Fire in Portland!!

by Gretchen956 21 Replies latest social family

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

Details are sketchy yet, but my brother Tim, whom many of you Portlanders have now met, had a fire in his apartment this morning. The damage isn't total, but its devastating. He did not have rental insurance, and the fire marshall says the cause is an extension cord he had daisy-chained into a surge protector. Tim is unharmed physically but he is a basket case right now. I haven't talked to him personally yet, there was a message on my answering machine. His friend called me to fill me in on what details I do know.

The windows are knocked out, some of the walls had holes knocked into them, the floor will have to be ripped out to get to some of the damage. It went into the next unit and the smoke damage is extensive.

I just got a call from him, he has to move out while it gets repaired, they have to gut the apartment to fix it. I'll probably be down there sometime in the next few days or by the weekend to help. At this point we don't know where he'll stay or anything else.

Well I just wanted some cyber hugs for Tim and for myself so I thought I'd put this out there.

Perhaps if you Portlanders need a haircut in the near future you could throw some business his way, he'll need it!

Sherry

• Gretchen956
  • misspeaches
    misspeaches

Hi Sherry I'm sorry to hear about your brothers misfortune.

I hope he finds somewhere to stay soon and gets back on his feet. At least he has you there for emotional and moral support.

If I was closer by I'd let him cut my hair!!!

All the best... Miss Peaches

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

Thanks, peaches, for a minute there I wondered if I was invisible or had bad BO or something! lol

Sherry

• chrissy
    chrissy

sherry,

woe...this is horrid news. tragedy could not have happened to a sweeter person. you know how you meet someone and you feel instantly comfortable around them... like they are a just a good old soul? thats how i felt when i met your brother, (((tim))). my heart goes out and if there is anything i can do please pm me.... ANYTHING. really. this sucks. :o(

does he do girl cuts? im tempted to drive to portland for my next haircut.

• luna2
    luna2

That's awful, Sherry!

I can only imagine how upset and shaken he must be, poor guy. Hope is able to get a temporary apartment arranged soon and that he is able to salvage some of his stuff.

• Huxley
    Huxley

Man oh man....Sorry to hear about this.

I live in Portland

I need a haircut!

Huxley

• avishai
    avishai

What, if any, personal possesions, i.e clothes, etc. were destroyed? What size is he? I can send him some stuff.....Or we could set up a paypal acct.

Avishai, of the "lost everything in two housefires" class.

• nilfun
    nilfun

I'm so sorry to hear this, Gretchen956. I too was wondering if y'all needed any clothing or personal items (())

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

I was thinking today about getting a haircut...I would go his way if he was in Dallas, TX.

Sorry to hear about his apartment...that is rough. I am glad he is unharmed though.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit