Fire in Portland!!

by Gretchen956 21 Replies latest social family

• Odrade
    Odrade

Oh NO!!! So sorry to hear that. Tell Tim I'm thinking of him... and give him my phone number if he needs anything. (Better yet, tell my and I'll get in touch with him...) I'd offer him a place to stay, but I'm way the heck out on the West end of town. If that's not a problem and he needs somewhere to be for a few nights, give me a call.

• avishai
    avishai

Hey, this is a good man peeps. Let's see what we can do to help. Housefires suck, lets prove the dubs wrong about apostates being uncaring a-holes.

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

Thanks for the kind words. Tim has no computer right now, no phone. I don't know if he'll be able to get to a friend's computer to get random emails or not. The one place I do know he can be reached is at work, its 310 Hair Design. 503-227-4338 He will not be there today though.

Most of the damage to his possessions is from smoke damage, he lost everything in the basement but there wasn't as much there. He thinks he'll just wear the stuff smelling of smoke and that eventually it'll come out. I'm not sure if he realizes how bad that can be. At this point he really doesn't even know what he's going to do.

I told him to call the Red Cross for a place to stay, I hope he does that.

We're going down there this weekend to help him get his stuff to some kind of storage location, he has to have it all out. That is, if the insurance people and fire people will let him wait until then, otherwise it may have to be sooner. He doesn't drive (urban type that has never needed to) so I'm not even sure how he's going to get boxes. Yikes the details, I was up worrying about this half the night.

I'll let you all know more as I find out more. Right now Tim is stressed, anxious, and scared. Oh yea, and to answer the one question, he does do girl hair!

Sherry

• Why Georgia
    Why Georgia

I used to volunteer for the Red Cross and they would often help people out by giving them food, clothing, housing vouchers, and even money to get going again. Have they been in contact? He might need to call them if they haven't.

I am sorry for your brother - a fire is absolutely devestating. I'm glad he is okay.

You're a good sister for going to help him.

Big hugs to both of you,

WG

• caligirl
    caligirl

Hugs to your brother, from someone who has been through a house fire. It is unbelievably difficult to lose your home.

• avishai
    avishai

Theres something you can soak your stuff in to get the smell out, but I forget what it is. I'll try and find out....

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

Thanks, Avishai I know that will be of great help! At this point its more the fact that he's homeless. I imagine the smoke damage is pretty bad, his friend told me the interior walls upstairs were entirely black. I think he'll know what is destroyed as what isn't as he goes through it all piece by piece. Clothes will wash, but I wonder if his computer will ever work again. His other appliances and anything else electrical may be the same depending on where they were located and if the fire hoses were trained in that direction.

I have yet to talk to him today, I mean to try here in a few minutes. So I'll know if he's made that call to the Red Cross.

Thanks all for your support.

Sherry

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I am a long way from Portland but lets pass on commiserations to the poor man - I hope he has all the insurance he needs .

• Odrade
    Odrade

Bump... How is Tim getting along?

• Robdar
    Robdar

What an awful thing to happen. Thank God your brother got out alive!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit