Sister "I just have to comment all the time" had my thought...

by wanderlustguy 20 Replies latest jw friends

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo
    One meeting I counted that he did it 20 times - that's how I got through meetings towards the end

Twenty times? Lol - maybe he noticed you watching, and was doing it for your visual pleasure - lol

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

Unless it was *my* brother. He made off-the-wall comments, irrelevant to the discussion at hand, all the time. My mother would cringe when he raised his hand to answer and they would bring the microphone. Luckily, we had a really nice congregation, and they overlooked his precociousness. But never did he say "That's just what I was thinking." It's nice when you are so young and innocent and you can just say what's on your mind. Unfortunately, he grew up in the JWs and his creative mind was stifled. His later comments amounted to no more than a rote narrative of what the brother just before him said. Sigh..

CG

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

Now why would you want to go beyond the literature, you don't think you are superior to god's spirit directed organization...DO YOU? Hehe. There was this big put it into your own words movement that I remember but all that did was teach me to paraphrase exremely well and on the fly. Which I suppose is always a useful skill but I'd rather have learned free thinking. In university I still do better in text book classes than those that required reading primary source material and then drawing conclusions. In fact this thread just made me realize why that probably is.

• Dune
    Dune

Its funny what you said about "old light"

It reminds me of the part in 1984 when Wilson recounts how just last week the country was fighting against Eurasia and now they were fighting Europa. But the party had them believe that "We were always fighting Europa!".

1984 was so appealing to me in high school because i kind of felt that i was Wilson.

• serendipity
    serendipity

Undercover: Thanks for the laugh!

I guess I've only noticed the rote answers in the last 2 or 3 years. Years ago, I remember that the elders in our cong. would counsel us to put the answers in our own words and offer additional thoughts using the quoted scriptures. This came often enough that my sister-in-law agonized that she couldn't really offer anything unique beyond what was stated in the paragraph. It was something else to feel guilty and inadequate about.

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

Not all that many ways you can paraphrase, now is there?

Sherry

• TopHat
    TopHat

I have an Idea, why don't we have a mock watchtower study this sunday? Just for fun

• Aude_Sapere
    Aude_Sapere
    I have an Idea, why don't we have a mock watchtower study this sunday? Just for fun

I'll participate only if AlmostAtheist (Dave) writes the study article -Aude.

• Honesty
    Honesty

Does this mean that I might get my "carry the wireless stick' privileges back?

• nilfun
    nilfun
    I remember at one WT study there was a sister who thought that she didn't get called on enough, so she brought one of those rubber finger things that you wear at a football game and put that on to get the conductors attention.

Lol! Can't... stop... laughing...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit