JW kids: How old were you when you stopped getting spanked?

by rebel8 47 Replies latest jw friends

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

cant remember when the spankings stopped...but i do remember that there would always be the reasoning before the spanking..which was much worse..just get on with it already..i do remember working out that the sooner i cried the sooner they stopped so no macho bravado from me..unfortunately my folks werent idiots so they worked out what i was doing so came up with other more meaningful punishments..usually not playing soccer...

good times

• bull01lay
    bull01lay

Can't remember the last time I was 'spanked' as punishment - my mum used to use the Wooden Spoon, as being able to discipline me so I felt it meant hurting her own hand I kinda got to like it after a while... sure, the initial sting would make me dance about a bit, but the warm glowy feeling afterwards was nice!

I think tbh, I needed direction and correction as a child. I was very willfull, and looking back, some of the things I wanted to do were dangerous, and only fears of punishment stopped me.

I don't feel abused by my treatment, even though I was hit in anger sometimes.

I feel for you guys that had it much worse than me!

Bull!

• Alakzam
    Alakzam

Wow! I am so thankful I was raised in Sweden! It is against the law to spank/beat/strike your child. Also illegal to berate or emotionally abuse children. This is closely monitered by schools, and other parents. If even a rumor of physical/emotional abuse, even just spanking, swedish social services took over. If found to be practicing, mandatory 3 months in jail. 3 months for every time reported.

None of my friends or myself ever had our parents even threaten physical violence. Very civilized society. I can only remember one family who did and the father was sent to jail.

• blondie
    blondie

Alakzam, I understand that the WTS edited their Swedish publications to take out any mention of spanking. Do you know about that?

Blondie (welcome)

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

A few months ago my mother related a story to me about my aunt (a jw) who says that she reserves the right to physically discipline her grown children, that she wasnt above slapping the stew out of one of them if they got out of line with her. I could tell that my mother was wistfully in agreement with her. I told my mother that I didnt believe my aunt, that if she does that kind of crap she deserves to have the cops take her away for assault, and that I personally wouldnt take that crap either - I didnt want my mother getting any ideas about possibly trying to pop me one, I'd hate to have to hit my own mother.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I was 17 yrs old.

My mother had gooten a leather strap from the shoemaker near where we lived. It hung at the front door so it was visible to anyone who came over for the bookstudy. And she made sure that everyone knew it was well used.

And I remember that last strapping. I was living at home taking care of two brothers and my sister while my mother went work. I didn't clean the house to her satifaction. And that probably was because my brothers either broke an arm (again) or we had the police at the house looking for one of my brothers for beating up some neighbor kid.

INone of the others kids got beaten as long as I did. She threw them all of them out by the age of 15

• rebel8
    rebel8

What interesting stories! Clearly there is a mix between the parents who disciplined out of obligation, and those who did so out of anger. I usually visit this forum with every intention of discussing something serious and end up laughing. I have to admit some of your stories are really funny....and really sad too.

My mother definitely was an emotional disciplinarian, meaning whenever the feeling motivated her to spank us, she did. She could be mad at my dad and suddenly one of us would get spanked. I actually hate to use the word spank because it was way beyond that sometimes. As a kid with a severe bleeding disorder, I often had contusions (deep tissue bruises) or blood clots in my muscles after a "spanking". She would hit me with a wooden spoon or closed fist on the back, neck, legs, and butt as hard as she could and as many times as it took to satisfy her anger. It would not matter if she was hitting me in the same spot as injuries she gave me the day before (especially dangerous if there was a blood clot). Upstanding moral woman for sure.

Wow--I wish I grew up in Sweden! I knew child abuse was against the law here but it was just around the time where awareness was not yet at its peak. I did tell my school guidance counselors and relatives but no one did a damn thing.

It hung at the front door so it was visible to anyone who came over for the bookstudy.
    And she probably got some congregational accolades for that. How pathetic. Not only was she abusing you, she was proud enough of it to display her weapon....and she made sure to display it in a spot where you'd be constantly reminded of it. That's really sick.
  • Legolas
    Legolas

I was only ever spanked twice in my life (By my father that is...He he)!

One time I was about 5 I wanted to go back outside after supper but it was dark and I took a hissy fit...LMAO...so dad had to give me a slap on my hip!

The last time I was about 10, I was told that under NO circumstance was I allowed to a certain friends house, well I went and they found out and he slapped me about three times on my leg for going....Well when I grew up I found out why I was told not to go, they abused their children!

• Alakzam
    Alakzam

Yes, it is true the publications never approve spanking/violence towards children.

While studying in university in the US I attended meetings at the local kingdom hall. I was shocked the first time I watched a small one being beaten on the way outside the hall during the middle of a meeting. I jumped up and ran to the child's aid. The elders had a meeting with me on how wrong I was to interrupt this 'parental discipline', Jehovah expects children to be disciplined. I agreed that children need discipline, but no person should be degraded by physical violence. I asked what a child could do to receive this sort of treatment. The child wanted to go to the bathroom, when not allowed, he wet his pants.

Yeah, what a loving organization. The beginning of my exit....

• Gill
    Gill

About 19, if I remember rightly. It was just before I was to get married, about a couple of weeks,

and my witch of a MIL was already trying to pull her control stunts. I refused to do what my MIL to be wanted. My mum was ashamed that I was not kissing ass of this 'wonderful christian woman' and slapped me savagely about the face and screamed at me that I was a filthy bitch and all I was getting married for was sex. (What else?!)

Anyway, though hurt, I DID NOT do as I was told and once I left....I left. I just feel sad for them all now...but happy for myself and husband that we have both completely broken away from religious looney parents, though it certainly took a few more years to cut all the ties that they still had. It's so good to be free of those idiots. Love them of course. But they're still idiots!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit