I'm not buying it! That people left the Witnesses and became Christians.

by free2beme 75 Replies latest jw friends

• rebel8
    rebel8

You are right of course.

All I can tell you is my personal experience. I did it. I was RC pre-dub and the church is still a major part of the few positive childhood memories I have. Yet I am atheist. Why did I re-join?

1. I enjoy the cultural and traditional aspects. Mass is relaxing--it's a meditation time for me. I like Easter time. I like to daydream, "Wouldn't it be so awesome if this fairy tale was true? Just imagine!" I feel a childlike sense of wonder.

Profane (secular), routine, daily life, the conduct of instrumental activities at work and carrying out household chores, tend to weaken shared commitments to shared beliefs and social bonds, and enhance centrifugal individualism. For societies to survive [these] centrifugal, individualistic tendencies, they must continuously "recreate" themselves, by shoring up commitments to one shared ("common") set of beliefs and practices.

(b) Rituals provide one major mechanism for the recreation of society, one in which the members of a society worship shared objects and in which they share experiences that help form and sustain deep emotional bonds among the members.

(c) The specifics of the rituals, and the objects that are being worshiped or celebrated in these rituals, be they colored stones or woodcuts or practically anything else, have no intrinsic value or meaning. It is the society that imbues these objects with significance, and, thus endowed, they become the cornerstones of the integrative rituals built around them.

From this viewpoint, religious services during weekends serve to reinforce the commitments that have been diluted during weekdays. Holidays, in this context, are seen as supra-weekends, as especially strong boosters of commitments and bonds. [source]

2. It has helped me in my career and social relationships. (Should it? Of course not. But it does. Just ask most of our presidents.)

3. I was made to renounce my RCism before the dubs dunked me. I was rude to the church over it, and I was wrong. Amends were owed. It was a good exercise for me to heal. I completed RCIA professing to be an atheist who believed in birth control and was having premarital sex. They accepted this with no problem.

4. I felt, while the RCs have a reprehensible history, it was somewhat mitigated by the fact that it was not a dangerous mind control cult nor did they claim to be the only path to salvation (so said a previous pope). It was also in the remote past. The local churches here were not involved in the molestation scandal and priests were openly critical of the church at weekly Mass for years. Does this excuse everything? Of course not.

5. More on #1 and #3. I missed out on every normal rite of passage a child goes through in my locale. I felt terribly uncomfortable at funerals, weddings, confirmations, etc. that I was invited to attend in the church. It was embarrassing to not know how to do the rituals. I decided to get past the fear and find a way to fit in a little more.

6. I decided to give religion a chance. I wanted to believe there is a floaty sunny place where all good people fly around playing harps and never die. I figured I'd approach it with my open mind, like any good skeptic. Ultimately I was not able to form a belief due to total lack of evidence, but it's not for being pig headed, miffed, or anything like that. It's only an evidence issue. The only way I can say that today is because I did what I did.

• Violia
    Violia

I think a lot of folks go to church for the community. As long as the church is not overbearing and radical, why not? It is not for everyone, but I do miss the community.

I have been checking out this one church on line and they seem very involved with the community and help feed the poor. I like that- religion should do something , help the poor, the fatherless child, the widows. If it does not what good is it? I think we might get up the nerve to attend a service soon. In this area you have to beware that many of the Pentecostal churches call themselves nondenominational. It is a trick. They make jws look sane, if that is possible.

I do not fear walking into a Church now b/c I know I can walk out . I am not even sure what I believe- I was very attracted to new agey religions for quite a while but not so much now. I am finding that all the major religions have something to offer and I seem to be picking and choosing what I like and leaving the rest. Not sure if that is kosher, but it will do for now.

the wts has done a number on our heads and making our own decisions can be scary but it is so liberating.

• White Dove
    White Dove

I'm Wiccan but find Catholicism draws me, too.

I can pick and choose how to use it because that is my right as a human being.

I can do whatever I want that makes me feel whole and satisfied in my soul.

So, I sort of call myself a Catholic witch, like my childhood friend calls herself.

Mass is very relaxing and meditative.

• tec
    tec

I can't believe I just read Jeff saying this:

I did not leave because I thought someone else had it right - except one - the Christ.

Yeah, I know it was from 6 years ago, but some of the conversations we've had... I wasn't e x pecting that. Peace, Tammy
  • transhuman68
    transhuman68

Aren’t you worried that it could be contagious, tec?

• tec
    tec

*sigh*

Guess I can't kiss him now...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit