The “Given Ones,” Jehovah’s Provision? by Barbara Anderson

by Dogpatch 47 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• ICBehindtheCurtain
    ICBehindtheCurtain

Barbara, thanks for this, that was a Great Read! Once again this proves it's all smoke and mirrors in Watchtower land.

IC

• TheListener
    TheListener

I really enjoyed that post.

Thank you so much for writing it. You have confirmed some things that I've heard from other sources.

• tall penguin
    tall penguin

Fascinating! Just one more example of how far the wts will stretch the scriptures to back their "truth."
    tp

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    Why do some posters here have to make mountains out of molehills and see Zionist, Illuminati, Rothschild connections out of this experience, which to me is just ridiculous.

It's a basic logical fallacy in conspiracy theories. A recent issue of Skeptic (Vol. 11, No. 4, 2005) has an article by George Case titled "The Truth Is Out There... Way Out There: Three Major Patterns of Conspiratorial Thinking." The first pattern mentioned is the presumption of hidden connections:

George H. W. Bush and Osama bin Laden have shared interests in a Saudi oil company. Lee Harvey Oswald was seen in his future killer Jack Ruby's Dallas nightclub. A numerical translation of Bill Gates' full name adds up to 666. Or, the synchronicities found in any daily newspaper, e.g. "Unexpected Shutdown of Corruption Inquiry" on page one, and "Lawyer's Death Called Foul Play" on page ten. As Hidden Connections, such links are essentially twisted chains of circumstantial evidence, whereby any tenuous overlaps of time, place, and incident become proof of deliberate collusion. But all of us are never more than a few relationships removed from everyone else (the so-called "six degrees of separation"), and putative causes and effects are always happening around each other, especially in hindsight; a really compelling Hidden Connection would accurately predict a future event, rather than employ the hindsight bias by stringing together a disparate assortment of dots after the fact. Chance, simultaneity, and accidents are never conceded by Hidden Connection spotters, and their only conclusion is the ultimate hanging question, 'You be the judge.' In the court of Hidden Connection CTs, a verdict of 'guilty' is never in doubt" (p. 42).

What is almost always missing in such hidden connections is any positive evidence that the "connection" has any relation to a putative conspiracy. So Ianone advances a conspiracy theory in this forum that the Watchtower Society exists through a Jewish or Zionist effort to destroy/supplant/displace true Christianity and/or further the aims of a Jewish-led Masonic/Illuminati world conspiracy. This is based on very tenuous links (i.e. "Skull and Bones" is a Masonic organization founded by the Russell Trust, C. T. Russell belongs to the "Russell" family, thereby connecting Pastor Russell to "Skull and Bones" through a presumed but unsubstantiated link) and new information that posits more potential links will simply be added to the pile of already-existing implied links, and would be construed as strengthening the connection (adding as it were, another thread to a rope). But like many of the other posited "links", there is no evidence whatsoever that such an individual is actually part of any conspiracy. It is instead assumed that he had to have been; that is to say, the theory itself supplies the proof needed for the "evidence" to support the theory. That is classic circular reasoning.

• Frogleg
    Frogleg

Quite interesting. This information carries much more than is just written. As far as "news" or "insight", this really generates a big yawn. Take the Washington Post and use whatever scandal de jour is on the front page, and simply substitute names. Currently, we have the "Scooter" Libby charade going on, but you could just as easily use Tricky Dicky, LBJ, or pretty much any administration of human endeavor to generate the silliness and absurdities that this article brings out. For those who were never part of the Borg, this whole episode must seem rather bland and petty, because at its core is just people. Thats it, people being people.

But for those of us who gave their lives to a belief, to a way, to a diety, this is a breath taker. These people claim to be directly led by God, and all that they do, and say, and think are for our benefit, and other than an appraent limitless supply of hubris, these guys and their "organization" are ever proven to be no more than a pack of Cub Scouts in grown-ups bodies. If God exists, I hope He is suitably embarrassed by his representatives, and when He finally gets pissed off enough to kick this planet out of His universe, the place where foot will meet Earth will be Brooklyn.

• sf
    sf

Hey Doll,

Ah, such an insightful thread to find when I finally get a chance to log in today. How nice.

So tell me, what did the restructuring of the GB a few years back have in relation to all of this?

Also, what would you consider to be an actual "Prominent Bethelite" given this insight you provide above?

sKally

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

Dear Barbara,

I guess I can speak for (just about) everyone on this forum in thanking you for your wonderful insight and experiences within the Watchtower walls. ALL of your posts and pieces are so interesting and presented so well.

For those of us that use these golden nuggets of truth to bring them to the "uninformed ones" all over the internet (and in private email), I commend you for your time and effort and thank you for the gems of knowledge we can use for this "ministry" of exposing the WTS for what it is....or isn't as the case proves.

Thank you so much.

respectful hugs,

Annie

• willyloman
    willyloman

So THIS is why the internet was invented!

• sf
    sf

Yes willy...

THE NATIONS SHALL KNOW, IN ALL THE INHABITED EARTH, THAT THE WATCHTOWER BOOK PUBLISHING EMPIRE, DISGUISED AS A LOVING RELIGION, IS "A SHAM AND A FRAUD AND A DAMNED OUTRAGE, FROM START TO FINISH"!!!

Praise JAW{S}!!!

sKally, not OF the Nephi Klass...LOLOLOLOL!!!

• AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo

Hey SKally, in answer to your question--"So tell me, what did the restructuring of the GB a few years back have in relation to all of this?"--I wasn't at Bethel then and cut off my sources by leaving the org. by 1998, so have no idea. And my guess plus $2.50 will get you on the NYC Subway. (Just how much does it cost to ride the subway now, anyway?)

Also, SKally, you asked, 'What would you consider to be an actual "Prominent Bethelite" given this insight you provide above?'--I don't quite understand the question. I don't know WHO a "Prominent Bethelite" is, if that's what you're asking.

Barbara

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit