What's The Most Scandalous Thing You've Seen Happen In A Congregation?

by minimus 49 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Many years ago I remember suddenly how the Bible Study Servant who was third in command got removed from his position, and was reproved for having a fling with his Bible student who was much younger and very married too. Actually, her husband came in the Hall while he was substuting as a Watchtower conductor and I was reading and screamed all sorts of profanities to him all the while screaming that he was "F***king his wife"! When the man told him, "I wanna talk to you", the elder said, "not now". This further enraged the man and he subsequently worked his way up to the platform, pushed the lecturn down and said he was going to kill him. At this point, I stepped between the two and told the husband not to touch him. When he went to hit him, I grabbed him by the chest and wrapped my arms around him for what seemed like an eternity. I finally asked, "Will SOMEBODY please come up here and help me?" The congregation basically was in shock. A former professional heavyweight boxer who had recently become a JW walked up the platform and held him down until the police got there. Within a few weeks, the brother lost his position and his wife. Incidentally, it was even more shocking to us since they were Gilead graduates.

• freedomlover
    freedomlover

Wife Swapping...Swingers...whatever you want to call it...

I've seen it in numerous halls and it's usually elders and their wives...

• minimus
    minimus

I find it difficult to believe this wife-swapping happens in numerous Halls.

• carla
    carla

There was a wt which admitted that wife swapping was going on. I'm sure someone will be able to find it.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    Incidentally, it was even more shocking to us since they were Gilead graduates.

Hahaha! See what "higher education" did for them?

The most scandalous thing I ever heard of was me turning into a demonized apostate bastard from hell. I wasn't there to see how the congregation reacted, but I'm told they're still telling stories about me and my demonic exploits. I really wish I could hear the stories. I'm sure they'd be much more interesting than the reality.

W

• undercover
    undercover

I remember when I was a kid overhearing the adults talking about wife-swapping in the congregation and how scandalous it was. I didn't see the big deal as a kid, I thought moms were just trading places, kinda like the TV show.

I've seen a couple of weird encounters happen in the hall, similar to, but not as bad as yours minimus. But the most scandalous thing that happened that I remember right off is a brother in the hall faked his death so as to collect insurance money and to leave his wife and shack up with another woman in another state. All the friends were so worried but the authorities knew something was amiss. Months later he got busted and it created quite a stir in the congregation when it was learned that he was actually alive and as the details came out it, it was embarrassing for the family and the congregation.

I do remember joking about it being a modern day example of the resurrection promise being real.

• avishai
    avishai

Why did you restrain the guy?

• liquidsky
    liquidsky

The wife swapping thing happend in my hall. Twice that I can remember. And I remember a pioneer sister leaving her husband for one her bible studies.

• minimus
    minimus

I restrained the guy because I was young and naive.

• Mary
    Mary
    Minimus said: I find it difficult to believe this wife-swapping happens in numerous Halls.

Believe it or not, it's more common than you think........25-30 years ago, there were numerous wife-swappings going on in the congregations about 5 miles away from me.....and from what I understand, it's still going on.......

The most scandalous thing I remember is my Circuit Overseer leaving his wife of 40 years and taking off with a 28 year old Special Pioneer. Dirty ol' bastard!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit