DFed, more positive or negative?

by Sheepish 29 Replies latest jw experiences

• Sheepish
    Sheepish

Just musing...

From the vantage point of being "out", it seems to me that being DFed would be really, really painful, but ultimately a good thing.(I was shunned by my family when I finally left though, so I know a little of what a Dfed person goes through, although I didn't put myself through going back to meetings and being shunned)

I was Publicly Reproved, and was not allowed to answer in meetings, but I was not shunned. This was in the "enlightened time" when they didn't announce what a person did, so I am sure everyone was very very curious. But it removed me enough from reciting answers verbatim from the literature, and then without the pressure of studying ahead of time, suddenly I had lots more time to think! I could look at things objectively.For this reason, I think that DFing is a great thing, and I hope they never stop it so more people can have a shot at leaving...

What do you think?

• TopHat
    TopHat

I think they should be honest and admit....shunning is a CULT type punishment.

• defd
    defd

Disfellowshipping is discipline not punishment.

D.

• willyloman
    willyloman
    Disfellowshipping is discipline not punishment.

Winner, this year's 'Unclear on the Concept' Award...

• theinfamousone
    theinfamousone

being diffed is cruel... it makes u feel like u need to be reinstated to keep friends and family... its really just a trick to get someone who finally did something right in their lives to go back to doing the shit...

the infamous one

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul
    w70 7/1 pp. 404-405 Personally Benefiting from the Bible’s Laws and Principles
    PURPOSE OF CONGREGATIONAL ACTION
    15 In the Christian congregation there are definite laws against adultery, incest, homosexuality, bestiality, murder, stealing and other things, any of which, when committed by a Christian, would bring reproach from the world against the congregation. These things the Bible has put under the authority of the congregation, that is, it is required to take some action. (1 Cor. 5:1-5, 13) This action is not the punishment that the law calls for, at least not by any means the full punishment for the deed. The congregation acts, not primarily to punish the person, but to clear itself of reproach, uncleanness and contamination by cutting off (expelling) such a one from membership in the congregation. It may, if he is repentant, take disciplinary measures and place certain restrictions on him. If he is disfellowshiped (expelled), it is not to discipline him, but to get him out of God’s clean organization. The action also serves as an example working for the disciplining of the congregation. This is how we are to understand 1 Timothy 1:20; 5:20, where we read: “Hymenaeus and Alexander belong to these, and I have handed them over to Satan that they may be taught by discipline not to blaspheme.” “Reprove before all onlookers persons who practice sin, that the rest also may have fear.”
    it-1 p. 787 Expelling
    EXPELLING
    The judicial excommunication, or disfellowshipping, of delinquents from membership and association in a community or organization. With religious societies it is a principle and a right inherent in them and is analogous to the powers of capital punishment, banishment, and exclusion from membership that are exercised by political and municipal bodies. In the congregation of God it is exercised to maintain the purity of the organization doctrinally and morally. The exercise of this power is necessary to the continued existence of the organization and particularly so the Christian congregation. The congregation must remain clean and maintain God’s favor in order to be used by him and to represent him. Otherwise, God would expel or cut off the entire congregation.—Re 2:5; 1Co 5:5, 6.
    it-2 p. 1052 Synagogue
    Both also served as courts. The synagogue was the place where minor cases involving Jews were heard and disposed of; and so also the apostle Paul argues that Christians should let the mature ones in the congregation judge matters involving Christians rather than go to worldly courts to settle such differences. (1Co 6:1-3) While the synagogue arrangement made provision for the administering of stripes, in the Christian congregation such punishment was limited to rebukes. Similar to the arrangement for Jews in the synagogue, in the Christian congregation the severest measure that could be taken against the one professing to be a Christian was that of expelling him, disfellowshipping or excommunicating him, from the Christian congregation.—1Co 5:1-8, 11-13; see CONGREGATION; EXPELLING.

defd, I know how it feels to keep finding rot under every rock you lift, finding articles that prove your viewpoint wrong. These articles are clear. The Pay Attention book is even more clear.

According to Jehovah's Witnesses, the practice of disfellowshipping is not primarily to discipline. It is not discipline at all. It is analogous to execution or banishment. It is punishment, in the most extreme form available to the Christian congregations.

AuldSoul

• defd
    defd

Auldsoul

You may want to pull up more recent articles. From my understanding it is discipline.

D.

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Can't get a more recent understanding than the one that is currently applied in the elder's manual. I am not aware of any updates to how DF is viewed by the elders.

All discipline is a form of punishment, but not all punishment is discipline. In this case, there is hope that the punished one returns but that is not the goal or objective of the punishment. Therefore, it is not discipline. As the 1970 article states, the objective is to clear an unrepentant wrongdoer out of God "clean" organization. That objective has not changed just because the WTS wants to soften its public image for the cameras.

While a 2003 Watchtower states:

w03 10/1 p. 22 Appreciating the Purpose of Discipline
    At times, it is necessary to disfellowship unrepentant wrongdoers from the congregation. (1 Timothy 1:18-20) Even such drastic action should be considered discipline, not merely punishment. From time to time, elders endeavor to visit disfellowshipped individuals who are not actively engaged in wrongdoing. During such visits, elders act in harmony with the real purpose of discipline by outlining the steps needed for a person to return to the Christian congregation.

I don't base all my definitions of their actions and policies on what is printed for public consumption. It is a very harsh form of punishment. Look up the word punishment in a dictionary and let me know whether you still disagree that disfellowshipping is punishment.

I know it is tough to look past what they say they teach and fairly examine what is really there. But you can do it.

AuldSoul

• cypher50
    cypher50
    You may want to pull up more recent articles. From my understanding it is discipline.

What, the Insight book isn't recent? And what have you provided that backs up your understanding?

• onesong
    onesong

Dfed--

Disfellowshipping is discipline not punishment?

I was df'd because I don't believe "da troof" anymore---how is disciplining me going to help me now?!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit