I'm an atheist, so why does some religious music move me so much?

by nicolaou 42 Replies latest jw friends

• LearningToFly
    LearningToFly

I have questioned this within myself as well, but now I just enjoy. Music touches the soul in many ways, depending on the style.

Although not religious at the time, while in Vancouver, I took my daughter to see the Vancouver Symphony's Easter concert at the Orpheum, it was incredibly beautiful! I saw it as a beautiful Art and Cultural experience for her to enjoy as well as myself.

I adore Ave Maria, I too always feel incredibly emotional when I listen to it.. shivers run through me. Another beautiful fave is The Prayer done by Andrea Bocelli and Celion Dion...

Hope its ok to share a link to these songs:

Ave Maria http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uYrmYXsujI (gosh how can anyone not feel the beauty of this)

The Prayer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=db1-IlnW2YY

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

AH, George Harrison, bless him.

He was enlightened.

As far as I have taken the trouble to inform myself, his religious beliefs were, to me, complete and utter bollocks.

But he got there. Here Comes the Sun is another example. The wonder, the joy, the benigness. Similar feelings to my Sweet Lord but approachable without any requirement of belief in anything other than sunny days are a goodness after the cold of winter, and isn't everything like that?

Music with lyrics can carry an emotional and intellectual impact from the lyrics.

So can the music alone.

Ask anyone with a degree in Music how to make people feel a certain way with music they'll tell you. They can tell me why a certain bit of Jackie's Strength make me want to cry from the music alone.

The desired destination of any reasonable atheist or theist is the same; a good life in peace with one's neighbours in a world where kindness and hope prevail. Is it any surprise the same emotions in music, whether lyrical or musical impact us the same way?

• nicolaou
    nicolaou
    The desired destination of any reasonable atheist or theist is the same; a good life in peace with one's neighbours in a world where kindness and hope prevail. Is it any surprise the same emotions in music, whether lyrical or musical impact us the same way?

Amen brother.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit