The March of Gay Rights

by truthseeker 37 Replies latest jw friends

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Bstndance, that was interesting info, never saw it clearly till now. Thing is, some gays do want to see the destruction of mainstream family life, even if others do not agree with them.

I'm trying to be flexible, but my personal feelings do not agree with gay marriage - that really is between a man and a women. Now, if you talk about civil marriage, that is something else.

They have a tought fight ahead of them.

Avishai, that was funny, LOL.

• joelbear
    joelbear

the fight for gay marriage mainly affects the children of gay people so its an important fight since many of these kids live in a state of limbo.

personally, i just want basic human rights like littlerockguy says.

• avishai
    avishai
    Bstndance, that was interesting info, never saw it clearly till now. Thing is, some gays do want to see the destruction of mainstream family life, even if others do not agree with them

So do some straight people. Point?

MOST people don't want to see family life "destroyed". It's just a stupid goal.

• avishai
    avishai

And what's the difference between civil marriage and "regular" marriage? Personally, I don't think we should be legislating marriage, period. It's an agreement between two people, a contract.

More laws, especially ones that legislate "morality" are ridiculous.

I mean, first, on the conservative side, they bitch an moan about "Gay promiscuity" but then they don't want them to settle down with one person, especially because they' (folks like Rush, Dr. laura) are always quoting stats about marriage keeping people together as opposed to living together? I mean, WTF, which is it, people?

• Big Dog
    Big Dog
    And what's the difference between civil marriage and "regular" marriage? Personally, I don't think we should be legislating marriage, period. It's an agreement between two people, a contract.

Avashi,

The difference as I see it, that is the difference between a civil marriage and a regular marriage as you put it is that one is the more traditional man-woman union and has religious overtones, a civil union is simply a union between two people that is recognized by law. In my opinion this is how it should work, all of us married folk, whether gay or straight should have civil union licenses from the state which give us legal rights as couples, if we so choose we can have a ceremony at our church for the religious sanctioning of the union where we recieve some certificate or whatever from the church indicating that the marriage was sanctified based on that faith's beliefs. As I see it the government has no business in the religious aspect of marriage once so ever in a reverse type of church/government separation.

As you put it, marriage is an agreement between two people, or a contract, therefore it falls under contract/domestic law. The contract between two people is one of huge importance affecting everything from inheritence, insurance coverage, custody of children, pensions, etc. so it needs to be legislated as there is a lot at stake here from a public policy stand point.

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956
    some gays do want to see the destruction of mainstream family life, even if others do not agree with them.

Some data on this please.

• Insomniac
    Insomniac

Oh, for pity's sake, here we go again.

If you don't like the idea of gay marriage, then don't marry someone of your own gender, simple as that. And as long as the gays aren't attempting to block my right to wed, then I shouldn't try to block theirs.

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Gretchen,

I have decided against continuing this post on the recommendation of others, it's for the best.

Truthseeker

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit