Larc's Family-Placed Obituary

by JAVA 17 Replies latest jw friends

• JAVA
    JAVA

Larc's family-placed obituary is in the Sunday, 11/13/05 "Dayton Daily News."
    "THORNTON, Carl Leonard 65 of Oakwood, OH., passed away Mon., Nov. 7, 2005. Carl retired as a Tenured Professor of Organizational Behavior from Kettering University (formerly GMI), Flint, MI., in 2000, having served there since 1986. From 1978-1986 Carl was with the NCR Corp., Dayton, OH, last serving as Director of Training/Development, Engineering & Manufacturing Group, and was functionally responsible for the educational programs at 16 US manufacturing and 8 international locations of NCR. From 1976-1978 he served as the Executive Director of Personnel Affairs, University of Miami, FL. From 1973-1976, he served as an Assistant Professor, GMI and consulted full time with General Motors, Corporate, Detroit, MI in developing performance appraisal systems implemented in all 32 divisions of GM. Additionally from 1970-1976 he served as a Consultant of Psychological Assessments and Test Administration for the Bureau of Vocational Rehabilitation (BVR), primarily in Columbus, OH and Flint, MI. From 1963-1973, he worked at the Goodyear Corp. in Akron, OH. Carl received a MA and PHD in Psychology from the University of Akron, OH., and authored or co-authored 25 professional journal published submissions. Carl graduated from Tallmadge HS, outside of Akron, OH in 1958. He was preceded in death by his parents, Leonard E. and Mary Virginia (Teel) Thornton of Akron, OH. Carl is survived by his wife of 42 years, Janice Elaine (Mattingly/Baranchik) Thornton; 3 children, Matthew C., Miriam (Mimi) C., and Maria E., all of the Dayton, OH area; 4 grandchildren, Maiya, Connor, Kataryn, and Jerico; and a sister Judy and husband Michael Frahlich of Simpsonville, SC. His final resting place will be at the Woodland Cemetery Mausoleum, Dayton, OH. There will be a private family memorial at a later date. Memorial contributions may be made in Carl's memory to the charity of the donor's choice."

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

An accomplished and intelligent family man. My sympathies to his wife and children - he is already missed around here.

• mouthy
    mouthy

My sympathies to his wife and children

Yes he will be missed is true .My sympathies also.

• under74
    under74

sad he's gone.

Thanks for posting this JAVA.

• Dansk
    Dansk

Carl's résumé will be a difficult one to follow - including here! A magnificent poster sadly missed!!

Ian

• willyloman
    willyloman

Yikes! An intellectual giant walked among us. He'll be missed.

• sf
    sf

Sincerely, sKally

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

Thanks for the update Java. I've emailed Jan, about arrangements, but haven't heard back from her. Let her know she's in our thoughts and prayers.

lisa

• Angharad
    Angharad

RIP Carl

(((((Jan)))))

• outnfree
    outnfree

Thanks for posting that, JAVA.

An impressive resume! And an engaging personality, too. I'm sad Carl no longer walks this earth, but am grateful I got to meet him a few years back.

Again, my sympathy to you, JAVA, and his other friends, and to the lovely Jan and their family.

Brenda/outnfree

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit