Im new

by g_cuddles 47 Replies latest jw friends

• jgnat
    jgnat

g_cuddles, I never joined the JW's, but the disturbing things that kept me from joining include the shunning, the blood policy, and avoiding family gatherings on holidays.

• Darth Yhwh
    Darth Yhwh

Im an active JW

There are others here who are also active JWs. Just as Richie Rich said:

Well, I still go to the hall, and I carry the mikes, so you KNOW I'm good association!!
    To reiterate JamesThomas's post there are a lot of good people who post here. Not all are JW's but still good people.

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

Hello g_cuddles,

You asked what made me be "against the truth." To put it simply, I learned that it was not the truth. When I was very young, and a true believer, it was difficult for me to see this, because Witnesses try to control your access to information. For example, you spend a lot of time reading WT publications, but you are heavily discouraged from spending much time reading non-WT publications, especially if they relate to science or religion. If they are critical of the WT, you are forbidden to read them.

And so if someone faithfully obeys these rules, it is unlikely that they will learn anything that challenges their faith. However, I began to see problems in the Witnesses' own publications. Extremely weak logic, absolutist viewpoints, and even deliberate misquotes to support their views. I gradually began to feel that the WTS was not being very honest. And when I started to do real research - not just JW research, but real research, where you look at many sources - I found that they had undeniably been extremely dishonest, and that they continue to do so.

For me, my biggest issues were the inspiration of the Bible and evolution. I didn't really care about doctrinal issues, because if the Bible is not what they make it out to be, then it doesn't particularly matter if the memorial should be once a year or once a week. But everyone has different issues that concern them, so I would recommend picking a subject that interests you and starting a thread about it, and doing some real research at the public library.

Hope that helps!

SNG

• Darth Yhwh
    Darth Yhwh

you know what seattle, your such a nice guy.

• TheListener
    TheListener

Cuddles,

When I was a strong witness I was very strong. Elder, bethelite, pioneer, etc. I come from a long line of witnesses. I was raised well and lovingly by strong healthy witness parents with plenty of loving witness family around me.

I didn't even know I should doubt anything until a few years ago. Once I thought I might have some doubts or issues I strived as hard as I could to reassure myself that what I KNEW to be the truth was in fact the truth.

The more I studied and studied and studied the more I realized how truly little I did know.

I didn't really know the history of the organization I preached for others to join, I didn't really understand what the scriptures said about those who leave the faith or commit errors (and I've disfellowshipped many many people ). I didn't realize that the date of 1914 was so tenuous and based on the incorrect date of 607 for Jerusalem's destruction and I didn't know that my stance on blood wasn't as scripturally based as I thought it was.

These are big big big big things to wrestle with. Especially while handling congregtional responsibilities and taking care of immediate and extended family. I had the help of some close friends who were helpful without being mocking or judgemental. I had the help of reading this board and verifying what I saw because at first none of it made sense to me.

I wish you well on your journey, wherever it make take you.

• rebel8
    rebel8

I was allowed to come close to death countless times in obedience to a blood policy that has now been changed. If Jehovah doesn't care about blood fractions now, why did He care about it so much a few decades ago? My main issue with the WT is the "new light" doctrine. It doesn't fit with the concept of an org that is led directly by an infallible God.

www.jwinfo.50megs.com

I became a JW in 1975 as a kid. The org later kept saying they "never said the end would come near 1975" yet I was personally there when they did say it and had magazines to prove it.

Yrs after being totally inactive, I found out some horrifying things about the org. I observed the child abuse scandal happening to a patient of mine and was present for conversations with her father/elder/rapist and those who were covering up the abuse. I found out the WT joined the UN all while criticizing the Catholic church for doing the same exact thing and DFing/allowing JWs to die for their "political neutrality" rule. I found out they purchased stock in a military manufacturing company and received proceeds from a trust fund with tobacco stock--again, while DFing JWs who did the same thing. It is sickening. BTW, you can find links to proof about these things at the above web site. Verify it out for yourself--contact the UN and other orgs yourself to ensure what I'm saying is true.

• jo7
    jo7

I am new too, and I have never been a jw. I am not against them I just haven't heard many good things about the ones I have met. Whenever I am introduced to a new jw it usually turns out that they're just as '" worldly" as me or anyone else.

• Hecklerboy
    Hecklerboy

Hey there, welcome to the board.

I was raised a witness too but left when I was 28. I've never been DF or DA but I no longer have anything to do with the witnesses.

I guess my biggest beef with the WTBS is the "conditional" love they show. Yes I said conditional not unconditional. You will get to see this in action very soon. Since your sister is Disasociating herself her once close and life-long freind will treat her like she's dead. No one will speak to her or even acknowledge her. All because she changed her mind on what she believes. You said it's starting to cause allot of pain in you family now. In my opinion, no religion should tell you what family member you can associate with. The family bond should be the strongest thing in your life. Any religion that comes between that is just evil. Jesus never shunned anyone and neither should his followers.

Other things include the hypocrisy on many different matters. One being the UN scandal. Why is it OK for the WTBS to join the UN as a Non-Govermental Organization so they can use the library (their excuse) but I can't join the YMCA to use the pool. And why did the brother in Malawi have to die because the WTBS wouldn't let them have a political card but the brother in Mexico were allowed to bribe officials to obtain card the showed they served in the military?

There are many other things that I don't like about the Wathtower Society but I won't go into them now. I just hope you stick around and learn as much as possible if only for your sister's sake. Maybe you will get some insight on what she is going through.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit