Benefits of being a Dub as a child

by pratt1 33 Replies latest jw experiences

• Joel Wideman
    Joel Wideman

As I've said before, my only friend was not a JW. And it wasn't for lack of kids my age at the KH.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

every rose has it's thorn:

I remember going into a new neighhood or a new school and knowing that once I met the dub kids there, I would automatically have friends and I would not be alone.

and then you grow up and grow a brain and they shun you, and you realize that you should have been making real friends all those years, because now you are more alone than you ever could have been as a child.

...and every cowboy sings his sad sad song.

the only benefit that i can think of is that being a dub stopped me from doing drugs in highschool. this was a blessing from jehovah as i could upkeep my 55% average. boo-yah!

TS

• Carmel
    Carmel

Rotarians, Kiwanians, and hundreds of other organizations feel the same "brotherhood" amongst theselves. Even college alums are prone to be more open and helpful to their college buds than total strangers. "Dubs" have never understood the social dynamic and by their isolation build the walls that define themselves then think they have something noone else has.. sad!

carmel

• Darth Yhwh
    Darth Yhwh

Benifits of being raised as a JW? Well, I suppose that I could say that my parents were overprotective and that sheltered me from a lot of bad things that I could have gotten wrapped up in.

But as far as finding friends is concerned....I was the only JW in the entire school system. I had zero support untill about my Junior year. That's when I went to a vocational school (also because the WBTS recomments learning skilled trades rather than persuing additional education) and there were several school districts merging into one facility. There were many more JW around there. It was certainly a unique situation, that for sure. It was immediate acceptance at first but didnt take long for cliques to form and for some to try to dig up dirt on others.

• Poztate
    Poztate
    the only benefit that i can think of is that being a dub stopped me from doing drugs in highschool. this was a blessing from jehovah as i could upkeep my 55% average. boo-yah!

TS

WOW...You went to highschool as a dub and had a 55%.I had the benefit of being told not to worry about higher education because the "wicked old system of things"™ only had a few more weeks or months to last. I left high school and took a job at a gas station to wait out the last "few months" As I recall that was late 1960"s...still waiting... The great benefit for me...DON'T EVER TRUST THEIR BULLSHIT !!

• theinfamousone
    theinfamousone

to be honest, it made me mroe intelligent, i now have a need to prove things, ii dont just believe whati hear anymore... also, it made me stronger... the things i dealt with made me stronger.. u know?

the infamous one

• rebel8
    rebel8
    my dub peers made me feel welcome and accepted me into the circle immediately

My experience was the opposite. The "cool JWs" snubbed me and the "uncool JWs" didn't want us to acknowledge each other in public so the regular school kids wouldn't realize we knew each other from the KH. The one friend of mine who has consistently been nice to me for the last 32 years was never a JW. She is a gem.

• skinnyboy
    skinnyboy

didn't think there were any to be honest.

I found the majority of the Dub kids freaks, and the cool ones, were always in another hall, so i was always feeling like the outsider, but i used to go along with the "Rod and Todd's" because my parents at least brought me up to be nice, but I kinda thought most of them were emotional woe-sponges and full of guilt and the biggest tattle tails i have ever met, i felt like satans spawn next to them because i chose to do what i wanted regardless of the consequences, what they didn't know, didn't hurt them kind of philosophy! (chuckles with impish glee, come and play....)

My biggest regret was never knowing what if!

• in a new york bethel minute
    in a new york bethel minute

i think there are many benefits to being raised a jw... but that's only because i had a pretty good experience in the faith, for the most part. one of the best things though, is that since i was raised a jw and made a fairly successful fade, i know what cult/elitest beliefs can do to a person and i am able to look from the inside out and now from the outside in.

crwth player

dave, what is that???

bethel

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Benefits?

learning to read well and to speak from a platform with a measure of confidence., and even to call uninvited at someones home

developing an interest in books, history, the natural world and generally a thirst for knowledge.

Drawbacks

Being made to feel an outsider at school , and being excluded from R.E and Assembly

Being denied the fun that other kids had at holidays .

wasting all those Saturday & Sunday mornings on the ministry

Not having the chance to know girls as a teenager.

Simply believing that all that stuff was actually true when it wasn't.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit