so what comes next........

by fleaman uk 34 Replies latest jw friends

• Jez
    Jez

I feel like I have gone from one extreme to the other, and I don't really like it. I just don't trust religion now, if there is a God, then it doesn't matter what I believe. He is either there or he isn't. I just can't make myself believe anymore. That is what I think I would have to do, make a decision, "I am going to believe again." I can't make that leap of faith anymore.

I am just waiting....for something....just don't know what yet.

Jez

• fleaman uk
    fleaman uk

It was such a relief to be able to do that without the paranoia and defensiveness of the mindset you pick up in a high-control group.

Ingenuous

I completely agree.When i was floundering in the Jw religion,i expressed my concerns to my Dad about the way Witnesses are SO certain they are the truth with ,lets face it,little or no evidence to back it up!I had never examined other Religions (apart from the "mankinds search for god "book)having been brought up a Jw from the Age of 4.

He exhibited both defensiveness and real paranoia.

Its a relief to be out i cant begin to tell you!I can now do my own Religious research in peace.

Now just need a direction.............

• defd
    defd

Now just need a direction.............

You had direction my brother. You refused it when you left!

D.

• fleaman uk
    fleaman uk

defd

I know you mean well.Before i learnt to think for myself i would have said much the same thing.

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

Pay no attention to Defd...he just hasn't been able to figure out what to do with his Saturday and Sunday mornings yet that doesn't involve and suit and coffee break. Makes him a little bitter.

What to do? Well...I tell you, I felt very odd and lost when I left. I had already rejected a lot of other religions based on what I believed as a witness, so I thought about those some more, and read. I personally came to reject the bible as some sort of God written rule book. Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to offend anyone, just relating my experience.

If you are up to it, start your search, but my advice would be to don't rely soley on the bible to base belief systems. Use rational thinking as well. I don't know where you will end up, but I think you may be able to avoid many mistakes if you try to be rational. Reason is very important, I think.

By the way, you don't necessarily need a religion for a belief system or philosophy.

Good luck...you will find your way.

• under74
    under74

there you go again D....rude.

flea- you'll be alright. Study up on things before diving in.

• fleaman uk
    fleaman uk

By the way, you don't necessarily need a religion for a belief system or philosophy.

Good luck...you will find your way.

Absolutely Eyebrow...thanks.As someone my Age maybe you have experienced the same things?

Just living a good and productive life is a good enough Religion!But try telling the average JW that.

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974
    I feel like I have gone from one extreme to the other, and I don't really like it. I just don't trust religion now, if there is a God, then it doesn't matter what I believe. He is either there or he isn't. I just can't make myself believe anymore. That is what I think I would have to do, make a decision, "I am going to believe again." I can't make that leap of faith anymore.

I am just waiting....for something....just don't know what yet.

Wow...this sums it up completely in that I am firmly against any kind of organised religion and trust absolutely no one religiously; I have read quite a lot in the time I have been out and certainly in this last 10 months and theres no religion that appeals and I see holes in every belief system there is; Its as though I have a guilt, fear and performance monitor attached inside my brain and everytime I come into contact with a particular religious group I see the subtle attempts at manipulation, the attempts at placing guilt trips upon people, the attempts at using fear to control people and more than this I see the spiritual abuse religion plays its part in these days like never before.

For me there can be no leap of faith....it would be a leap of stupidity for me personally to be ever involved in another religious group and to blindly accept all or any of which they spoonfeed.

Perhaps this is the hardest part...thinking for yourself spiritually either again or for the first time ever...the first discovery I made is that spirituality is not about performance or about works per se but is found within yourself.

Another discovery I have made is in relation to how JWs make anecdotal reference to 'faith without works being dead', but this isnt correctly applied in my view, the works are not determined from how many people you convert or how many magazines you place it has to be linked to how you live your life personally and the attempts to more right than wrong. These are just a couple of things discovered throughout this last few months but like most...I am still searching...still learning...still enjoying my new found spiritual freedom.

DB74

• defd
    defd

suit and coffee break

Might I say I look pretty darn good in a suit!

D.

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

Just living a good and productive life is a good enough Religion!But try telling the average JW that.

I think that is very important.

I was watching My Big Fat Greek Wedding again the other day, and I notice something that Maria, the mother said to the main character, Tula:

"I gave you life to LIVE." and then something about go live your life, yadda, yadda, yadd...

That, to me is part of my philosophy. We, in my opinion, are here to LIVE life NOW. Not worry about the future..surely not a hedonistic life, but a life that can bring joy to ourselves, without oppressing others.

I think the greatest "sin" is to waste the life that we have now. I believe in life before death.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit