What are the first things you notice when you enter a JW home?

by JH 42 Replies latest jw friends

• undercover
    undercover
    One thing I noticed about my dealings with and being a dub, was that other religeons seemed to be proud of their faith and would talk about going to church in a very open and matter of fact way, but a lot of the witnesses including my wife and family would make sure there was no 'theocratic' evidence to be found when a 'worldly' would come round - strange eh?

I confess...I was one of those. I always left my bookbag in the trunk of the car. If I ever put books or mags in the back seat, I turned them over, or covered them up. When people would bring up religion, I would try to change deflect any questions that came my way. I remember more than once coming up with some glib answer when asked if I was ready for Xmas instead of coming right out and declaring my faith and that I didn't celebrate it.

• whatistruth
    whatistruth

a jw calendar with the fake time written in it. An open cheque book ready to make their large monthly donation ( out of guilt ). The daily text on the kitchen table. And a 4 door car in the garage.

• delilah
    delilah
    you can always tell who they are "best buddies" with, as their homes are almost ALWAYS decorated identically...... (if you took a peek into their wardrobes, it would be almost the same as well) it's like they don't have a mind of their own......
  • fairchild
    fairchild
    If you visited one of the elders in my old hall, the first thing you'd notice is his well - stocked drinks cabinet, apart from during co visits, when we used to have field service meetings there. The drinks seemed to disappear then, for some reason, and be replaced by watchtower and awake bound volumes.

OMG, that musta been one heck of a job to move that stuff around all the time.

• Aude_Sapere
    Aude_Sapere

My mom did a needlepoint piece of work:

"But as for me and my household, we shall serve JEHOVAH" w/ the scripture reference. (and, yes, there was red lettering - although maybe only the word 'Jehovah' was in red.)

When I bought my condo, she made one just like it for me. I tucked it behind my bookcase. I delayed hanging other pictures for about 4 years so I could tell her that I hadn't hung up anything yet.

When I was about 11 or 12, there was a large posterboard picture of a paradise that I got the younger kids to give to our parents on their anniversary. I neatly wrote in bold lettering in the white border at the bottom: "Look...I am making all things new." Rev. x:x-x (I no longer remember the verse)

And there was plenty of booze up on the top shelf of a few kitchen cupboards.

-Aude.

• alamb
    alamb

I'm with Limbogirl. Willy Wonka book collection. And no other books to be found.

• CountryGuy
    CountryGuy
    My mom did a needlepoint piece of work:

"But as for me and my household, we shall serve JEHOVAH" w/ the scripture reference. (and, yes, there was red lettering - although maybe only the word 'Jehovah' was in red.)

OMG! We had the same thing at my house. LOL!!!

CountryGuy

• Aude_Sapere
    Aude_Sapere
    OMG! We had the same thing at my house. LOL!!!

CG - I just wanted to die whenever someone would visit or ring our door. It was placed so that you could plainly see when standing outside our front door.

-Aude.

• Purza
    Purza

Bound volumes in perfect order by date going back to the 60s. At least that is what was in my house growing up.

Purza

• carla
    carla

Well one thing for this thread, it made me get my butt outside and decorate for Christmas in a timely manner so people didn't think a bunch of heathens live here! (just kidding on the heathens thing, no need to write how intolerant I am)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit