What is "goth" really like?

by daystar 20 Replies latest social humour

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

My daughter is goth. She listens mostly to very angry, dark music much of the time. But she doesn't define herself as strictly goth. She can dress in regular clothing and she sill does listen to lots of other genres of music. This is her. When I named her I never dreamt Carrie would be a popular name at Goth clubs, due to the Stephen King Novel and book.

• Huxley
    Huxley

Hey Leolaia, I'm going to see broken social scene tonight! They're opening for The Clientele! I'm thrilled...

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Damn it! I wanted to see them last week but they were sold out.

Will Feist be there, or Amy instead?

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

Flyinghighnow, I would love to sit and talk to you about this.....lol. My daughter is 12 and a few years ago she started dressing in her own style. If we go to the movies or to the mall, she is dressed in black lace, dark eye shadow and well you now all the goth garb. We fight about it sometimes because it is quite outlandish and so not mainstream. She HATES American Eagle and will not even walk in that store. I know it might be a phase, but I don't know.

She loved Ozzy before I did , when she was 3, she has always been different .

When we left the borg, i let her choose , have a choice to be her own person.

Now I am not so sure I should not have put the brakes on more about this goth stuff. I have to say I understand as I tend to gravitate to the darker side of things , but it is private. With Goths, it is so out there.

She loves only horror movies, she love Hot Topic and those Living Dead Dolls.

If she stays like she is we wont have too many problems but if the Goth side gets any darker, I will have to do something ,,,,,,what I am not sure.

Any advice and how old is your daughter?

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

my sister introduced me to Hot Topic...very cool store. She is 18 and living with us. She listens to a lot of music I have to constantly tell her to turn down. My god, do I feel old...I am only 34!!!

She is a HUGE Marilyn Manson fan. I like some of his stuff, but cannot listen to a whole cd of it in one sitting. She likes some more mainstream rock too though. I took her to see Reggie, Alkaline Trio & My Chemical romance in September...truly not goth stuff, hahah,. Now I do like Rob Zombie...

Now my daughter, who is 6, we refer to her as Gothically Blonde. She loves morbid subjects, and likes black nail polish. She has her pink and frilly barbie side too.

I love Susie an the banshees...congrete blonde too...but never really thought of them as goth. I was the kid that was half punk/half hippie in high school.

Goth seems to definately have a dark side. However, I think if you know what your kids are into, and can talk to them about it, you will have a good idea as to whether to really worry about it or not. I did a lot more dangerous things with my hippie friends than I ever did with my punk/goth friends hahah.

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

Thanks for the perspective Eyebrow, I am growing closer to my daughter , because I truly love her style and her ideas. I have raised her to be true to herself and as long as she stays like she is now I will have no problem. I have grown tolerate of the stares she gets as we walk thru the mall, even I gringe at times at her Beetlejuice white and red stockings and big chunky black heels. I would throw down if someone said something truly ugly to her .

I guess to be honest alot of what I fear is what other people think , I mean it doesnt consume me but it is there. I worry that people think she worships the devil, I worry people will think she is going to go crazy and shoot up the hood. I know she is not, I know her,,,,,,but ya know it is kind of hard having just a few kids who are goth living in such a small town.

In our town, you either go to church and pretend to be holy, or you are a known partying drunk. I know people talk and I wish they took the time to get to know her before they assume she worships the devil.

My daughter doesnt do drugs, she isnt sleeping with boys, ( many of the good church goers little daughters are thou) so I feel she is pretty grounded. She is only 12 , so I know I have many issues that will come up with her, goth or not. Her older Brother , Mr . American Eagle himself , sure has given me pains in the ass from time to time. Goes to show it really doesnt matter what you are on the outside, kids are kids.

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith

I recently revisited my old 80's goth roots a couple of weeks ago when Bauhaus did a reuinion show here in Portland, Oregon. It was a decent show, but you can tell they're getting old just like me. You know you're getting old when you have dry dreams and wet farts. I was going thru my old cassette tape collection the other day and came across some really archaic stuff: Current 93, Legendary Pink Dots, Samhain, Christian Death, Lydia Lunch, Tones on Tail, Skinny Puppy, Front 242, all my old Misfits and Danzig stuff, Fields of the Nephilim, Coil, Dead Can Dance, Peter Murphy, Sisters of Mercy, etc.,etc.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Here is one of my favorite Marilyn Manson videos... Tainted Love originally by Depeche Mode .

(The MP3 sounds even better)

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Dee Dee, I sent you a PM.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Minor note...."Tainted Love" is a Soft Cell song.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit