Christianity, Satan & Halloween

by Nellie 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Nellie
    Nellie

Forget about being a witness - I never, ever understood how mainstream Christian people could justify participating in a celebration that is so overtly satanic.

While I recognize the ability to dress up in non-satanic costumes, the participation aspect bothers me. Of course, now, my kids want to trick or treat, but I just can't bring myself to say "yes." I'm wondering how you feel about this.

• Legolas
    Legolas

Well of course I loved it as a kid, now I don't really care about it, I have treats to give out for tonight, I love christmas!

It's all good pagen fun!!!!

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I don't have kids so I never really gave it any thought. But I'm not giving out any treats to the kids tonight. To hell with them!!! I'm gonna eat all the treats myself!

W

• daystar
    daystar

Eh, not so overtly satanic. Traditionally, the dressing up as spirits, etc. was to scare aware the real spooks, not to invite them in.

You might try doing some more secular research into the holiday rather than relying only on the theists.

• Balsam
    Balsam

Nellie,

I strongly recommend a book called "The Orgins of Satan" by Elaine Pagels it is valueable in helping you looke at the idea of Satan from its true sources.

Editorial Reviews Amazon.com
    . . . ground-breaking . . . Many times in the course of reading her explications I found myself saying, "Of course, why hasn't someone said this before?" By showing how the sectarian demonization of the "intimate enemies"--Jews and heretics--shaped early Christianity, the book helps us to understand the power of irrational forces that still need to be confronted in contemporary society. -- S. David Sperling, professor of Bible, Hebrew Union College

From Library Journal
    Pagels, whose Gnostic Gospels (LJ 1/15/79) was a best seller and a major award winner, here examines the New Testament tendency to associate the Devil with Jews resistant to the teachings of Christianity.
    Copyright 1995 Reed Business Information, Inc.--

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

My kids never think about satan when it comes to halloween...it's all about dressing up and getting candy

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

This weekend, I watched a really good special on the History of Halloween on the History Channel.

I really feel like it's perfectly fine for anyone to participate in it. http://www.historychannel.com/exhibits/halloween/

• Sirona
    Sirona

Please research what the origins of halloween are! Try here http://www.neopagan.net/Halloween-Origins.html as a starter.

Then research what "satanism" really is. http://www.religioustolerance.org/satanis2.htm

Then consider that if you associate "pagan" with "satan" then your reasoning is flawed.

You use a pagan calendar, you have a pagan wedding, you have a pagan christmas (easter, etc.) whether they're christianised or not. (incidentally, I don't mind christians having these holidays, rather I'd just appreciate some education on the matter).

Sirona

• jstalin
    jstalin

Would god condemn you for doing something, such as participating in Halloween, when you have no evil intent in your mind or heart?

• Check_Your_Premises
    Check_Your_Premises

Would god condemn you for doing something, such as participating in Halloween, when you have no evil intent in your mind or heart?

Exactly. Sin is not a fleshly act. It originates from within, in a decision to not love God or to not love your fellow man. If you are doing something that in no way originates with a desire to worship something besides God, then you are not practicing idolatry.

It is about candy.

And we are not subject to some list of spiritual regulations. To subject ourselves to such a list, now that would be idolatry!

CYP

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit