The “Given Ones,” Jehovah’s Provision? by Barbara Anderson

by Dogpatch 47 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Neo
    Neo

See my next post.

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

Just saw this thread for the first time. Definitely interesting info, but I wanted to clarify one point:

AndersonsInfo wrote:
    In time, each man came to believe he was called to become part of the “anointed remnant.” And that calling could make him available to become a member of the Governing Body.
    Hence, the “Given Ones” arrangement could prove to be a ‘proving ground’ for potential new Governing Body members.
    Narkissos wrote:
    This too is very interesting (and new to me)... opportunistic "anointment"?

I don't know about the others, but Morris has been partaking for over 20 years.

• bebu
    bebu

I am unfortunately having a hard time finding what is so meaty here, as a non-JW. That is, it's interesting up to a point; I am failing to understand why all these details (still very well-written, btw), get everyone so intrigued. Most of the names here mean nothing to me at all.

Is there anyone who deliberately lied in this article? All I see is that people passed thru a concept without looking carefully... I'm trying to figure out how examples of deception and hoodwinking are hidden in this article, as that is the gist of the hint I get from Barb.

bebu

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

Bebu... I think the missing piece is the vision that most JWs have of Bethel as some sort of spiritual sanctuary... of leaders who care for nothing but Bible truth, and spend their time scrutinizing the scriptures and thinking of nothing else.

The reality is a lot more prosaic. Bethel is filled with a bunch of careerists who compete over a very limited set of promotions.

To a non-Witness, there's nothing shocking there; it's just human nature. But to all the Witnesses who were agog over this new piece of scriptural interpretation (and believe me, they were), it would be very disappointing to realize that their leaders cared more about who got a new job than about the fulfillment of Biblical foreshadowings.

• Neo
    Neo

Barbara is trying to show that the principle behind the Nethinim embarrassment applies to Watchtower procedure in general. They don't take seriously what they themselves publish.

In the Big News thread, she said:

That last point with the cited scripture [“the person faithful in what is least is faithful also in much and a person unrighteous in what is least is unrighteous also in much.” (Luke 16:10)] matters very much when we carefully read the material that will be coming our way in a few days. Remember, if the Watchtower lied to us in this silly non-essential "Given Ones" analogy, we should have suspected that they would lie in very important matters too. They have proved to be unrighteous in what is least and unrighteous also in much."

Neo

• bebu
    bebu

Thanks so much, Euphemisim (and Neo). I think I get it now!

bebu

• sf
    sf

In light....of Marys thread going on, I thought it timely to bump this thread for the newer ones.

sKally

• wallsofjericho
    wallsofjericho

bringing this up for discussion again

where does the WTS stand with the Nethinim today in 2014?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit