Bethelite Attorney-In-Training Receives Award

by West70 38 Replies latest social current

• West70
    West70

General Studies Student Receives Women's Forum Education Award

School of General Studies student Kathleen Apltauer has received the 2005 Women's Forum Educational Award. The award is presented annually to New York City women in recognition of the extraordinary and heroic efforts they have made in order to overcome adversity in their lives.

A political science major, Apltauer returned to school to pursue her undergraduate degree after a 20-year break in her education. She dedicates her personal time to mentoring young women who have little adult guidance and educating people about women's issues, domestic violence, and HIV/AIDS prevention. Apltauer is an ordained minister in the Jehovah's Witness faith and works at the Watch Tower Organization in Brooklyn, New York.

Since 1987 the Education Fund of the Women's Forum has given annual awards to encourage mature women of need to fulfill their potential through the pursuit of an undergraduate college education and to enhance their capacities to provide productive and supportive service to their communities.

Apltauer is the third Columbia University student to be recognized by the Women's Forum, Inc. Other School of General Studies recipients include recent Elena Comendador, GS '05, and current student Marina Udovcic, both of whom received the award in 2004.

http://www.columbia.edu/cu/news/05/10/gs_women.html

I am assuming that Apltauer is a Bethelite from what the article states; and if so, I am further assuming that she is being sent to Columbia by the WBTS, so she can enter Law School once she graduates. I further wonder if she counts her "volunteer activities" as field service hours?

• blondie
    blondie

I wonder if she got her law degree before or after going to Bethel?

• Jourles
    Jourles

PoliSci degree?? She must have started that major prior to becoming a witness. There is no way the WTS would sponsor her in getting a PoliSci degree. Although I could be wrong. They might be using her to engage in Theocratic Warfare with the govt's.

• sf
    sf

"Kathleen APLTAUER" < [email protected]

Well congrats are in order, don't you think?

A political science major, Apltauer returned to school to pursue her undergraduate degree after a 20-year break in her education. She dedicates her personal time to mentoring young women who have little adult guidance and educating people about women's issues, domestic violence, and HIV/AIDS prevention

Ha!! Am I the only one who is laughing here?

sKally

• VM44
    VM44

This summer's convention repeatedly warned against pursuing higher education.

And this person is in good standing at Bethel, AND going to the university?

There is an inconsistency here!

How can this be?

--VM44

• sf
    sf

http://www.wfnewyork.org/recipients.cfm

2005 Educational Award Recipient
    KATHLEEN APLTAUER

KATHLEEN APLTAUER ( COLUMBIA UNIVERSITY ) is a woman who has used her life in community service, and plans to expand that service by pursuing education. Her future will look similar to her past and present, as she continues to focus on women's rights, especially domestic violence and HIV/AIDS, as related to development and poverty. Her immediate goal is an undergraduate degree; long range plans include a law degree, and Kathleen demonstrates both determination and passion in pursuing these goals. As a woman who grew up with no genuine role models, Kathleen knows all too well about isolation and self esteem issues, thus, she also gives of her time to outreach work mentoring young women who have very little adult support and guidance in their lives.

"The look in their eyes when they realize that they are both valuable and valued is more than worth all my time, tears and worry .”

• VM44
    VM44

and in particular, the convention drama specifically warned against pursuing University education! --VM44

• jgnat
    jgnat

OK, wedding ring. Maybe she fell in love and married a Bethelite. She does sound like a neat lady.

• Jourles
    Jourles
    OK, wedding ring.

Only if she took her picture in the mirror....

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

Yeah back in the 80s I was strongly discouraged, surprised I wasn't marked but may as well have been, when I went to college just to get a bacheolor's degree and those working at bethel dont get any flack for pursuing a graduate degree or more?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit