Card of Encouragement From Long-time JW Reeks of Despair

by Seeker4 38 Replies latest jw friends

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

I happened to see a card a few minutes ago from a JW I grew up with to another JW that we grew up with. All of us are in our 50s now, and we've known each other since we were early teens.

The sister who wrote the card has pioneered for decades. She's married, but decided to never have kids.

The card was supposed to be encouragement for a sister that has had a lot of depressing and difficult things happen to her over the last year or two, but the card itself was just filled with despair.

The sister wrote that her father, a long-time elder, is now 81 and not so well mentally. Her sister is dealing with liver disease, her mom old and frail. All are JWs.

"This old system sure has taken its toll on us" was a phrase used in and really the theme of the card. While she and I are the same age, she just wrote as though she's old, tired and resigned to "hang in there" and endure until the New System 'brings an end to pain and suffering and all our problems,' while I find myself, having shed the Witness mentality, so looking forward to the adventure of the last half (third? quarter?) of my life.

I find this one of the most unattractive aspects of the Witnesses, and I've heard it for decades, this sort of "hey, we're plodding through, barely holding on, but nonetheless hanging in there at the end of our rope until the new system comes any second now and takes care of all our problems." It's such a resigned, "oh my (sigh)", Eyeore attitude. Even when I was a Witness I just wanted to take people like that and shake them by the shoulders and scream, "Start living, for god's sake!" Or maybe it should have been "Stop living for God's sake!"

Did any of you ever encounter this attitude?

S4

• kittyeatzjdubs
    kittyeatzjdubs

my mother was/is like that. she was always gloom and doom and the end is nigh. i had a very bleak outlook on life also b/c i figured Hova was gonna strike me dead anyway. i've noticed that since i moved/was kicked out, i've had a much more positive outlook on life and i feel more....HAPPY.

luv, jojo

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

Yes...many times. The "happiest people in the world" sure don't seem happy. Just plodding along waiting for the big A....never living life or using thier talents. Armageddon is always just around the corner... All the things they gave up...education, children, careers...for what? Deep down they must know it's a sham..... What a colossal waste!

Jws seem much older than their years...carrying the weight of the world. My ex (still a dub) looks at least 10 years older than he is... That seems to be common from what I've seen. Since out, I feel much younger and more excited about life than I ever was as a JW.

Coffee

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Yep, I still hear that from my few remaining JW friends and acquaintances. It's sad, and I remember that half-life feeling -- always looking ahead to an ephemeral future instead of appreciating what I had RIGHT NOW. It's so much better now -- sunsets and sunrises are more beautiful every day, and I look forward to short-term goals instead of Everlasting Life On A Paradise Earth. What comes, will come.

Nina

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Yes, you've all hit what I'm getting at.

Great to hear from you, coffee_black. We should arrange another New England dinner sometime this winter - though the weather can be a problem. You're probably in Florida!

S4

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

Hi Seeker4,

It would be great to get the group together. I'm not in Florida...I'm back in New England to stay. Say hi to Lori for me!

Coffee

• ballistic
    ballistic

It's sad but it's true. They are a cult of people despairing.

• Soledad
    Soledad

Yes, this sounds like my mother and every other witness I have ever known. They don't live, they are like zombies. It's so frustrating to see them liket that.

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Hey, I bet we could get Minimus and Hebert, Apostonator and his lady, HoChiMin...

What a nice evening we had.

S4

• skyman
    skyman

since all my family are JW I here this all the time. It is like they are putting their heads into the sand and hiding. PITY, pity, Pityful

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit