Card of Encouragement From Long-time JW Reeks of Despair

by Seeker4 38 Replies latest jw friends

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

They have the perfect caveats, "No it's not delaying, can't say that in my heart for that would make me evil slave-like."

Cant say "Why everything is continuing the same as from creation till now" for that would mean I am headed to unfaithfulness.

Cant say "Where is this promised presence of his?" for you will be a doubter and apostate.

So, instead they must believe that any "delay" of the "Great Day of God the Almighty" is in thier perception.

Now they are finding that just maybe it aint coming after all and they are middleaged and have gone grey haired in the way of righteousness but haven't got a pot to pee in.

Thank you Jesus, er, Brooklyn

W.Once

• luna2
    luna2

The attitude that this life is a throw away still lingers with me. Other people set goals and work towards them vigorously desiring to attain those goals as soon as possible. I, on the other hand, tend to dither around, thinking about what I want to do, planning how to do it, making lists and possible time tables, but for all that, I'm very slow to impliment said plans...so nothing get done or it takes me years to do something that could have been done in months.

All of those years of thinking that anything accomplished in this world was pretty much a waste of time and energy (as it was all going to be for naught when Armegeddy hit) still infects my thought processes. I'm trying to learn how to be more aggressive, to root out the remaining JW fatalism, and live the life I have left with enthusiasm.

• Honesty
    Honesty

Empty hearts and addled minds are the identifying marks of true Jehovah's Witnesses the world over.

• jstalin
    jstalin

What a miserable existence...

• TD
    TD

Yes! I see it all the time. I see it in my wife's parents, who never thought they would grow old, but now are great-grandparents and in poor health.

I see it in the handful of believing relatives in my family who are still alive. I want very badly to be able to say or do something to ease their pain......but the only thing that will do that is the realization of their dream

• Nate Merit
    Nate Merit

Hi Seeker4

I agree thats very sad indeed. It would be wonderful if the JW's would all just abandon ship.

I meet the same defeated attitude in plenty of mainstream born-againers though. "One glad morning when this life is over I'll fly away, to a home on God's celestial shore, I'l fly away."

I'm glad you're looking forward to accomplishing new things in your fifties. Goodonyemate.
    Nate

• Confession
    Confession

I tend to be among the group who favors a less venomous manner when discussing the WTS. But what we're talking about in this thread is really frustrating, isn't it?

When an active or studying JW comes in here and asks something like, "Why all the anger, people? Why can't you just let us live the way we want to live?" I would so very much like for them to plug a USB cable into their cerebral cortex and let us upload a little reality for them.

It is not about people who just "can't live up to JW standards."

It is not about "wanting to live our lives, ignoring our creator."

It is not about "sour grapes over a personal experience."

Yes, there are no doubt some for whom the above three things tell the story. But the truly sad thing is the awareness that people have not merely been offered this "throwaway life," all aging, miserable and financially poor. But they have been seduced, indoctrinated, and forced to continue the charade--or face the loss of (potentially) their entire family and only group of friends they've ever known.

• LDH
    LDH

Seeker --great post

Was, I agree with you one hundred percent!!!!! The JW only option is to beleive THEY themselves are the failure.

Lisa

The Emperor Has No Clothes, Class

• limbogirl
    limbogirl

yup...being around JWs is an emotional drain for me because of this very attitude. they thrive on their misery and the more miserable the story, the better. because of course they will all wake up one day in paradise. i've gotten to the point that i've told my mother not to share any more information with me about people at her kh that i used to know -- it's just too depressing. told her the other day that i don't know people like that anymore -- the people i associate with are all positive and look forward to living each day. the other awful thing about this mentality is that most of the JWs haven't prepared for retirement because of course they weren't going to be on earth that long. this has been an issue for my parents and others that i know....they are still here and having a hard time getting by with no 401(k) plan! finally, can I just say that if paradise were really an option but it was filled with only JW's -- COUNT ME OUT! that truly would be hell!

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

ouch, luna2!!! this is so me (unfortunately) and I am still battling it:

The attitude that this life is a throw away still lingers with me. Other people set goals and work towards them vigorously desiring to attain those goals as soon as possible. I, on the other hand, tend to dither around, thinking about what I want to do, planning how to do it, making lists and possible time tables, but for all that, I'm very slow to impliment said plans...so nothing get done or it takes me years to do something that could have been done in months.

And I have noticed, although I may be mistaken, that even though my mother is a very enthusiastic, upbeat JW, it seems to contain and mask an element of despair, and her hope seems to be more a matter of enforced habit that something natural and genuine.

I think they know that they don't dare let any doubts or concerns creep into conscious thought or their whole WTS-based belief system will crumble, and that's a very traumatic thing. As many here know from personal experience.

~Merry

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit