What is "goth" really like?

by daystar 20 Replies latest social humour

• daystar
    daystar

Oh my goth!!! - http://www.ps260.com/editors/hein_goth.html

What's really funny is that... it's almost true!

• whyamihere
    whyamihere

That's so F***ing True!

I went to a goth Halloween party. Everyone looked liked death...yet they played 80's hits. Of course they didn't seem to like me. Was it my pink shirt or my sparkles? I say dare to be different. I am so over that High School Crap!

Brooke

• daystar
    daystar

It's most funny to me because I used to circle around that scene. Most of the people who've been in the scene since near the beginning are in their 30s now. So, you know, they're getting a little more balanced, and they recall fondly all of the 80s music. Not too long ago I went on a camping trip with some friends who were mostly "goth" and we were listening to like Duran Duran, Johnnie Cash and Janis Joplin along with Skinny Puppy, NIN, and more arcane techno/goth groups.

• whyamihere
    whyamihere

Well...I totally get along with the Goth crowd. I am not into it because I love color and sassy outfits....lol. Once they get to know me they understand I am completely down to earth and non judgmental. I don't care that they do it. I say whatever floats your boat. I had a blast with all of them at the halloween party and want to go back next year wearing a wedding dress!

Brooke

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

When I went to high school, I hung out with the "library nerd" crowd and the "hippy" crowd (I was friends with two girls who always went to school wearing tie-dyes and playing their acoustic guitars), not sure if there was anything like a "goth" scene in the mid-80s, but I sure liked music now considered Goth music, especially Siouxsie and the Banshees and the Cure. S&TB is still one of my most favorite musical groups.

• daystar
    daystar

Leolaia

The goth scene was just barely starting in the mid-80s. It was a child of the punk scene. When I graduated HS in '91, I think we had maybe 8 goths.

Siouxsie and the Banshees and the Cure were more mainstream. What about Alien Sex Fiend, or Fields of the Nephilim? Or maybe Concrete Blond?

• forsharry
    forsharry

oh this was a riot! :)

I secretly hung with the gothies in school, although my mother would have had kittens if she ever had found out that I hung out with such 'bad' associations. Funny thing, they accepted anyone...very easy going...everyone was trying to grow into themselves and welcomed anyone who was just as they were...after all, it was a mentality, not just a fashion-statement.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Oh yeah, I liked Concrete Blonde too in the late '80s. I was really mainstream, I think. Depeche Mode was my big favorite for many years. A lot of synthpop bands too. But I loved the dark, creepy lyrics and sounds of Siouxsie.

Now I listen to bands that no one has ever heard of.

On a Tokyo subway:

• daystar
    daystar
    Now I listen to bands that no one has ever heard of.

Tell me about it. Damien Rice, Jude, Cat Power, Guster, Aqualung, Vas, Coil, Mountain Goats, Tugend, Tor Lundvall, Faun Fables, Current 93...

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Yeah I like Chan Marshall.

I also like Metric, Broken Social Scene, Stars, Minipop, Let's Go Sailing, P: Ano, Feist, Hayden, Phoenix, Curve, Client, Dubstar, the Dears, etc. Some of these might be more familiar to those who live in Canada.

None, I think, would ever come under the rubric of goth, btw, just indie...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit