Need to vent: Wife just went in full cult mode, huge fight. she is so brainwashed

by goingthruthemotions 53 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

First, using words like Borg are not helping things. I'm assuming you are just using the terms here and not when talking to your wife (or children).

I would guess that she has been talking either to a sister she listens to or an elder and may be trying to label you as spiritually dangerous; the WTS allows jw spouses to separate from their spouse (but not divorce unofficially).  If you haven't been  talking up points recently, she may feel she needs more evidence.  Doing it in front of the children...bad, bad, bad....you can stop the conversation when it goes that way and take it to a neutral place if possible where the children aren't. 

BTW my mother was the jw and my father was not and had their fights in front of us...not good. 

• goingthruthemotions
    goingthruthemotions

thanks kate and everyone...you all are the only ones who could truely understand this situation. 

OMG.....it's such a trivail thing and yet it is being made huge.  i have always questioned her love

for me. and now i know where her heart lies. she holds the elders and org way above me. yet i give unconditional love, i provide iam a good father.

joining this cult was the worse mistake of my life....if i could turn back time!

shalom

• KateWild
    KateWild

GTTM,

Very sad indeed. You know what's in her heart and she knows what's in yours. The trouble is there is no middle ground at the moment. So very sad. I am really sorry. I wish there was some advice I could give you to save your marriage, but you're wife is seriously stuck in cult mode and out to expose you it seems.

Kate xx

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

Hang in there, man.  As was said before - try to engage only with her natural personality, when the cult personality is controlling her, just shut down, or if she comes at you all of a sudden, you might be able to deflect by asking her what brings this up.  It's so difficult not to just jump right in with all the proof that it's a cult when you're being challenged, but sometimes you have to make a strategic withdraw to win later.  I'm the type that I like to debate and present a solid argument/proof of my point, but convincing the other person is secondary to beating them.  It's really tough to switch gears to letting some bit of completely flawed reasoning go unchallenged in the interests of convincing someone over presenting a good argument.

Also, while it may be true, pushing the 'mind control' business might not be the most effective approach.  No one under mind control actually believes they're being controlled or manipulated - that's why it works.  So when you say that, you're directly and succinctly challenging the very reality in which she lives.  This is like someone coming to you and asserting that your children are hallucinations and that you're schizophrenic - you'd probably not take it very well if they continued to press the issue.  

When asked what your problem is with the cult, you might change to something like "my problem is that it seems to be the source of all the arguments that I have with the woman that I love."  It's tough to hold back and remain calm, but one of you needs to and it's sure not going to be her.  

I haven't dealt with anything on this level yet myself, but I'm sure it's coming.  Thanks for sharing. 

Oh, and heisenburg - maybe you should start another thread.  It's rather insensitive to come in here and defend the cult that's trying to break up someone's marriage.  

• goingthruthemotions
    goingthruthemotions

you are right Blondie, I don't use those words to her or the kids. i am respectful...they only real thing i have told her is that my main issue is: i believe the Orginization uses mind control tactics...the B.I.T.E model i have never really tried to prove anything to her. 

i did tell her last night the if she were born a mormon...she would believe whole heartedly that the WTBTS was wrong. she than said...well i am glad i born a witness. she could not get my point of reasoning. so i dropped it.

Blondie, she says that i betrayed her....how? i still love Jehovah and Jesus with all my heart...i told her i respected what she believed. she said she was going to the elders....i told her i would not talk to them....that they don't have any authority over me and i don't owe them an explination. and if she did...i would not be nice to them. i told her i didn't want to talk about it. she is so blind to the WTBTS. 

thanks Blondie

• out4good4
    out4good4

Whenever my wife starts attacking me in cult mode, I  just ask her is she practicing the fruitages of the spirit.

That usually shuts her up quick.

• Sail Away
    Sail Away

goingthroughthemotions, I am truly sorry for your pain. I have been where your wife is right now, and I promise you she is hurting too. You, your wife and your marriage are all fighting the death grip of the WTBTS. I wrote this article a couple of years ago to explain my thought process when I was still a JW and married to my husband who had left the organization long before I did. Perhaps this will help in some way. That is my hope. Here is the link:

http://aawa.co/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/How-to-Stay-Married-to-Your-JW

NB: I meant no offense by the title to my article when referring to my JW spouse simply as a JW. I did not know this article would end up searchable in Google, but there you have it. 

Sail Away

• goingthruthemotions
    goingthruthemotions

thanks Sail and out4good4.....this truely is a battle. and i truely hate the ORG. 

• quest81
    quest81

GTTM: Am sorry this is happening to you and your family.

I have been where you are too not long ago (3 months ago actually). What I realized quickly after a lot of independent reading on cults and high control groups was to avoid direct confrontation and arguments. It's important to be able to identify whether your spouse is her authentic self or in the cult driven mode before responding to sensitive subjects. I advise against using words like 'mind control' or 'cult' (hard I know in the heat of an argument) as they trigger thought stopping techniques in your "still in" wife. When opportunity presents itself, remain calm and make your points sincerely.

If you chose to stop being a JW, do you think you could make things work with your wife and kids if she choose to remain one?

• goingthruthemotions
    goingthruthemotions

thanks quest81...i have no issue with her remaining a jwdub...she is her own person and should believe what she wants as should I. I have told her this. has for the kids...my older son wants nothing to do with the cult. our younger one isn't to hip on it either.

the problem is....she doesn't want to be with an apostate. 

what a double standard these cult minded people have.

thanks again all....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit