Elder's School Notes Part 1: Quit being so materialistic, you slackers!

by sir82 43 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

I can believe it since COs and Bethelites don't have to worry about their retirement as long as they stay in the work to the bitter end. The WTS will "take care of them."

I can think of several older JWs that say, "I'm glad my company had a retirement plan," and I know of sisters who went back to work after staying home and raising children to get the minimum time in to collect social security because they couldn't live on their husband's projected retirement.

• AlanB
    AlanB
    Egregious quotes: "Some say the end is a long way off. Some friends are saving money for retirement, as if they were going to (chortle) retire in this system of things. Can you imagine what that would do to someone's zeal for the ministry? It would kill it."

Egregious quotes: "Satan plays a role in the production of violent video games"

My parents, as with many of that witness generation became witnesses just prior to 1975. I understand that some of the witnesses I knew are facing a real problem as retirement looms and they have no pension plan.

I have a friend in the Video Games industry. I shall have to ask him if he has an employee called 'Satan' and exactly what role does he play. Does Satan clock on and sit at a workstation cubicle? I can picture the scene.

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Excellent round-up Sir82.

This was interesting...

Fully 25% of the publishers in the US are in Spanish congregations. (Spanish congregations have great success in the ministry-Imagine what the % increase/decrease of publihers is for the English speakers, given that growth is flat in the US!)

It is perceived by some, that the Spanish witnesses do not earn as much as their English counterparts, have less education (particularly if raised in the truth) and are more oriented to religion in general.

I shall be getting a copy of the December KM soon, I shall post the annual service report for the United States shortly thereafter.

I look forward with anticipation to the next "chunk."

Truthseeker

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

In my friend congregation, the elder body is divided on the issue of college education - really divided against it, which of course filters down to families, creating a knock-on effect.

Education could be the catalyst for a major exodus, if not then definitely a major "loss of zeal" problem.

• minimus
    minimus

If the CO gets wind of division on the body due to the college thing, those not 100% supportive of the "Slave's" direction will be sent bye-bye.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5
    Egregious quotes: "Some say the end is a long way off. Some friends are saving money for retirement, as if they were going to (chortle) retire in this system of things. Can you imagine what that would do to someone's zeal for the ministry? It would kill it."

That's funny, my mother was just talking about my dad retiring next year (he's 64).

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly
    I have a friend in the Video Games industry. I shall have to ask him if he has an employee called 'Satan' and exactly what role does he play. Does Satan clock on and sit at a workstation cubicle? I can picture the scene.

You'll find him in the marketing department, since at another school they were told that Satan is an experienced salesman

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

I loved your nicknames! Laughed and laughed!

I also love the idea of Brother OnTheCompanyPayroll telling everyone how silly it is to save for retirement. Of course he'll be taken care of his whole life and he'll die quietly in the infirmary doted over by some cute pioneer. Meanwhile brother PayingHisOwnWay will die of exposure while collecting popcans on the side of the road to try to pay for his medications.

What a heartless, mindless, soulless thing to try to take away. At least let the poor fools enjoy the same level of retirement that the Bethel Bro's will enjoy.

Dave

• undercover
    undercover
    "Some say the end is a long way off. Some friends are saving money for retirement, as if they were going to (chortle) retire in this system of things. Can you imagine what that would do to someone's zeal for the ministry? It would kill it."

How long have they been saying this BS?

I remember when my parents were in their late 20s and Armaggedon was just around the corner. They didn't need a retirement fund and I didn't need a college education.

Both my parents turned 65 years old this year. I guess they should have saved for retirement after all. Can you imagine how much better their twilight years would be if they had planned for them?

• Golf
    Golf

As a former Elder, I'm surprise the word 'balance' wasn't highlighted, hmmmmmm.

When you've known the end was coming since 1948 and it's 2005, what am I to think?

Thanks for sharing the info. "The more things change, the more they remain the same."

Golf

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit