Elder's School Notes Part 1: Quit being so materialistic, you slackers!

by sir82 43 Replies latest jw friends

• magoo
    magoo
    Fully 25% of the publishers in the US are in Spanish congregations. (Spanish congregations have great success in the ministry-Imagine what the % increase/decrease of publihers is for the English speakers, given that growth is flat in the US!)

.........can you say: La Atalaya & Despertad?

magoo

• Satanus
    Satanus

They sure do have short term thinking. Their antimaterilasm rant shows how stupid the management is. Don't they know that everyhing runs on money??!! By keeping their people poor and in recruitment work instead of allowing them to make long term plans, it seems to me that they will have greater problems down the road. I certainly hope so

S

• willyloman
    willyloman

Hmmm. Sounds like the identical program they presented at the last elder school I attended. And the one before that. And the one before....

Look forward to the rest of your report. Keep up the good work!

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

"It is perceived by some, that the Spanish witnesses do not earn as much as their English counterparts, have less education (particularly if raised in the truth) and are more oriented to religion in general."

I can see this as true, however, the Spanish-speaking JW's are generally very hard workers and will stop at nothing to take advantage of the relatively good economy here in the States to provide for their family as best they can. Just take a glance at the Spanish meeting parking lot... materialism is a big issue in the Spanish congregations, perhaps even more so than in English. There are less pursuing higher education, but more working longer hours.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

And thank you SIR for posting your personal notes. Tell me, was it agonizing or was it agonizing to sit there and hear this drivel for 12 hours?

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

daniel-p,

I agree with your assessment of the U.S. Hispanic population. But, whether it is spiritual activity or secular activity that prevents them from developing Web sites/forums/etc. it is the inability to quickly transmit and receive information about what is really going on JW-land that keeps them growing.

Of course, the Spanish speaking peoples are flocking to Evangelical religions at a MUCH greater rate than to JWs. JWs are just getting some of what the Catholic Church is losing.

AuldSoul

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

my folks got booted out of their hall to accomadate the elders school.

i think they enjoyed having the day off lol (the next hall over is 35 miles away and they're too elderly to drive that far)

• GoingGoingGone
    GoingGoingGone

Loved the review... thanks so much for posting this!! The elders here go to the school this coming weekend... I love knowing the info before they do.... LOL!!!

Looking forward to the rest of the drivel....!

GGG

• sinis
    sinis

You also need to remember that ALOT of the Spanish Brothers used to be CATHOLIC and therefore were required to tith. This, I'm sure, spills over into the Society. Though they are NOT required to tith, I'm sure many have been conditioned so well that they still dump tons of $$$ into the coffers of the WTS. So in the long run the Society will make out like bandits until the minorities become assimilated and educated.

• SWALKER
    SWALKER

Thanks for posting the info...

Regarding the Spanish congregations around here...most of them meet in the English Halls that were already built. I have a few relatives that attend them and they tell me that the donations are very slim. It's hard for them to come up with the money for the literature, much less help with paying the bills. I know lots of Spanish that work around here and most of them have families elsewhere (Mexico) that they send the bulk of their money to, leaving them little to donate.

Swalker

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit