What are JW's leaders going to do when we hit the year 2014 and no Armaggdn

by booker-t 42 Replies latest jw friends

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

They won't do anything unless donations are adversely affected. If the donations slow down they'll invent a new lie.

W

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

I was there for the 1979 DC when they made a BIG deal of the Watchtower mag's 100 year anniversary it set the theme for the convention this was also the same assembly program with the Korah/Dathan gang drama and the introduction of the new scapegoat codeword APOSTATE

I had never heard of apostate before this DC and been in since 1957 and at first thought it had someting to do with superfine apostles

This was all a red herring distraction for post 1975 failure fallout and to diffuse what i was holding on to:"how long did it take Adam to name the Animals?

"how long did it take Adam to name the Animals"? is there anybody on this board who remembers this addendum to 1975?

• Golf
    Golf

Let's see, if Adam lived 930 years, Hmmmmmmm, by the way, how many animlas were roaming the earth then? I hazard a guess.

Golf

• TD
    TD

I remember the centennial edition of The Watchtower well. (July 1979) For the JW's 120 years of preaching were up in 1999. There is no way they could take a 120 year period of preaching and start counting it at 1914 because that's not when they started preaching. They've engaged in so much historical revisioninism, (e.g. Claiming that the things they preach now were preached well before 1914) that I don't see how they could make that one fly. ----Nobody is that stupid.

--No, wait. We're talking about JW's right? ---Nevermind.....

• knothead34
    knothead34

will someone please explain the 2014 thing. I don't understand. Thanks, a newbie

• TD
    TD
    will someone please explain the 2014 thing. I don't understand. Thanks, a newbie

JW's believe and teach that the "Last Days" and the "Sign of the Son of Man" commenced in 1914. The have spent a great deal of time since then preaching a message that the end is near. Things become more than a little awkward with the start of a new century of "Last Days" The idea that what Jesus' really meant was, "Last Centuries" is bound to sound a little far-fetched to even the most loyal JW.

• serendipity
    serendipity

Hi knothead (I feel bad typing that..)

Welcome to the forum!

• Honesty
    Honesty

What are JW's leaders going to do when we hit the year 2014 and no Armaggedon?

They'll come up with a better way to beat the sheep.

• JT
    JT

They will do exactly the same thing they've done all the other times their predictions failed. They are getting really good at this!

</I>

The words of Carl Sagan are so True

<blockquote>

Doctrines that make no predictions are less compelling than those which make correct predictions; they are in turn more successful than doctrines that make false predictions. But not always. One prominent American religion confidently predicted that the world would end in 1914. Well, 1914 has come and gone, and -- while the events of that year were certainly of some importance -- the world does not, at least so far as I can see, seem to have ended.

There are at least three responses that an organized religion can make in the face of such a failed and fundamental prophecy. They could have said, "Oh, did we say '1914'? So sorry, we meant '2014'. A slight error in calculation. Hope you weren't inconvenienced in any way." But they did not. They could have said, "Well, the world *would* have ended, except we prayed very hard and interceded with God and He spared the Earth." Instead, they did something much more ingenious. They announced that the world *had* in fact ended in 1914, and if the rest of us hadn't noticed, that was our lookout.

It is astonishing in the face of such transparent evasions that this religion has any adherents at all. But religions are tough. Either they make no contentions which are subject to disproof or they quickly redesign doctrine after disproof. The fact that religions can be so shamelessly dishonest, so contemptuous of the intelligence of their adherents, and still flourish does not speak very well for the tough-mindedness of the believers. But it does indicate, if a demonstration were needed, that near the core of the religious experience is something remarkably resistant to rational inquiry.

— quote from "Broca's Brain" by Carl Sagan, p. 332, twelfth edition

• JT
    JT

i think that they will not see a tremedous drop, but i do believe they will see a shift-

jw will still beleive it is the truth, much like a good catholic who smokes, has sex, takes birth control bleives in gay prest and yet will tell you The Pope is Gods point man here on earth

more families will just miss meetings for vacation, more jw will just work longer hours and miss meeting

more token field service time, the ZEAL or Buring sense of Urgency will be sucked out of the remaing jw

college will become a norm, and all the foot stomping , and brow beating from CO and DO will go unheard

they will just vewi bethel as "Whatever"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit