What's Your Pet Peeve At The Meetings?

by Golf 59 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Golf
    Golf

OVERTIME, OVERTIME! The thing that was a kill-joy for me was going overtime, just ask my wife and kids. My entire day would be ruined.

I once had a 15 minute part in the service meeting and the elder in front of my 'stole' my time. I shortened my part to 5 minutes. I spoke to the elder later and he had to get the opinion of 'four' other elders to confirm my complaint. What ever happened to out of the mouth of two witnesses?

I could tell you other stories but I don't want to go overtime.

Golf

• vitty
    vitty

Yeah me too, I hated the meeting going over time.

when my kids were small, and not so small, they always used to ask how many paragraphs were there in the WT study. If there were 19 they would whoop it, if there were 21 they would moan and complain all the way there. I never told them it didnt make any difference cos they would just string the 19 para study out.........shame lol

• defd
    defd

seeing brothers taking the lead when they clearly are not capable or scripturally qualified.

D.

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

I hated people coming to the meeting sick or bringing their sick kids to the meetings...

lisa

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

I was in a congregation in heart of downtown Seattle. As you can probably imagine, it was one of the more progressive halls in the, geez, I dunno, state, at least. Our territory was very diverse, so most of the more reasonable people in the hall (read: the ones that still had some thinking faculties left) had come to grips with the idea that most of the people out there were basically decent, smart people. We also had an above-average ability for critical thinking, at least within the framework of JW doctrine.
    So the worst thing was when Brother Bumpkin from out in the sticks would come for a Sunday talk and reveal his absurdly narrow-minded view of the world. Since I was usually running sound, there were times I honestly wanted to just cut the power and save everyone a certain death from embarassment.
    SNG

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

I s'pose if it was actually interesting, you wouldn't nottice how long it went!

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

Overtime was killer, so were lengthy prayers. Nothing like trying to stand there and act interested, not fidgeting at all, while brother windbag goes on at quite some length. I remember a prayer at one convention that was so long that my best friend and I informally timed it through hand signals and the use of my digital watch. It was quite close to, if not in excess, of 5 minutes.

There was also people with crying children that they clearly had no control of but refused to "embarass" themselves by taking to the back. And the children that were literally smacked audibly for fidgeting by parents that looked so stern you thought their faces would break.

Plus it always bugged me when other youths LOOKED like they were spaced out. I mean come on. I never paid attention but I could mechanically look up scriptures while I was a million miles away in some elaborate fantasy world. At least if you want to live a double life live them believably.

In general I have a good memory and to have material I was very throroughly to study beforehand regurgitated over the course of several hours I found to be insulting and boring. Which is why I never "prepared" for any meeting that was not already part of the family study to begin with.

• dedpoet
    dedpoet

....I s'pose if it was actually interesting, you wouldn't nottice how long it went! Interesting meetings? I could count them on the fingers of one hand. My pet peeve was being there at all

• gdss
    gdss

Use of cliches during talk, comments "from the heart", prayers, etc.... Phrases like "This helps us to appreciate...", "This is timely information...", "We have a wonderful banquet of spirtual food prepared for us today.", "A thrilling account..", " An electrifying talk.." I'm sure there are more.

• gumby
    gumby

Only Governing body members can go overtime. Ever seen one at an assembly NOT go overtime?

They used to have to "drag" Fred Franz off the stage in his later years regardless how many times they whispered to him...."your overtime Fred".

Gumby

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit