What has "Unintelligent Design" been observed to make?

by hooberus 96 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• hooberus
    hooberus

Hooberus, if one states "complex designs require an intelligent designer" and then cannot show how the designer came about, you are making a self-refuting hypothesis.

I think that a lot of your problem is that you misunderstand the creationist/ID "design argument".
    The design argument is not that any type of complexity or intelligence in existence would also "require" a designer for its existence. Such an argument would even exclude the possibilty of an eternal intelligent being.

Rather instead the design argument is that the design (design as in mechanical complexity) found in certain objects (such as watches, photoreceptors, etc) that have an origin is best explained as being the result of an intelligent designer and/ or is evidence of intelligent design, requires a designer, etc.

There is no requirement that in order to assert that mechanically complex objects that have an origin (e.g. photoreceptor) would have required a designer, that a person must also "show how the designer came about" in order not to be "self-refuting". For example if a complex alien structure (such as a spacecraft, masonry building, etc.) were found, such a complex object would surely by many scientists be said to have required a designer, yet this would not be a "self-refuting hypothesis". This is true even if they were not able to also show "how the designer came about." Furthermore, there is no requirement in arguments for design for the designer to have even "come about" at all - perhaps he has always been.

If you add "... but the intelligent designer doesn't need a designer" you are, by definiton, using special pleading.

It would only be "special pleading" if creationists/ ID proponets taught that the designer has 1). a mechanical type of complexity and 2). an origin, and then also taught that he "required no designer".

Since neither creationists nor ID proponets teach this there is no "special pleading". (ID proponets don't usually specify the charcteristics of the designer, and creationists for centuries have generally taught that God has no origin and is not composed of mechanical parts.) see also my previous points on this issue on this thread here:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/12/102388/1768157/post.ashx#1768157

If you additonally claim "... because it has always been there", you additonally add a postulation that cannot be proved.

My "postulation" was simply that it is logically valid to make statements such as: "something without an origin needs no designer" and "something that has always been there doesn't require a designer"

• daystar
    daystar

sng

but you make it sound as if belief/non-belief in God is the dichotomy that separates creationists from evolutionists. This is simply not the case. There are a great deal of people who believe in God AND accept evolution.

Point taken. Did not mean to make it sound that way as I realize that. No such thing as a black & white world.

• daystar
    daystar

I was actually thinking around this subject this morning...

I have an interest in system theory. In systems in which any significant "life-span" have been observed, the systems tend towards complexity. The less complex they are at any given time, the longer they take to become relatively more complex. This has been observed in nature and has been simulated.

A relatively isolated system will continue along its relatively predictable course. After significant observation, in many cases, its path may be predicted with some amount of certainty. Variables, chaotic influences, in an isolated system, tend to be at a minimum when compared to multiple, interactive systems. I say minimum because I don't believe there to be any perfectly isolated systems. There does not appear to be any way, to me, for a perfectly isolated system to either be created or to arise in nature. I will admit a certain amount of uncertainty due to unknowns, as most reasonable persons would.

We live in a complex universe with many millions of interactive, complex systems within it. Not one of those systems are isolated entirely, thus they are interactive with each other to one extent or another and at some point in time or another. This interaction promotes change and development within the system. Sometimes the changes are beneficial to the system's progression. Sometimes, as with invasive species for example, the changes end in extinction or repression of the system.

With complex systems and how they appear to interact with each other and evolve over time, there is no need for there to have been an intelligent designer. They seem to order themselves for survival, evolve when necessary with changes in the environment or in interacting with other systems (the chaos factor), and eventually dissolve or break back down again, all based upon known and also, surely, as yet unknown factors.

That all being said, it seems to me that there will always be unknown factors. We, as complex systems ourselves, tend towards ordering ourselves and our environment. We seek to categorize, label, make the unknown into the known. These unknowns are chaos rather than order. When unknowns break the light of day, they bring change. Extreme change frightens some people. I'll admit that it scares me sometimes. On a very primal level, change brings with it the threat of death, of even extinction. But it also brings with it the hope of improvement.

Belief in a God gives a person answers to questions that often cannot be answered by scientific observation; Why are we here? What hope do we have? Where do we go from here? Belief in answers from God lends a person a sense of certainty about her existence. Without God, one must admit to uncertainty, ultimately. And to many people, uncertainty incites fear.

One should, I think, make sure that their belief in a thing does not arise from fear of the unknown. I don't think God would particularly care for that.

I'm sure others here have more knowledge of such subjects than myself. Feel free to elaborate, correct, debunk or debate as you see fit... or not, as I have provided no sources for any of this other than my own mind and observations.

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

SNG

Yup; and the MOST deceptive and offensive thing ID-ots and literal Creationist is to make out it IS a dichotomy. There is a terrible tendecy for them to present it as 'godless scientists vs. believers'.

But what it ACTUALLY is is a very very small group of Christians who impy ALL Christians who don't agree with them effectively have abandoned faith in god. It isn't about defending god from 'godless scientists' AT ALL, it is about the sanctification and lauding of their own opinions above all others, even their co-religionists, effectively on the basis of say-so.

This is surprising and insulting to Christians who believe in god but don't see the Bible as literal.

Oh, thanks BTW: although Qcmbr will probably get spittle all over his screen at us 'brown-nosing and back-slapping' each other, I have equal enjoyment and illumination from your posts - and you have FAR more patience than I have!!!

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

hooberus

I think that a lot of your problem is that you misunderstand the creationist/ID "design argument".

Who says you can't teach an old Creationist new tricks! Having been told for years (with clear evidence to support it) that Creationists don;t understand evlutionary theory, you're now going to have a go at doing the same.

You say;

The design argument is not that any type of complexity or intelligence in existence would also "require" a designer for its existence.

So, ID doesn't say any type of complex design requires a designer.

And then you say;

Rather instead the design argument is that the design (design as in mechanical complexity) found in certain objects (such as watches, photoreceptors, etc) that have an origin is best explained as being the result of an intelligent designer and/ or is evidence of intelligent design, requires a designer, etc.

So, you ARE claiming that complex designs require an intelligent designer! You just (as I have pointed out TWICE, at least) use what is called special pleading by inserting 'that have an origin'.

There is no requirement that in order to assert that mechanically complex objects that have an origin (e.g. photoreceptor) would have required a designer, that a person must also "show how the designer came about" in order not to be "self-refuting".

Until one DOES show "how the designer came about", it IS self-refuting. You might want the freedom to make wild claims free of responsibility for the logical extrapolation of those claims, but such a stance is patently ludicrous. You are conjuring the tooth fairy out of thin air based on teeth left under pillows by children magically turning into money! And then saying you don't have to prove how the tooth fairy came into being!

PLEASE, do carry on explaining the 'design argument'. Without your assistence it wouldn't look nearly so ridculous and contradictory

For example if a complex alien structure (such as a spacecraft, masonry building, etc.) were found, such a complex object would surely by many scientists be said to have required a designer, yet this would not be a "self-refuting hypothesis".

Because they would not be embedding in the claim that these artifacts required a designer a claim that the designer was eternal and had no origin, which is what ID-ots do.

And answer a straight question for once; are you now a proponent of Intelligent Design, as in a warmed-over version of OEC, having given up on the insanity of YEC? Or are you arguing to support a theory you don't believe in? As ID really requires acceptence of standard chronologies to avoid slipping down the slippery slope it has crawled up from the quagmire that is YEC, the two positons are not inclusive.

This is true even if they were not able to also show "how the designer came about." Furthermore, there is no requirement in arguments for design for the designer to have even "come about" at all - perhaps he has always been.

See? I'm right. Accept you are so blind to reason you can't see it. Let the reader use discernment, eh?

It would only be "special pleading" if creationists/ ID proponets taught that the designer has 1). a mechanical type of complexity

Oh a NEW ID-ot weasel word; mechanical; so non-mechanical complexity requires no designer? Please give me a full definiton of what you think you mean by mechanical complexity and why equally complex non-mechanical entities are exempt from the rule you apply to mechanical ones.

and 2). an origin, and then also taught that he "required no designer".

You seem to think by re-stating it the way you like to re-state it removes the hideous flaws in the argument. It doesn't. They are still there even with the re-statement.

Since neither creationists nor ID proponets teach this there is no "special pleading". (ID proponets don't usually specify the charcteristics of the designer, and creationists for centuries have generally taught that God has no origin and is not composed of mechanical parts.)

No, but god is supposedly complex (the use of 'mechanical' to muddy the water is largely tired and cynical, as even with it the ID argument doesn't fly) so what you see as an explanation for the illogicity of your stance isn't, as just re-stating your argument doesn't reduce the idoicy of it. And special pleading does STILL take place, as "God has no origin" is STILL special pleading.

My "postulation" was simply that it is logically valid to make statements such as: "something without an origin needs no designer" and "something that has always been there doesn't require a designer"

Neither of which can be proved, which is what I said. What's happening here hooberus? Even with all the points you bring out ID is still a hypothesis with severe problems with the logic and evidence for the claims it makes.

I see, as per bloody normal, you try and make ground where you think you can (although you didn't), and ignore the fact one of the biggest proponents of ID has admitted in court that ID is a hypothesis. Still no comment on that? To difficult to deal with?

Essentially the demands of Creationists and ID-ots to have their beliefs taught in class are as reasonable as those who want flat-Earthism, Astrology or the superiority of one race over another taught in schools. At the very best kids should know that people used to believe that the Earth was the centre of the Universe, and flat, but we know better now, just as people once believed the Earth was made in six days, or made out of bits of dismembered gods, but know better now, just as people once taught some races were superior to others, but we know better than that now, just as some people still believe burning balls of gas trillions of kilometers away influence whether they have a ood day or not, even though we know better now.

Oh, another question that the Creationist or ID-ot brigade have failed to answer is; if suplhur-breast-plated locusts are figurative (they must be as there is no evidence for them), how come the Creation account and the Flood account (which there is no evidence for) are regarded as literal?

• Golf
  • Golf
    Golf

I'm still waiting for that heap of garbage in my back yard to turn into something intelligent, like picking itself up and leave. The again, someone had to make that junk, so let intelligence take it to the dump.

Golf

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit