I'm an atheist, so why does some religious music move me so much?

by nicolaou 42 Replies latest jw friends

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

Nic, I cry at "Ave Maria", too. It's a beautiful song.

Part of me wished I was Catholic so someone could sing it at my wedding!
    Another one is "Amazing Grace" when played on bagpipes, which I love. I have always been touched by these songs regardless of my past/present beliefs in the supernatural.

• Undecided
    Undecided

It's always been the melody that moves me, I very seldom listen to the words of a song. I guess that's why I listened to mostly instrumental music through my young years as a JW and can't remember the lyrics to any song.

Recently though, I have been hearing the words to some songs, especially country.

Ken P.

• mouthy
    mouthy

Why is this? Why, even though I am convinced of the non-existence of god and anything spiritual do I still get moved by some religious music?

My answer is the HOLY SPIRIT is moving in YOU!!!!

• gumby
    gumby

Music moves people period. Music can move you with no lyrics involved....like the oldie"sleepwalker".

Music is used as a mood setter in various ways. Grocery stores have shopping music. They use it a christmas to enhance shopping (spending).

To say christian music that moves someone is being moved by something different than other music moves people is a bit strong.

Southern baptist in Georgia get moved when they sing....have you ever seen them? They act like their on LSD and many get so riled they pass out. I wouldn't say it was any spirit........just emotion caused by music and your emotions that are sensitive to certain lyric/words.

I cry just by picking out a hallmark card for someone I love......but it ain't no spirit moving me.

I would think if god were looking to move a person toward him.......he'd use another avenue than music. In the bible music was never a tool god used to move others.

Only the calf worshipping bastards with Aaron while Moses was up gettin the golden plates stone tablets got all flustered by their own music and started actin like apostate drunken heathens.

Gumby

• oldflame
    oldflame

Gumby,

Ol friend, are you saying that music does not move the spirit ? I respectfully disagree with your thought there pal and as singers ourselves we know better than that.........

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Art inspired by faith and religion can be some of the most powerful as it is based on some of the most powerful emotions.

I'm also an atheist and I too enjoy religious art.

• gumby
    gumby
    Gumby,

Ol friend, are you saying that music does not move the spirit

No, I'm sayin the "Holy Spirit" doesn't work through music to reach people in my opinion. Music definately moves mans spirit however. Gods Spirit never used the avenue of music that I'm aware of to bring ones to him......otherwise the bible could have just been a hymn book

Gumby

• mouthy
    mouthy

No, I'm sayin the "Holy Spirit" doesn't work through music to reach people in my opinion. Darling Gumby I am SO glad you added in YOUR opinion.... Dont want you to feel you are the voice of authority ( cant spell it)

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

I've hesitated to answer my own topic but I suppose I should. When I listen to uplifting religious music, be it gospel or some soaring choral piece sung by sweet and innocent children I am moved. But I know it isn't by god (why do I feel the need to say sorry to Ross, Mouthy, oldflame and the rest?)

I don't lose my rationality but I do escape from it for a while and that is truly wonderful. I'm not a machine, not a calculator. As much as I love living my life by reason and evidence I 'feel' so much more human when someone else 'takes me away'.

Individuals like Carl Sagan, Stephen Hawking, Richard Dawkins - not to mention Kylie and Adriana Lima - can do it for me on one level but I have to admit that the human voice lifted up in devotion by true believers (something I can never be) works at a level far deeper.

Damn. I thought I was shallow.

• mouthy
    mouthy

(why do I feel the need to say sorry to Ross, Mouthy, oldflame and the rest?)

I believe if you love someone your dont have to apoligise THey KNOW you have the right to your opinion. That is what INdividual thinking does for us> Isnt it great((((HUG)))

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit