How about a survey?

by AhHah 51 Replies latest jw friends

• AhHah
    AhHah

I thought it might be interesting to post a survey for those who post on this forum.

Perhaps it will provide a basis for some additional stimulating discussions on God and religion.

With that in mind, I have posted a survey of 10 Yes/No/Unsure questions on the Bible/Research forum.

• AhHah
    AhHah

Based on the quick responses so far, it seems that many of us are interested in exploring these issues.

As an incentive for all to post their answers, I will compile the total number of answers (Yes/No/Unsure) to each question and post it. We should probably give it at least a week or so, to give everyone interested an opportunity to post their answers.

Who knows, maybe someone will decide to post this survey (or something like it) on other JW forum sites as well. This could prove to be very informative, very revealing, especially if a large number of people respond. Who knows who may be paying attention? I am sure that we could all come up with other surveys, perhaps some that are more narrow in scope - perhaps about a specific doctrine or practice.

I believe that we all really want to know how others feel about such important questions. However, I have noticed that one only gets an occasional glimpse from one or two people now and then, and they are buried deep inside of posts that originally were not related. By limiting a thread to a specific survey, we are all able to more easily find out what others are thinking.

If you have any other ideas for another survey, please first post it on this thread! This could be exciting!

If this really catches on (and I hope that it does) we might be able to talk Simon into creating a new forum that will be limited to surveys only. At that point, we could probably come up with a survey template posting format that would allow more easily compiling the results and save space requirements for answers.

For them to be truly worth everyone's time to respond, please put much thought into the questions and how they are worded, so that everyone has an opportunity for their opinion to be represented in the answers. Also, if you limit the answers to Yes/No/Unsure (or a similar fixed format), then the results of the survey can be compiled and posted. People can feel free to expand if they want to, as long as they first answer with the fixed format response.

Put your thinking caps on! This could be great!

Edited by - AhHah on 27 September 2000 18:39:1

• Carmel
    Carmel

This went over like a fart in a divers helmet!

• AhHah
    AhHah

I'm reserving judgment for a few more days -- let's give it enough time for everyone to read. This forum certainly needs SOMETHING to get people interested in posting!

Criticism takes no effort or thought - kind of like a fart. I noticed that you haven't responded to the survey yet -- why not? What's in that diver's helmet of yours?

• Angharad
    Angharad

I could always knock up a quick survey page...maybe a weekly poll and graph the results.
    How about a first poll - who thinks the poll is a good idea?

• Seven
    Seven

Arrrggh, Perhaps if you were to post a survey as to why everyone was here it may answer the question: Why have so few responded? The survey was read 113 times. I myself wasn't going to respond. The first question made me feel rather uncomfortable. Maybe others feel the same way.
    Seven

FYI: Most prolonged fart-Bernard Clemmens of London managed to sustain a fart for an officially
    recorded time of 2 minutes and 42 seconds.

Edited by - SevenofNine on 28 September 2000 15:19:57

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

I think I heard Bernard Clemmens on Howard Stern once. (Not that I listen to him or anything ) If its the same guy who can fart songs with his butt.

I believe Stern described him as a "virtuoso", a musical genius. (lol - the difference between boys and girls)

Path

• puppylove
    puppylove

I love polls

I hate farts

Edited by - puppylove on 28 September 2000 17:9:31

• AhHah
    AhHah

Seven of Niiiih,

You make a couple of excellent points. Your idea to post a survey asking why people visit this site is a good one -- why don't you do it?

What does it say about a person who feels uncomfortable responding to whether or not they believe in God? That they would prefer not to face up to their feelings/doubts .. or, that they may be afraid of what others will think? In my opinion, that is all the more reason for a survey. If many who visit this site feel that way, then when they see the results of the survey (assuming the uncomfortable people respond) wouldn't they feel better knowing that others are unsure just like them? Wouldn't that provide a common basis for future discussion? And doesn't the anonymity offered here mitigate any fear of what others may think?

Of course, like you said, it all depends on what a person wants at the time. Maybe some just want others to validate their sadness, anger, etc. But, like Path posted recently, "It seems kind of dead around here." Based on how few persons actually post on this site, maybe some are ready to move past that and actually begin exploring other ideas. My hope is that a survey may help some to feel more comfortable doing just that.

I, for one, do enjoy reading others' thoughts on matters of God and religion. Perhaps the few of us who feel that way here are a very small minority. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Say, did someone fart?

• Angharad
    Angharad

Just to save confusion the post above about survey page was from Simon - he forgot to change the username ( doesn't know how to use his own software)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit