Sister "I just have to comment all the time" had my thought...

by wanderlustguy 20 Replies latest jw friends

• wanderlustguy
    wanderlustguy

I was thinking about how one of the cult tactics come into play in such a simple action, like commenting at the meetings. Don't know if it was the same everywhere, but at our hall, sometimes the WT study conductor would call on a couple of people in sequence, the first would give thier comment, then brother "I get to carry the microphone" would run over to the other, just for them to say "he, she had my thought".

Just that statement "they had my thought" says so much now. We never "had a thought", but we were given them. I know it wasn't just me, we were supposed to give "the answer" to the questions, rarely was anything said that wasn't in the WT right then, you couldn't really bring up anything outside it unless it ties in perfectly to the answer you were given to the question already.

Crazy how we were trained in so many small ways to be just like everyone else, say the right thing, turn a blind eye to any "Old Light" that contradicted the current issue of the WT. Wonder how many people said "whoa, hold on, we've been chugging along for 20 years now being told the end was going to be before the 21st century...now you;'re changing it?" only to have that training kick in right afterwards and the fear or questioning the org follow. How dare you question the direction of Jah?

Amazing how well you can see once you take the blinders off.

WLG

• schne_belly
    schne_belly

Amazing how well you can see once you take the blinders off

Well Said Wander.....well said

• undercover
    undercover
    I was thinking about how one of the cult tactics come into play in such a simple action, like commenting at the meetings. Don't know if it was the same everywhere, but at our hall, sometimes the WT study conductor would call on a couple of people in sequence, the first would give thier comment, then brother "I get to carry the microphone" would run over to the other, just for them to say "he, she had my thought".

Many, many moons ago, I knew a guy who was studying and had just started coming to the meetings. He was intrigued by the WT Study. Read the paragraph, the conductor asks a question, someone reads the answer out of the paragraph just read and the next person says, "same thought". The "same thought" answer cracked him up. No one ever challenged what was read or said. Everything was, "same thought" whether you said it in those words or not.

So, one day he wanted to comment. He waited until deep in the study. The paragraph is read. The conductor reads the question. Our new Bible Student raisies his hand. The conductor is excited. A newly interested on is making great progress. Everyone is excited when his name is called on. The microphone guy almosts trips over the wire trying to get to him before he chickens out.

Our new friend grabs the microphone and speaks clearly and strongly: "Same thought."

• limbogirl
    limbogirl

undercover: hilarious!!! did he end up jw?

• undercover
    undercover
    did he end up jw?

Unfortunately, yes...he got love-bombed into it. He got over it several years later though and now he's out.

• Why Georgia
    Why Georgia

At the hall we went to it would depend on which elder was leading the meeting...If it was Elder Underwear Too Tight...it had to be straight out of the literature.

If it was Elder Pompadour - He woud sigh loudly into the microphone and say " Does anyone have any comment not directly from the literature?"

There would actually be long periods of silence afterwards at times....

Chrystal aka Why Georgia

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo
    Our new friend grabs the microphone and speaks clearly and strongly: "Same thought."

That is SO funny - did the rest of the Congregation just nod in agreement?

Elder Underwear Too Tight

Why Georgia - please enlighten me how you knew this ....

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

Whenever someone commented outside of WT thinking, I used to think to myself, "ooh, now you know better than to say something like that". How pathetic...lol!

• confused_101
    confused_101

I remember at one WT study there was a sister who thought that she didn't get called on enough, so she brought one of those rubber finger things that you wear at a football game and put that on to get the conductors attention. It worked and she got called on and then just read the answer out of the magazine. I guess the way to brain wash someone is to just keep repeating the same old crap over and over again.

• Why Georgia
    Why Georgia

Midwich - Undewear too tight is the only thing that could explain why his little beady eyes were bulging out under his glasses...Plus, he was always adjusting his butt crack or his twigs and berries...whether he was on stage or not.

One meeting I counted that he did it 20 times - that's how I got through meetings towards the end.

Chrystal aka Why Georgia

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit