"Science has proven that God doesn't exist"

by AlmostAtheist 21 Replies latest jw friends

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

A quote from a poster on another thread that I promised myself I wouldn't hijack:

a portion of [posters on JWD are] antitheists which means they hold the view that science has already proved that god doesn't exist.

May I ask, who are these posters? I don't read EVERY post on JWD, I could buy that I just missed it.

Atheists by and large have come to that point by realizing that things that can't be proven shouldn't be believed outright. There ought to at least be some evidence suggesting the thing is true. That being the case, I have a hard time imagining any such individual thinking that there is some scientific test that could be performed that would show God doesn't exist.

In fact, I can't imagine there's a test to prove the non-existence of anything. How would you "test" for the non-existence of Santa Claus? UFO's? Purple Carrots?

Testing for the EXISTENCE of something isn't too hard, but a negative result would only mean that you didn't find it, not that it doesn't exist.

Dave

• daystar
    daystar

Many theists just don't get it. I don't understand, really, how they don't.

I mean, were I to have a feeling, a desire to believe in God, I think my honesty and integrity would cause me to have to admit that there really is no positive, objective proof. That doesn't mean he absolutely does not exist, just that there is no direct evidence that doesn't have more reasonable, mundane, explanation.

Ever heard of "Scientific Illuminism"? I don't know how possible that is, but it rather sounds like a cool idea.

• bikerchic
    bikerchic
    Testing for the EXISTENCE of something isn't too hard, but a negative result would only mean that you didn't find it, not that it doesn't exist.

Here is the result of my test Dave:

*prayer, hands folded, serene, hopeful, earnest, sincere, needy*

Me....(5 - 10 years old) "Dear God......bla,bla,bla"

God....

Me....(10- 12 years old)"Dear God, you know it's the same thing, bla,bla,bla"

God....

Me....(13 - 14 years old)"Dear God, I'm going freaking nuts here, bla,bla,bla"

God...

Me....(15 - 20 years old after being dunked)"Okay Dear JEHOVAH, lovely name Hebrew isn't it? I've still got that problem, bla,bla,bla"

God....

Me....(20 - 48 years old) "Dear Jehovah, I'm praying for our dear brothers in ____ we all have the same trials trying to serve you and remain faithful, I need help with this, I promise if you help me with this I will do more in service, bla,bla,bla......"

God....

Me.....(48 years old) "God?, Tap, tap.....you up there? You listening? Hello, hello? Awe the hell with it I know what to do........"

My hypothesis Dave after nearly 5 decades of praying to God is to rely on myself I'm the only one listening and caring about my problems and although I'm caring about others it is pretty useless to help anyone else but myself and those closest to me, or those I have a personal responsibility to and I do this by example only. If my example say to my children was to ignore them as God's example was to me I guess I would be at the very least arrested for neglect.

Okay this is a test it is only a test.......go on back to your regular programing. I give up on God!

• daystar
    daystar

Oh, but bikerchic, he did answer your prayers! He really did! Just... invisibly...

• Darth Yhwh
    Darth Yhwh

Perhaps the anti bickerchick in some other parallel universe received the benifits of all those prayers?

• skyman
    skyman

The plain truth is this the GOD of the JW's does not exist for exsample Jehovah use to a GOD of fertility over century's he evolved to the GOD of the bible. You can see this in the Bible even. He did not know about SODOM AND GAMORA had to send down an Angel, GOD could not find Moses son to kill him for not being circumcised, he was hid in a cave from GOD . The GOD of the JEWS ANS CHRISTIANS is not true.

I for one have to believe that some type of high power did or still exist because we are here. It can not be a GOD that once was a GOD of FERTILTY, or a GOD so powerless as not to know about SODOM and GAMORA, nor where to find a man hide from him.

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

daystar:

Oh, but bikerchic, he did answer your prayers! He really did! Just... invisibly...

Oh, not to worry I got the message loud and clear. It didn't take me to long to discover "self-will".

• daystar
    daystar

or... if you choose to believe in karma too, your prayers may have already been answered in a previous life, or may yet be in a future one.

(anything at all to make a person feel warm and fuzzy inside, even lie through the teeth)

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

Darth dude:

Perhaps the anti bickerchick in some other parallel universe received the benifits of all those prayers?

Oh I can only hope for that now eh?

• daystar
    daystar
    "self-will"

Hmmm... well, there ya go! Proof that gods exist!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit