586 607 Jerusalem destroyed.

by PoppyR 49 Replies latest watchtower bible

• PoppyR
    PoppyR

Hi guys, new! And I'm sure this has been covered, but I find the site has no search for me to look, so sorry if you've discussed it to death. For the first time last night I came across information about 586 being the ACTUAL year Jerusalem was destroyed. Not 607. Which obviously whips away the witness doctrine in one swoop. can anyone give me more information? Why did the witnesses think it was 607. Is there any back up for this. Are there ANY secular sources that say it was. Are there reliable sources that say it wasn't?

questions, so many questions!

• jula71
  • greendawn
    greendawn

This is a frequent and hotly debated topic on this forum because it can undo the JW foundations hence the ferocity with which they defend it even though both secular and biblical history do not uphold the jw position and the JWs are the only people in the world that hold on to the 607BC date.

Most poignantly the jws in order to sustain their wrong chronology, at one stage in their arguments they consider Cyrus to be the king of Babylon whereas he was the king of Persia that conquered Babylon.

• theinfamousone
    theinfamousone

BAH, just like the rest of J-Dub thinking, its all BS! ha ha, easy as that when you think of it right?

the infamous one

• PoppyR
    PoppyR

Fistly sorry to be green, but what is DUB? I just went back and looked extensively through the WT CD rom, and what I found shakes me a little that basically I need to accept 607 is the year, because if it wasn't bible chronology wouldn't be correct. Because we need to count 70 years otherwise the prophecies about the gentile times would not add up. So the article (which was 1972. nothing since) says that it is a matter of faith. Whoooooooaahhh there horsie. But I will go and check up the reference you gave me thank you. I've done more scriptural research and study this past 24 hours than I've done in years...lol.

• vitty
    vitty

Poppy

Id like to read that 1972ref. about it being faith can you give the whole ref ? thanks

• vitty
    vitty

Poppy

Id like to read that 1972ref. about it being faith can you give the whole ref ? thanks

• PoppyR
    PoppyR

On the ref... it's 1972 Awake (not even considered fit for the WT) and it's 5/8 and pages 27/28 It has a LOT of archealogical refs, but when you actually read it properly, they are not substantiated. Here are a couple of quotes...

"SECULAR historians usually give the year 586 B.C.E. as the correct date for the desolation of Jerusalem. Why, then, do Jehovah’s Christian witnesses speak of this event as occurring in 607 B.C.E.? It is because of confidence in what the Bible says about the duration of Jerusalem’s lying desolate"

"Various attempts to harmonize the date 586 B.C.E. with what the Bible says are therefore unsatisfactory. None of such attempts fit the Bible’s testimony that Jerusalem and Judah lay desolate for seventy years"

Opposed to Ptolemy’s Canon and "VAT 4956" stands the unanimous testimony of Jeremiah, Zechariah, Daniel and the writer of 2 Chronicles, that Judah and Jerusalem lay desolate for seventy years. Thousands of ancient manuscripts of these writings contain the identical testimony. So, because of the problems inherent in Ptolemy’s Canon and "VAT 4956," it takes more faith to accept them than it does to accept the Bible’s testimony, which would place the desolation of Jerusalem by the Babylonians in 607 B.C.E.

Underlining mine.

From what I understand of this, it means that 607 must be correct otherwise it throws out the whole of the rest of the prophecy... derrrr.

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

Basically, they say 607 because if it's not 607 it screws up their chronology, not because there are any facts that actually support 607. It's circular reasoning: "Our doctrine requires it to be 607 to work out, and we know our doctrine is true, so it must be 607."

Everyone else on the planet says it was 586/7. Sorry I don't have any resources for you. Right now there are a few people who have just finished up mega research on this topic, so hopefully they'll contact you via PM or post on this thread.

SNG

• googlemagoogle

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit