Benefits of being a Dub as a child

by pratt1 33 Replies latest jw experiences

• pratt1
    pratt1

I can't think of many benefits of growing up a a Dub but I do remember that I always viewed the other dub kids as brorthers and sisters and they became my support system amongst the "worldly people".

I remember going into a new neighhood or a new school and knowing that once I met the dub kids there, I would automatically have friends and I would not be alone.

This was especially comforting to me because I was an only child, and many times I entered into a new school not knowing anyone and sometimes being the only black kid in the class, my dub peers made me feel welcome and accepted me into the circle immediately.

For many years I feel special to be part of this worldwide brotherhood, and I am sure it is the reason why now I am inafriad of changes and/or new surroundings.

Did you have similar experiences?

• forsharry
    forsharry

Wow...I wish I had such a nice experience with the witness children growing up. Sadly for me it was the exact opposite. Most of the children in my congregation were elders' children and could do no wrong. They were very clique-ish and exclusive and because I didn't fit into their mindset of a 'cool' dub kid, I was only rudimentarily tolerated.

I'm not sure why that was, but I did know that come summertime they all wanted to be my friend (I was the only kid that had an inground pool in the congregation, hence 'friends' out the wazoo.) So basically it was conditional. It was a rather lonely existence to tell you the truth. Sad to say we lived in a neighborhood that had a lot of children that were my age but I was forbidden to play with them.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

When I was a teenager JW, I traveled a bit. The first thing I would do is find the brothers. We always hooked up, always had a good time. That was actually pretty cool.

Trouble is, I have no way of knowing if I couldn't have done the same thing as a Catholic, a clubber, or a crwth player. I always assumed it was because I was in the "right" club, but it may have just been because I was in "a" club.

Anybody have similar experiences of "instant friends" from being in some other club?

Dave

• forsharry
    forsharry

Now insta-friends I do have experiences with. :)

I belong to DNBK - a japanese martial arts society. I made friends pretty fast in that group, but again, clique-ish. Are you Aikidio - you're a map flopper...want nothing to do with you. You take karatedo? Alright...ground pounder, I'll be your friend. Just kidding, but we joke about that a lot with there being divisions in training.

On a more serious note, where ever we go to train or visit, we are met by people of the organization and there is a form of kinship.

• undercover
    undercover

I didn't fit in very well with the JW kids any more than the worldly kids. My parents did such a job of demonizing everything that even other JW kids weren't good enough.

Every new school I went to, I learned to fade into the background and be self sufficient all over again. I think that's why to this day, I am perfectly happy to do things by myself and not feel like I have to be part of something. I have fun with different people, don't get me wrong, but if there isn't a party or something going on, I'm perfectly happy to stay home, watch a move, read a book or listen to music. My dream vacation is to take a year and ride across country and back on my motorcycle and see all the sights. Just me, no one else. A year of solitude, expect when I want to join in the fun at a bar or festival or something. Am I whacked or what?

• clear2c
    clear2c

Being around people that

TRY

to be GOOD no they aren't perfect but most of them try to be good. I learnt alot about honesty and did improve my reading skills as a child from actively reading the bible. (even tho most everyone else understands it better) than me. Other things include

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

I compare the feeling of being 'special' and part of a 'worldwide brotherhood' to being in a club.... you're surrounded by people who feel the same way about you on something and now you're all together. The feeling gets very strong at big conventions and things doesn't it? But they're all just people who have no other social life, no other friends, and nothing else to plan their lives around. Try this; go to a concert of an old band you've always loved.... you'll get that same feeling of belonging.

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

I wish I could say that I had intant friends because they were witnesses as I was growing up.

Unfortunately however my father was 'unbelieving' so my mother, siblings and I were habitually excluded by the congregation when it came to forming frienships or social activities. And trust me damn well tried too.

• enderby
    enderby

i would say there are a couple of good things i got from being raised a dub: 1) i was taught that material posessions and social status are vain pursuits and are inherently empty; 2) be skeptical about science and social trends. (that is, at an early age i was trained not to be afraid to hold beliefs which are outside of the mainstream.) although, this was unfortunetly coupled with the inculcation that i should swallow whole everything from the Botchtower.

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

I was an only dub child. My parents were older...and I never got away with anything, There were not many kids in my congregation. Most wanted to be my friend because my dad was a "made man" as my bf calls him. The parents of the kids in the congregation wanted their kids to be friends with me, thinking it would advance their status in the cong. They didn't know my dad...he saw through it every time. The exception to this was my best friend...we met when we were 6 years old. We are best friends today...our friendship survived her leaving the borg about 10 years before I did... Just had dinner tonight with her and her husband.

I always felt different... I was the only jw in my school until I was a junior in high school...it was a lonely life. I have finally gotten to know some of my former classmates after our high school reunion last year. I won't tell you how many years It's nice to get to know them and forge friendships on my own terms.

Coffee

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit