so what was the best "religious" movie ever made?

by nowisee 38 Replies latest jw friends

• skinnyboy
    skinnyboy

does Samuel L Jackson quoting Ezekiel count?

Contact was intesting, the Book by Carl Sagan was better though.

• Lilycurly
    Lilycurly

Dogma-I love Dogma, even though I am not into the catholic faith (or christian faith for that matter) I love how they made all religions sound a bit screwed up and totally off-track. And also...Alanis Morisette as God, you can't get better then this!lol Rickman as the Metatron is da bomb.lol

• defd
    defd

10 commandments so far.

• Mary
    Mary

Hmmm........I'd have to say The Ten Commandments with Ben Hur being a close second........and Blessed Are the Cheese Makers Life of Brian in third place.........and let's not forget Monty Python's The Holy Grail.......

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

To me the best Bible movie ever is Pasolini's Gospel according to St. Matthew. Absolute respect of the letter and spirit of the text, incredible sensitiveness.

Now as to religious movies in a broader sense... everything from Tarkovsky comes first. Then Dreyer (Ordet or The Passion of St. Joan of Arc) or Pasolini's Theorem.

In a more critical way, much of Bergman (especially The Communicants and Through the Mirror where he most closely focuses on religious issues).

In a parodic yet deep way, The Life of Brian is great. Also many of Buñuel's movies, such as Viridiana, Symeon or The Milky Way.

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

Dogma and The Ten Commandments.

I've never heard of the Life of Brian.

• Tristram
    Tristram

The Rapture (just "what if" it is true...?)

The Last Temptation of Christ

Dogma

• daystar
    daystar

Last Temptation of Christ

The Truman Show

What The *BLEEP* Do We Know?

Waking Life

Almost anything by David Lynch

OT, not a movie, but I enjoy watching Joel Osteen on occasion. For a Christian, he gives quite a lot of just good advice.

• mrsjones5
  • Billygoat
    Billygoat

I'm embarrassed to say that I'm not much of a movie buff. I don't watch that many movies, let alone religious ones. But a few years ago Mozz pretty much forcibly sat me down to watch The Last Temptation of Christ. I was blown away. It was a life changing movie for me. I am hesitant to recommend it, because it was so life-changing for me. I don't want to build it up and it be a disappointment to them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit