HELP ME!

by theguy 14 Replies latest jw friends

• theguy
    theguy

I'm in need of some information about this very interesting religion. I would like to know more about:

1.Sacred Writings

2.Holidays and Rituels (dates if possible)

3.Where do Jehovah's Witnesses meet to perfrom religious ceremonies.

4.Who is the god?

5.What do you think about life after death?

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Well you could start here: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/28/1.ashx

Be prepared for a whole lot of reading

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

welcome to the board. In answer to your questions:

1.Sacred Writings - they believe the bible is sacred but have hundreds of books published which are supposed to help one understand the bible.

2.Holidays and Rituels (dates if possible) They don't allow celebration of the following - Christmas, Easter, Birthdays, valentines, Any Saints days, Thanks Giving, Harvest Festival, Mothers Day, Fathers Day, Bonfire Night, Independence Day and anything else you can think of.

They do celebrate wedding anniversaries and Jesus dying.

They don;t really have ceremonies - but they do insist you meet up to study their publications and learn how to preach from door to door at 5 weekly meetings.

4.Who is the god?

Jehovah

I personally don;t believe in life after death. JW's believe that very soon there will be a war on earth called Armageddon in which everyone who is not a baptised Jehovah's Witness will be slaughtered. All those who are JWs will survive and after they have cleaned up the bodies with the help of crows will live forever in a paradise earth.

Hope this helps - maybe you can let me know why you are asking?

• rebel8
    rebel8

www.jwinfo.50megs.com -- lots of info and links there

My advice: don't get involved and run as fast as you can to get away.

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

That's a lot of research and reading you have to do. I'll boil your queries down to simple answers from my perspective:

1.Sacred Writings

Lots exist. The New Testament, the apocryphal and gnostic writings, the Tanakh, the Qu'ran, the Hindu Vedas, the Tao de Ching and other Chinese writings, etc. Take your pick. All constructs of the human mind IMO and not having anything to do with any gods.

Look at your calendar. Usually important societal holiadys are mentioned at the appropriate day. Then look 'em up in wikipedia or any encylopedia.

They call their churches Kingdom Halls. Large conventions are performed either at halls built by JWs or arenas rented by JWs (like convention centers or sports stadiums).

4.Who is the god?

None exist. JWs think the ancient semitic tribal mountain god Jehovah is the one true one. The Bible also uses the word "god" for inferior people or spirits, but they are personages of power and influence. Jehovah is the only god to be worshipped: monotheism. JWs reject the trinity.

There is no life after death.

• xjwms
    xjwms

Hello and Welcome

Boy, ... you are in for a whole lota of info.

If you stay here.

• daystar
    daystar

I believe that Crumpet and Cygnus have answered this succinctly.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    I'm in need of some information about this very interesting religion. I would like to know more about:

1.Sacred Writings

4.Who is the god?

1. Jehovah's Witnesses claim the bible is a sacred writing. In reality, books and magazines published by the Watchtower Society take precedence over the bible.
    2. There are no holidays or rituals celebrated by Jehovah's Witnesses. The closest thing to that is the memorial of Jesus' death where they pass the bread and wine around. The vast majority do not partake of the bread and wine, thereby rejecting Jesus' sacrifice.
    3. They meet in Kingdom halls, but there are no religious ceremonies. Rather the meetings are study sessions to aid in the indoctrination process. People are also trained to indoctrinate others.
    4. They claim Jehovah is God. In reality, the Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses, in Brooklyn NY is God. Their dictates always take precedence over what Jehovah says.
    5. They do not believe in life after death. They do, however, believe that everyone who is not a Jehovah's Witness will die at Armageddon, and that they alone will survive and live in a paradise earth where they will play with lions, lambs, and cobras too. They also think they will spend most of their time sitting under their own vines and fig trees.

W

• Legolas
    Legolas

Welcome to the board!

We are mostly ex witnesses here. I Will answer your questions to what 'WITNESSES' believe NOT me!

1.Sacred Writings ......The Bible...(But mostly the Watchtower) HaHa

2.Holidays and Rituels (dates if possible)......
    They celebrate nothing but the Memorial.

3.Where do Jehovah's Witnesses meet to perfrom religious ceremonies ......They meet mainly in Kingdom Halls.

4.Who is the god?.......
    Jehovah (and the Governing Body)

5.What do you think about life after death?......
    They believe 144000 go to heaven, and some will stay here on earth, and the rest will just be dead! (After Armageddon)

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

I think Legolas has answered this even MORE succinctly!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit