I'm an atheist, so why does some religious music move me so much?

by nicolaou 42 Replies latest jw friends

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep
    Be Not Afraid

I forgot all about that till now. Nice one!

And Eric Clapton is just great.

• Carmel
    Carmel

The art of music is divine and effective. It is the food of the soul and spirit. Through the power and charm of music the spirit of man is uplifted. It has wonderful sway and effect in the hearts of children, for their hearts are pure, and melodies have great influence in them. The latent talents with which the hearts of these children are endowed will find expression through the medium of music. Therefore, you must exert yourselves to make them proficient; teach them to sing with excellence and effect. It is incumbent upon each child to know something of music, for without knowledge of this art the melodies of instrument and voice cannot be rightly enjoyed. Likewise, it is necessary that the schools teach it in order that the souls and hearts of the pupils may become vivified and exhilarated and their lives be brightened with enjoyment.

(Abdu'l-Baha, The Promulgation of Universal Peace, p. 52)

• Apostate Kate
    Apostate Kate

This thread brings back the memory of the first time I heard contemporary praise and worship music after leaving the org. I can't tell you how astounded I was to hear the beautiful heart felt praise songs to God. It was nothing like the Kingdom Melodies.I heard it on the radio on K-Wave. (www.calvarychapel.com ) When I heard several thousand people all singing the songs in person it was even more amazing. It was thousands of hearts being lifted up to love their Father in pure sweet genuine adoration. I never knew in all my life that this existed before that day. I have not stopped singing them since! I'm going to look for this beautiful song/visual and post it here. It is one of my favorites.

• Apostate Kate
    Apostate Kate

Darn the song was removed due to a copyright problem. It was "Mary Did You Know" with a beautiful visual art pages. This is what they put in it's place... cute but not the same

The First Christmas Gift

• ICBehindtheCurtain
    ICBehindtheCurtain

I agree religious music moves me also, even when I was a staunch JW anytime I heard "Amazing Grace" I would get goose bumps I love singing it also, I also love "My Sweet Lord" that's a beautiful song, I always sang to it anyway, and "Morning has Broken" by Cat Stevens when I hear that or sing it I am totally moved and inspired, yup Music is truly a wondrous thing!

IC

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Oh sweet heaven! I just found this and it blew me away.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=aQVz6vuNq7s

Sometimes, just for a moment . . . . . .

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

I'll have to listen from home. Who's singing it, Nic?

(I have Ave Maria on my iPod)

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Be Not Afraid
    I used to like that song - but it's a top one for funerals now so I hate it

• RAF
    RAF

Gumby : I cry just by picking out a hallmark card for someone I love......but it ain't no spirit moving me.

It is the "spirit of love" !!! That's when I join Mouthy = "Holy spirit" (and you know it's love - you just know it - what is more holy than true love?)

• RAF
    RAF

what is more holy than true love?

Well maybe I would say pure love instead of true love (anybody can love bad things like being mean)

That's why to me (spiritually talking) this

"Therefore I say unto you, Every sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men; but the blasphemy against the Spirit shall not be forgiven".

Means when we are persistante in spiting on pure love in being mean ... it's unforgivable. (I say persistante, because we change along the time and we have to experience ours and others bad sides, in the hope we/they won't love it and will regret).

Now that's what I do considere being (God's wisdom = Christ = the spirit of the wisdom about everything) - experience is the mean to explore our feelings and make choices.

When we know we are mean or acting mean (even for good reasons) - we are spiting on the "hollyiest" spirit.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit