The March of Gay Rights

by truthseeker 37 Replies latest jw friends

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

If this topic is too uncomfortable for anyone, might I suggets you contact a moderator and close it. I will respect any decision made.

Truthseeker.

• Caedes
    Caedes

I heard on the news today that there was a guy killed in london in what the police describe as a homophobic attack. There is still a long way to go.

Whoever wrote the article is a reactionary bigot making sweeping statements about a group he evidently has no personal experience of.

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

(A widely cited 1978 study by Alan P. Bell and Martin S. Wineburg reported that 43 percent of homosexuals had more than five hundred sex partners during their lifetime.)

I wonder if a similiar study was done on heterosexual men. I know of lots of heterosexual men, married and single who who have strings of illegitimate kids and sexual partners. What a biased and unbalanced article.

Have gays made any progress? Not as long as people like the ones writing this article spreading this shit around and the silence and apathy of people who don't care if anything is being done about it or not.

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

LittleRockguy, I was also interested in the Vatican statements made about gay priests. Supposedly, even if a priest is ACTING gay, this is enough for the Catholic Church to disfellowship him.

I am wondering if the Pope prefers a smaller, stricter worldwide membership than opening his arms to gay priests, women priests and allowing priests to marry.

Why does the Catholic Church not allow priests to marry? Paul did not forbid it, but he only cautioned against it. It was supposed to be a personal choice.

• thom
    thom

Reading something else into it? Just the title and the first few paragraphs show how strong an agenda this article has:
    ---"THE MARKETING OF EVIL"---
    ---"or we claim – utterly without evidence – that "gayness" is an inborn, genetic trait.
    "Reality, however, lies somewhere else. Deep down, people of conscience know homosexuality is neither an innocent, inborn "minority" characteristic like skin color, nor a conscious choice to become evil and to corrupt others."---
    So evidence is required to show being gay is inborn, but "people of conscience" (no evidence) know better? Sounds like a WT article at least in that part.

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Thom, I didn't write the article.

Caedes, I believe this is what you were referring to...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/london/4353004.stm

• joelbear
    joelbear

don't we cover this subject a bit too often on this board. i mean go back and read 100 other threads about rights, the gay agenda etc.

but then i'm reading it aren't I.

Gays don't have more rights or enjoy more tolerance now because of a few men and women in a room in Virginia plotting an overthrow.

Gays have empowered themselves. Through the march on Washington in 1987, 1993 (I was at that one) and 2000, they found out that they weren't alone or isolated. Our minds were boggled by seeing how many of us there were.

This in turn led us to be braver about coming out to our friends, workmates and families. The more of us that came out. They more our associates sought to understand us. The more they understood us, the less they feared us.

Society is changing in many ways. It views blacks, women, the handicapped and a number of other groups totally different now than it did before the 1960's. What a decade!

It also views homosexuals differently due maintly because it knows so much more about us now.

Am I happy that I am gay? You play with the cards you are dealt. I was never asked if I would rather have blonde hair, a higher metabolism, steadier nerves or a host of other Joel attributes either.

Why am I gay? I have theories. I do believe it is a mixture of nurture and nature neither of which I had any control over. I tend to think nature is the more dominant. As I have said on here before I simply cannot think of a type of treatment by my mother or father that would have led me to start sticking stuff up my butt when I was 10. My father is ignoring me, why that shampoo bottle looks like it could come in quite handy during my bathtime tonight.

Most gay people simply don't have the time for an agenda. We are too busy living. It would be nice not to be afraid of losing my job, but I wouldn't want to work for someone that didn't want me there anyway. I guess it would be nice to marry, but for Mitch and I it is irrelevant, we've been together 17 years and everything is in both our names.

The real negative effect of denying gays their rights both affect children. It affects children who are gay and the children of gay people. In both cases the nastiness hurts them the most, exponentially more that it hurts gay grown ups.

Most gay kids have straight parents. So in the end they are simply hurting their own progeny.

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Joelbear, thanks for your input and experiences.

Maybe we should call it a day and have LadyLee make a "Best of Gay" in her Best Off series.

I think that certain persons can be dispositioned that way by birth. I don't believe in a "gay gene" but then again, there are so many studies of gay people - they are supposed to smell scents differently, have smaller brains or brains with increased activity than straights.

It does seem that gays are slowly getting the legal recognition to their rights in many lands, although I doubt the Moslem world will make progress, such as Canada and Spain.

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Ironic, that when I post I keep seeing the ad, "Is gay marriage wrong?" at the bottom of the screen.

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

It never hurts to bring up a subject again since there are so many new people posting and more than likely new lurkers who haven't seen the older threads on subjects like this.

But like Joelbear said, like everybody else, most gays are to busy making a living and living their lives to try to push an agenda. At least I know I am. As far as people pushing for gay rights and if you ask 3 different gay people you will get different answers of what that means to them since there are different shades of gay (sexuality isn't just "heterosexual and homosexualstraight" or "gay"). Some gays want marriage and some gays are against it; preferring domestic partnerships.

I personally just want human rights, the same rights as any other human being regardless of what I do in the privacy of my own bedroom.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit