Larc's Family-Placed Obituary

by JAVA 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

He will be missed, we are saddened by his passing. However , his passing through this forum has helped the many who have read his writings. Goodbye Carl.

Blueblades

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

He was a great guy and I missed his presence here well before I heard of his departure.

Carl was not just a loss to JWD, but a loss to society in general.

Thanks for posting this JAVA.

RIP Carl

• JAVA
    JAVA

Carl and Jan dropped by my house about 20-years ago when I was still married to a JW (who had already reported my sin of voting to the elders). We had written back and forth a few times, and they thought it might be helpful to show my spouse that former JWs didn't grow horns and tails. When they arrived at our house, the reported and camera crew were just leaving because I had been interviewed about something in the community. That's the setting of first meeting Carl and Jan together.
    They didn't walk in with a book bag filled with anti-JW material, they just dropped by as neighbors to say hi and introduce themselves. It didn't take long before my spouse left the living room and busied herself in the kitchen. She could hang around when the worldly reporter was in our home, but couldn't be neighborly with Carl and Jan.
    We soon divorced after a 21-year marriage, and I started taking classes at college. Carl and I would meet at a coffee shop to talk and share information about our JW history and my new status as a single man. About a year later Carl and Jan attended my wedding celebration (I met a woman at the university) nearly16-years ago.
    Time has a way of getting away from us and becoming circular. Carl retired from teaching at a college in Flint, MI that's now called Kettering University (it was GMI when he was there). I now teach at a college in Ohio called Kettering College of Medical Arts. From time to time I meet a student or hospital employee who's former JW, and return the favor Carl and Jan did for me many years ago.
    Life can be cut short, but the gifts left behind can keep on giving.
    Michael

• jgnat
    jgnat

Larc was one of the mature posters to welcome me to the board, a newbie. I'm very sorry he's gone.

• Fleur
    Fleur

Oh! I'm so sad about this! Carl was one of the folks I remember first talking to when I came onto the exJW scene (has it really been almost six years ago that I stumbled into H2O?)

I'm so sorry to hear he's gone...he will be remembered fondly by me. Thank you for posting that Java!

hugs

esmeralda

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

Wow...........wish I could have known Larc.

How long was he a JW and when did he learn the eal truth?

People like him add so much to our lives.

HappyDad

• JAVA
    JAVA

HappyDad – Carl grew up in a JW family, but he wanted to go to college instead of being a window washer and pioneering. His first field of study was chemistry. He picked chemistry because it was safe, and wouldn’t offend his family and other JWs.
    While at the college library he found a book with an interesting title called, “The True Believer” by Eric Hoffer. The book was written in 1951 about political extremists, but the subject matter could easily identify religious extremists, too. He read the book from cover to cover while sitting in the library. Carl told me that after reading Hoffer’s book the JW mindset was history. As can be seen in his obituary, his field of study changed. :)

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

Rest in peace Carl.

You're in my prayers Jan.

Andi

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit