ? I have been looking to prove such to myself but have yet to find convincing evidence

However, just as an example, everthing I have looked at concerning the supposed teaching that the end would come in 1975 is a bust. Not there. People take a couple of statements and try to make them more than what was said.

• minimus
    minimus

Hey Swalker, why not let BB make his/her own thread. Seems like you're more interested than BB.

• SWALKER
    SWALKER

Min...I just thought that they may not for some reason be able to start a thread. Just didn't want to come across as mean and uncaring about their concerns...I thought about LL's thread on being nice to newbies!!!

BB--if you are interested here is a quote from watchtower:

*** Watchtower 1968 August 15 p.499 Why Are You Looking Forward to 1975? ***

30 Are we to assume from this study that the battle of Armageddon will be all over by the autumn of 1975, and the long-looked-for thousand-year reign of Christ will begin by then? Possibly, but we wait to see how closely the seventh thousand-year period of man's existence coincides with the sabbathlike thousand-year reign of Christ. If these two periods run parallel with each other as to the calendar year, it will not be by mere chance or accident but will be according to Jehovah's loving and timely purposes. Our chronology, however, which is reasonably accurate (but admittedly not infallible), at the best only points to the autumn of 1975 as the end of 6,000 years of man's existence on earth. It does not necessarily mean that 1975 marks the end of the first 6,000 years of Jehovah's seventh creative "day." Why not? Because after his creation Adam lived some time during the "sixth day," which unknown amount of time would need to be subtracted from Adam's 930 years, to determine when the sixth seven-thousand-year period or "day" ended, and how long Adam lived into the "seventh day." And yet the end of that sixth creative "day" could end within the same Gregorian calendar year of Adam's creation. It may involve only a difference of weeks or months, not years.

[Emphasis Added]

• robhic
    robhic

You left off this gem from one paragraph above what you posted:

29 After much of the mathematics and genealogies, really, of what benefit is this information to us today? Is it not all dead history, as uninteresting and profitless as walking through a cemetery copying old dates off tombstones? After all, why should we be any more interested in the date of Adam's creation than in the birth of King Tut? Well, for one thing, if 4,026 is added to 1,968 (allowing for the lack of a zero year between C.E. and B.C.E.) one gets a total of 5,993 years, come this autumn, since Adam's creation. That means, in the fall of the year 1975, a little over seven years from now (and not in 1997 as would be the case if Ussher's figures were correct), it will be 6,000 years since the creation of Adam, the father of all mankind!

What unbridled arrogance!

• Apostanator
    Apostanator

How about the ole Train Wreck Cartoon in the Awake. A picture is worth a thousand words brother!!

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

Read Crisis of Conscience. That told me all I needed to know.

• Beep,Beep
    Beep,Beep

Thanks for starting this. I tried to get here last night but evrytime I went to log on to JWD I got the dreaded "Website not responding"

I will come back later this evening to read and make my comments

Again thanks

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit