My sister Robin RIP Mar. 26, 1963 - Nov. 7, 2005

by Lady Lee 105 Replies latest jw friends

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I just got some news and am still shaking

My sister died today. I hardly knew her . I was 11 years old when I first found out I even had a sister. She was already 1 1/2 years old. I missed her baby years. I missed out on expecting a new member of the family. I missed out on her first steps and giving her a bottle. I missed out on snuggling a newborn and all those wonderful baby smells. I missed dressing her up and caring for her. And ooohhhhh I wanted a sister so badly. But had three brothers before my parents separated.

I had one year when I was twelve to dress and play and take care of her and then I was gone again. During that year I became her mommy. I got her up and fed her and changed her and took her to the babysitters before I went to school. After school I picked her up and took her home. I was the one who fed her and played with her and then put her to bed. I was the one who loved her. Then I was sent to foster care.

By the time I went back to my mother Robin was a little girl just starting kindergarten. I quit school to take care of her. I walked her to school and brought her back. I was the one to feed her and start supper.

I had two years of caring for her before I married. In her whole life we only lived in the same house for 3 years. I have a picture of her playing with my baby. Robin is sitting on the floor rocking the baby seat.... so proud to be an auntie.

It wasn't long before my mother put Robin in a group home. By the age of 14 Robin was a troubled young girl. Far more troubled than I knew. I don't think she ever went to live back home again. She tried but my mother always refused to let her come home.

Robin told me that she had been sexually abused as a child. I knew about the beatings. I knew she often went to school with bruises and whelts on her legs. I knew she was a hurting kid but there was nothing I could do.

She disappeared from the family as all of my mother's children have done. I didn't hear from her for years. When she did finally contact me she was heavy into drugs to numb the pain inside her. She didn't remember those beatings. She once told me that she still believed the JWs had the truth. She said she decided early on that she knew she could never be a perfectly good (like any JW) so she decided to be perfectly bad. She spent the rest of her years being perfectly bad.

A few years ago I tried to get her into a drug rehab program. Everything was set. All she had to do was show up. She didn't. She didn't want to deal with the demons of the past - a past filled with condemning Jehovah's Witnessess. A past filled with a mother's hatred and a father's desertion. She swore she would never bring a child into this world. It was just too painful a place to be.

Yesterday I hung a picture on my wall. It is the only picture of all 5 of us together. That was 35 years ago. She looks like an innocent child dressed in her white dress and her hair in braids. We were in Toronto for a convention and my father brought my oldest brother to visit with us. One picture of a family of children torn apart but for one moment captured in a frame.

My only thought now is that she is free of the past and the hurts and pains of a life she could never heal from.

Robin: May you finally rest in peace.

alt

alt

• damselfly
    damselfly

((((((ladylee)))))) When you look after younger siblings they become like your own. I'm so sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing your story and the pictures.

Dams

• twinflame
    twinflame

(((Lady Lee))) I'm so sorry for your loss and also agree, may she rest in peace, freed from sorrows.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

I'm so sorry ((((((((((LadyLee)))))))))))

Robin

• lola28
    lola28

I'm so sorry for your loss Ladylee, I can't imagine what you must be feeling like. Please know that you are in my thoughts.

lola

• myself
    myself

(((((((((((Lee))))))))))))

I am so sorry. I can't imagine the pain you are going through right now. My heart goes out to you.

Karla

• Soledad
    Soledad

OMG I am so sorry Lady Lee!

Your post really moved me. Robin seems so sweet what a horrible lot she's had.

I knew she often went to school with bruises and whelts on her legs. I knew she was a hurting kid but there was nothing I could do.

Why must grown people do these things to children?

I am really sorry. I am grieving with you.

• AuntieJane
    AuntieJane

Prayers for you, your sister is at peace.

AuntieJ

• freedomlover
    freedomlover

Lady Lee, so sorry for your loss. I have a little sister I helped take care of also. She's 13 years younger than me. She's 19 now and I'm still caring for her in some ways. She is like my own child in some ways. Your sister had much trouble it sounded like. You most likely were a light in her dark world. She was probably very thankful for you. I'm glad she can rest from her sadness now.

Every time I read one of your posts I think you are one incredible person! I am very fortunate to be a part of your giving spirit. Much Love sent to you tonight - FreedomLover

• Uzzah
    Uzzah

Lee:

My heart goes out to you. I am so sorry for your loss but may you find peace in knowing you were one shining example of real love in your sister's life.
    Your loving spirit endears you to all of us.
    My condolences and {{{{{{Lee}}}}}}
    Uzzah

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit