I'm not buying it! That people left the Witnesses and became Christians.

by free2beme 75 Replies latest jw friends

• RevFrank
    RevFrank

Hi Free2beme.......read your comments on this thread. You know..you're right. After leaving I thought and felt the same. I mean I was never a full baptized jw, but after being among them from 1973 to 1996, it is hard to believe any christian church is right. But then again, I thought, does it have to be right all the time? Better yet, who has the truth? No man or woman has the truth, but Christ does. Example......

"Jesus said to them, 'I am the WAY, the TRUTH, and the LIFE. No one comes to the Father except through Me."(John 14:6) Think about it. The Watchtower says that the only way to the Father,Jehovah, is through the watchtower. Yet Jesus said it's through Him. So who has the TRUTH? Jesus said it was in Him. Jesus said Life was in Him. Watchtower says it's through the watchtower.

Ever wonder why when you begin studying with the jehovah witnesses they have a detail study of christianism? Remember the, "Truth Book?" On chapter 2, it's called, "Why Is It Wise To Examine Your Religion?"

It's a word for word detailed study of deliberate systemically destruction of many religions. That includes all of christianity. It puts one in a very vulnerable poisition. Then they read a few scriptures to make you feel safe.

Then they point out a few things that may sound kind of contradictory. Then they read you more info on the life of a jehovah witness and how the watchtower helps you out with understandings on how to read the scriptures. And once they have you agreeing with the watchtower, the watchtower has you hooked. Yet they never really have you study why of the watchtower, but have you study how you become a jehovah witness and what the watchtower has to say. Later on I always wondered why they have you study more on the watchtower then of Jesus.

Then you leave the watchtower after years of study of the watchtower and jehovah. And in your mind it was pounded that if you leave the watchtower you leave jehovah...but do you really? Watchtower states that the only way you can understand jehovah is to stay with the watchtower. Yet you really never intend to leave jehovah, but your desire is to leave the watchtower.

All through the new Testament..or the Greek Scriptures it keeps telling you to keep the faith no matter what. Back then they had churches name after towns..like the Corinth church..which we do read Corinthians. We know where that church was. Corinth was a town where a group of christians were. No religion, just name. It was where a group of people who had the same faith.

The word,'religion,' means an institution where one has a belief in a high power. Yet ,"faith," means to rely on someone or something. Jesus said to have faith in Him.

Christianity,....a monotheistic system of beliefs and practices based on the Old Testament and the teachings of Jesus as embodied in the New Testament and emphasizing the role of Jesus as savior. So why do we need to have faith in an institution when Jesus asked us to have faith in Him? Christians, which Paul dubbed us as following Christ not some religion.

No religious church is perfect, yet we strive to be like Christ..a follow Jesus...christians. To tell the world we are christians. Just one more thought on the word, christian.......

As of some time in the 1990s Mormons began to call themselves christians. And you know why? The same reason the jehovah witnesses call themselves christians, to let the world know they are christians. Who's right? At the same time we are called americans....but then again there are Italian/americans, Black/ americans, Irish/americans, so forth and so on. "It can get quite confusing, but Jehovah and the Christ knows for sure. Isn't it true that Jehovah should know?

PEACE

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

i didn't leave the WTS because they were a high control group or a cult. i left them because they were xians, and xianity is a total farce.

So I would be no different if I was a Witness or a Christian, both rely on ignoring a great deal of facts.

nicely said free2bme!

TS

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Rev - when did the LDS do a non christian cr*p on your christian front lawn? Sheesh.

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

dezpbem:

Speaking only for myself, a Christian mystic is one who personally experiences the presence of God, through Christ and the Holy Spirit, within oneself and within all things. This can be expressed and enhanced through meditation, prayer, contemplation, fasting, and interacting in beneficial ways with others.

~Merry

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral
    Faith is blind though, right?

I wouldn't say so; rather that "Faith is not obsessed with trying to see in the dark." That doesn't mean you hve to close your eyes against the light, though.

I found out from a Catholic that the church teaches "the primacy of conscience." This means two things: 1) when you are convinced the church is wrong about something, you have a right to resist. 2) More than that, you have a duty to resist.

However, she didn't learn about this until college.

Every church includes benevolent leaders, dictators, and loyal opposition. A church that has any wisdom at all will not routinely expel the loyal opposition.

GentlyFeral

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I think I'll worship Benny Hill. He makes me laugh.

• Jamelle
    Jamelle

It took me a long time after leaving the JWs to even want to want to consider thinking about flirting with religion again. After a few years, though, I met my now husband and started attended his church with him.

It's a Christian church but not any specific type - it's geared towards young people, but they have a BIG following locally. Its probably as far away from a Kingdom Hall as I could get in atmosphere. I still had a hard time going.

I've come to a point where I don't blame God for the incorrect teachings and actions of the JWs. I wonder if my life worked out the way it did because somebody up there was looking out for me. I mean - I could still be stuck in that zombie like existance!

Other days I doubt any "organized" religon. I stay alert, watch for red flags and question everything. I'm also very drawn to nature as proof of the existance of a Creator or at least a guiding hand...I try to never judge another's faith or lack thereof...and I've been getting along just fine.

What I'll do when we have kids is another story...not quite sure what I'll tell them yet.

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

MerryMag

Speaking only for myself, a Christian mystic is one who personally experiences the presence of God, through Christ and the Holy Spirit, within oneself and within all things. This can be expressed and enhanced through meditation, prayer, contemplation, fasting, and interacting in beneficial ways with others.

I think the mystic tradition is universal to every faith-system. The names change, but the essential otherness of the experience is the same. A Hindu Swami could say almost exactly the same thing, except with Brahma, Lord Vishnu, and Shiva in place of the Christian tradition's cast. We are born in a culture, and sometime adopt one, and by doing so have referentials, memes and icons going down to an intimate level.

Not saying you don't think this

This leads me to believe either that this is just something our brains let us experience, but has no physical reality, or that god is an awful lot larger than most people give it credit for. NDE back this belief up, as do experiments on the so-called "god-spot" in the humasn brain.

• free2beme
    free2beme

To me, is a measure of your character.

Are you really going to say, "I can not be a Witnesses, because they are wrong on this and this and that." Showing that you have a hard time with being in an organization with so many imperfections. A religion, that for the most part, takes a lot of effort to discover all the wrongs they have made. Then you go to another religion, like Catholics, who are no different. Sure, there another branch of Christianity, and perhaps they have something right in your mind that the Witnesses did not. Yet, I can go online and read about all their wrongs, same as the Witnesses. I can go to libraries and read about their wrongs, same as Witnesses. In fact, with these huge religions, I can even see programs exposing them on "The History Channel" and other similar type programs. So honestly, if you want to rejoin another religion of Christianity that you know has wrong in it and some right. Why not just be a Witnesses again? Less effort needed, and you already know the basics.

• mouthy
    mouthy

Why not just be a Witnesses again? Less effort needed, and you already know the basics.

Go to your room!!!! or wash your mouth out!!!

You know I love ya. BUT!!!!!Rethink your suggestion & come back with a differant one (((HUG)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit